- Unique detached property
- Three double bedrooms
- Lovely period features
- Ample parking
- Magnificent 24ft drawing room
- Two bathrooms
- Good size gardens
- Tucked away location
Reading 4 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 6 miles ● Pangbourne 5 minutes` drive ● Tilehurst train station 1 mile (all distances approximate)
1,898 sq ft / 176 m²
Gardens & Grounds 0.29 acres / 0.12 hectares
(all measurements are approximate)
A unique, very interesting detached 3 bedroom house built in the grounds of an adjacent Georgian Rectory demolished in the late 1960s. Constructed and designed for the present owner and we quote her instructions to the architect `in the style of a Regency tarts villa`.
The well-known architect Jack Pym was commissioned in 1970 by the present owner who had very definite ideas as to the style of construction. She wanted a house built in the style of the Regency period and it is hard to believe on the visual appearance of the interior and exteriors, that this is not a period house.
The present owner loved the wonderful Georgian 8 panelled doors that were taken from the demolished Georgian Rectory so much that the architect was instructed that the house must be built around these doors.
To the front there is a vehicular and pedestrian access, with a gravel track leading and opening out onto the front of the property into a car parking area and there is plenty of room here for garages if so required, subject to local authority planning permission.
● Large kitchen/breakfast room
● Large reception hall and first floor landing
● Spectacular sitting room with its large sash windows overlooking the gardens, with an open fireplace and oak floor, Georgian 8 panelled doors with brass fittings opening into the dining room
● The dining room has French doors opening directly onto the east side of the gardens
● All 3 bedrooms are doubles; bedroom 3 is on the ground floor to the side of the sitting room, with an ensuite bathroom
● Plenty of room for extension on both the east and west side, subject to local authority planning permission
● Dining room and bedroom 3 have superb bays with sash windows
Summary of accommodation: Entrance lobby, door to the ventilated cellar with window, large reception hall with oak floor, cloakroom, 24ft wide drawing room with oak floor, double doors leading into dining room, Kitchen/breakfast room with AGA. Double bedroom with ensuite bathroom. First floor; fine staircase leading past a large sash window, large landing, pair of sash windows looking east and west over the gardens, 2 double bedrooms with large sash windows, family bathroom.
Gardens & grounds: Part walled gardens mainly to the rear, enjoy a south-westerly aspect, laid mainly to lawn, with an abundance of mature trees, shrubs, fruit trees, to include; bay, apple, fig, wisteria, holly, cherry and magnolia.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.29 acres / 0.12 hectares.
Local facilities: Purley has a thriving and active community and is perfectly situated to enjoy the best of the River Thames and surrounding countryside, whilst giving excellent transport links with shops and amenities nearby.
Tilehurst train station is nearby, giving fast train connections to London Paddington and Reading. Reading town centre is 4 miles, with a bus route via the Oxford Road to Reading and neighbouring towns and the M4 Junction 12 at Theale is just 6 miles (all measurements are approximately).
There is a marina in Purley on Thames for the boating enthusiast, and lovely walks to be enjoyed in nearby Sulham woods.
Waitrose is situated a few minutes` drive as well as the village shop that incorporates a Post Office. Within a short distance is the thriving village of Pangbourne which has a fine selection of award winning independent shops, a small supermarket, a health centre, dentists, a library, hairdressers, riverside pubs and fine restaurants.
Excellent schools: The property is close to the Ofsted rated Purley Primary C of E School and, also, within the catchment is Denefield Secondary school. Pangbourne College, Bradfield College and St Andrew`s Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory School, Downe House, Cranford House, Queen Anne`s and Moulsford Preparatory School.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter turn left and at the mini roundabout turn left again. Proceed through Pangbourne towards Reading on the A329 and upon entering Purley on Thames, turn left at the traffic lights into Purley Lane. Continue down the hill over the railway bridge and take the first right.
Post Code: RG8 8AT
Services: All main, including gas. Gas fired central heating.
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band F.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.