- Set in the very heart of the village
- Enormous potential to extend or for a new dwelling subject to pp
- Set in the highly sought after Manor Road
- Good sized gardens extending to nearly a third of an acre
- A charming Edwardian House circa 1900
- Walk to shops and station
- Fine views
- 4 bedrooms/ 2018 sq ft/ 188 sq m
- NO CHAIN
Walking distance to station, shops, restaurants, pubs, River Thames and primary School ● M4 Junction 12 20 minutes` drive ● Wallingford 7 miles ● Reading 11 miles (all distances & measurements are approximate)
2,018 sq ft / 188 m² Gardens & grounds 0.33 acres / 0.13 hectare (all measurements are approximate)
Set in the heart of this famous, sought after Thames side period village, a charming detached 4 bedroom Edwardian house. Constructed circa 1900 and owned by the same family for the past 60 years, it is understood they are only the second family to have owned the property since it was built.
The Orchard is set amidst what can only be described as sleepy, secret gardens where time seems to have stood still.
The property is entered from the beginning of Manor Road, almost next door to Goring Free Church, and opposite the fine period church of St Thomas of Canterbury. You could easily walk from the High Street and past The Orchard without noticing that it was there.
The Orchard is valuably unlisted. There is lots of potential to improve the existing house which is substantially constructed with red clay bricks, with large windows, high ceilings and original fireplaces true to the period. There is also the possibility of extending the house if so desired, subject to local authority planning permission. Within the gardens there is further potential with the possibility of a building plot to create a new village residence within these beautiful gardens.
● The very lovely secret gardens within the centre of this sought after Thames side period village
● The tremendous potential for improvement to the existing building or for a new dwelling in the gardens subject to local authority planning permission
● Easy walking distance to station giving commuter access to Paddington, also shops restaurants, schools, pubs, buses, medical clinic, vets, Post Office, lots of specialist shops and a small supermarket
● The fine period red brick and knapped flint wall, with pedestrian and garage entrance from Manor Road
● The gardens with sun terrace, well maintained lawn, flower beds, herbaceous borders, vegetable garden and a fruit orchard
● On the left hand side of the boundary is a single brick constructed garage with room for a further garage if required, there is also a timber garden store on the far right behind the hedge
● Some fine views to the wooded Streatley hills rising in the distance
Summary of accommodation: Entrance lobby, door to conservatory, reception hall, sitting room with open fireplace, dining room, rear lobby, door to kitchen/breakfast room, rear access to garden, coal and log store, utility room, WC, storage area, further store room/workshop with door to front gardens, staircase to first floor, half landing with window overlooking rear, 3 bedrooms, family bathroom, ensuite bathroom to bedroom 3, staircase to 2nd floor, door to attic store room and door to bedroom 4.
Gardens and grounds: Side entrance to both sides of the property to the rear, timber constructed garden store, vegetable garden, well maintained lawns, herbaceous borders, orchard with fruit trees and mature walnut, single garage and on street parking for a further car.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.33 acre / 0.13 hectare.
Local facilities: The village of Goring on Thames has a fine selection of specialist shops, a small supermarket, buses, a medical clinic, vets, Post Office and the station giving fast train connections to London Paddington, and also Reading which is soon to have Crossrail.
Two national walking trails; The Ridgeway and the Thames Path intersect at Goring and Streatley, making the villages a popular stopping off point for those who prefer long distance walks. However the area is equally popular for its countryside allowing pleasant strolls both along the river and on the beautiful hills that bestride the Goring Gap with magnificent views in all directions across Oxfordshire and Berkshire.
There are pretty pubs and restaurants in the village to include The Swan and The Miller of Mansfield, and the riverside Beetle and Wedge a short drive in Moulsford. An excellent Waitrose will be found 10 minutes away in the riverside market town of Wallingford.
Every summer the two villages host the Gap Festival, 4 days of entertainment, education and inspiration with top national musicians, singers, writers, artists & performers mixed with the cream of local talent. Classical music mixes with soul, indie and opera, whilst experts in art, literature, design and more, share their experiences.
Goring & Streatley Golf Club is an excellent golf course and club, and there is also a vibrant tennis club with all-weather courts.
Schools: There are excellent local schools for all ages in the surrounding area, including Goring C of E Primary School within walking distance, and Langtree Secondary School, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory School for Boys, The Oratory Preparatory School and Senior School, Pangbourne College, Bradfield College, St Andrew`s Preparatory School, Elstree and Downe House, Abingdon Boys and The School of St Helen & Katharine all within easy driving distance.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn right, proceed in the direction of Streatley. At the Streatley traffic lights with The Bull pub on the left, turn right. Proceed through Streatley High Street, over the Thames river bridge until you see the Miller of Mansfield public house on your left hand side, turn right into Manor Road and the entrance to the Orchard will be found a short distance along on the left hand side, just past the house known as The Manse.
Post Code: RG8 9DP
Services: All mains including electricity, water drainage and gas, providing gas central heating and hot water.
EPC rating: F
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: South Oxfordshire, Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.