- A handsome detached village residence in a no through lane
- En suite shower room to master bedroom and family bathroom
- Double garage and parking
- Level walk to Whitchurch primary school
- Potential to covert garage office into further bedroom/ possible shower room
- 3/4 bedrooms
- Built to exacting standards by Donfield Developments
- Walled gardens
- Walk to Pangbourne station and local facilities
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
Pangbourne centre & railway station 10 minutes' walk (fast trains to London Paddington 47 minutes) ● Easy access Reading (6 miles) & Oxford by rail & road ● M4 (junc 12) 6 miles ● Heathrow 45 minutes by car (all distances approximate)
2,547 sq ft / 237 m² (all measurements are approximate)
A handsome detached 3/4 bedroom village residence situated on a peaceful no through lane.
Situated within the heart of one of the most sought-after Thameside villages in this part of the world, within easy walking distance of the highly regarded village primary school, 2 village pubs, the River Thames and Pangbourne with its fine selection of specialist shops and station offering fast commuter links to London.
The Gables was built in 1991 to exacting standards by the well-known local builders Donfield Developments, noted for their individual and high-quality properties. The architects design was inspired by Lutyens and the present owner has been in residence for some 13 years.
The property has been constructed of contrasting clay brick under a clay tiled roof, with a fine central bay with windows rising from the ground floor through to the first floor, giving tremendous light to the interior hall and fine landing with its uniquely curved galleried balustrade.
There is high security, the gardens are mainly walled, the side and rear gardens enclosed by high close boarded fencing, entered from a pair of substantial metal gates for vehicular access, and to one side a pedestrian gate of similar construction.
The large brick forecourt could hold at least 2 parked cars, and gives access to the double garage. Part of the garage has been converted to a studio, with glazed doors overlooking the garden, and could be used as bedroom 4.
The interior of the property is bright and spacious and typical of the earlier Lutyens style. This is an elegant and very pretty house.
• The level easy walking distance to the two Whitchurch pubs, primary school, Thames, church and Pangbourne with its fine selection of specialist shops
• Pangbourne also has fast train connections to London Paddington, with Crossrail due from Reading
• The fine proportions of the reception rooms
• The studio which could easily become bedroom 4, with the introduction of a shower room with the mains drains lying adjacent
• The office could also be used as a bedroom with its adjacent cloakroom
• High security, seclusion and complete privacy
• Sunny gardens with access on both sides from the front to the rear
• The off-lane car parking
• Pretty reception hall with to one side a study area
• Separate office
• Large kitchen / breakfast room is fully fitted with an extensive range of pretty hand painted high and low level Mark Wilkinson cupboard and drawer units, fitted extractor hood over a ceramic hob, 1 ½ bowl stainless stell sink unit with drainer, fitted pull-out pantry unit, fitted fridge and freezer, fitted dishwasher, easy access from kitchen to dining room with a pretty rear hallway which has French doors giving access to the garden
• Large very attractive Mark Wilkinson dresser unit in the rear hallway
• The drawing room is of fine proportion with an ornately carved pine Georgian style fireplace surround, set on a raised hearth fitted with a Jetmaster coal effect gas fire which might be reinstated as an open fire if so required, and French doors opening onto the gardens
• French doors from the dining room to the front gardens
• All windows are primary double glazed
• Outstanding wide graceful staircase leading to a half landing with bow shaped gallery and windows rising from the ground floor giving light to the galleried landing
• All the main bedrooms have fitted wardrobes and plenty of cupboard storage areas
• Pressurised water system
• Utility room is plumbed for washing machine and has a door to the rear garden
Summary of accommodation: reception hall, drawing room, dining room, office/ bedroom 4, study area to hall, kitchen/breakfast room, utility room, cloakroom, 3 double bedrooms, recently refitted family bathroom with shower, ensuite shower room to bedroom 1, double garage, part of which is a fully insulated studio and could easily be bedroom, with adjacent main drain for bathroom.
Gardens: The gardens have been landscaped for ease of maintenance, and both the forecourt and very private front garden are brick paved, although the main garden area could be laid to grass if so desired. The gardens are delightful and surround the property with perennial and herbaceous borders, side access with fruit trees and herb garden and the rear garden has a raised astro turf lawn and is part stone paved, with a pretty loggia with grapevine, a summer house and potting shed. The main part of the gardens to the front enjoy the sun from both the south and the west and are completely secluded and very private with to one-side a summer dining area.
Garage doors are remote controlled.
Local Facilities: The Gables is within easy level walking distance of Pangbourne village centre with its fine selection of award-winning independent shops, a supermarket, health centre, dentists, library, hairdressers, barbers, restaurants and riverside pubs. The River Thames runs between the villages and there are riverside meadows, part-owned by the National Trust, the Thames Path, a children's play area, tennis courts, football pitches, a bowling club and Pangbourne Adventure Dolphin centre offering canoeing and climbing instruction. Whitchurch-on-Thames also has two fine character pubs in The Greyhound and Ferryboat, both serving food. Just a few minutes' walk from the cottage is beautiful open countryside with many scenic footpaths and bridle paths.
Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens is a couple of miles up the road and is a lovely place for young families with amazing animals, birds, gardens, play parks, a splash pool and miniature train. Near to Beale Park is Basildon Park, the National Trust property, featuring a splendid Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
Pangbourne offers superb transport links with a fast train service to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading which will benefit from the upcoming Crossrail, offering fast links to the City, as well as buses to all local areas. Waitrose can be found at both Tilehurst (approx. 4 miles) and Wallingford.
Schools: The property is in the catchment area of Langtree Secondary School at Woodcote, and Whitchurch Primary School which is a 2 minutes' walk, has an outstanding record.
Whitchurch-on-Thames is located within easy reach of a number of independent schools; Pangbourne College, Bradfield College and St Andrew's Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory, Downe House, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School.
Directions: From the offices of Singleton and Daughter, turn left and left again at the mini roundabout. At the next mini roundabout turn left at The George Hotel, cross over the River Thames toll bridge and enter the village of Whitchurch. Continue along the High Street, and just before The Greyhound Inn on your right, turn right into Eastfield Lane and The Gables is the first property on the left.
Post Code: RG8 7EJ
Services: Mains water and drainage, gas, electricity.
EPC Rating: D
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: South Oxfordshire, Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.