- Five bedroom character family house
- In the heart of Pangbourne village
- Lots of character and excellent ceiling heights
- Detached double garage
- Valuably unlisted
- Tremendous potential for extension (stpp)
- Gardens of approx 0.69 acres
Valuably unlisted. Excellent ceiling heights.
Tremendous potential for extension (subject to PP).
Pangbourne village centre, a few minutes` walk to shops & train station ● Reading 6 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 5 miles ● Fast trains to London Paddington (47 minutes) ● Heathrow 45 mins drive (all distances/times are approximate)
2,950 sq ft / 274 m²
Gardens & Grounds 0.69 acre/ 0.28 hectares (all measurements are approximate)
A village house of immense charm and character, part 17th century with some later major additions.
Situated in one of the most sought-after residential lanes within the heart of Pangbourne village, originally owned by the Church, in private ownership for many years with the present owners enjoying occupation for some 34 years.
This is a very peaceful and private location; Riverview Road is a no-through private road within easy walking access to the station and the centre of the village with all its wonderful facilities.
The gardens are unique in their beauty, all sides of the house painting a different picture and each with its own magic and mystery.
● The peace and tranquillity here is wonderful, and yet a very, easy short walk to the shops, train station and amenities.
● Elm Cottage is valuably unlisted and whilst the property is in very good order throughout there is lots of potential for extension, if so desired, subject to local authority planning permission
● Lots of character with excellent ceiling heights throughout
● All the main rooms look into the garden and down to its large level lawned area, screened on all sides by majestic mature trees
● The master bedroom suite is situated to the first floor of the oldest part of the building
●There is a bedroom and bathroom on the ground floor and 4 further bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, including the beamed master suite, on the first floor
● Within the oldest part of the house there is a fine open log fire (currently not in use) and original beamed high ceiling. Another open log fire to the drawing room
● Pretty views over the rooftops of adjacent period houses and a fine view of the ancient bell tower of the Church of St James the Less
● Completely private, this garden, with its well-planned vegetable and cut flower garden, has been tended with a devotion and care over so many years it would be difficult to find its equal and yet it is only a few minutes from the village centre
● The rear gardens have a unique pathway running round creating what could only be described as a garden amphitheatre with terraces of beautifully maintained flower beds giving colour in every season
● The gardens receive the sun all day long with the rear terrace gaining the westerly sun in the evening and the front terrace in the afternoon
● Recently fitted loft installation
Summary of accommodation: Reception hall, drawing room, dining room, sitting room with conservatory, kitchen, utility room, 5 bedrooms (to include child`s single bedroom), 3 bathrooms. Gas fired central heating. Double detached garage with wood store, greenhouse. Gardens and grounds extending to approximately 0.69 acre / 0.28 ha
Note 1: Solar panels have been fitted to the garage roof supplying electricity and a separate heat exchange panel supplying hot water.
Local facilities: Pangbourne is a wonderful period village with a fine selection of award winning independent shops, a small supermarket, health centre, dentists, library, hairdressers, riverside pubs and fine restaurants. Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens is a lovely place for young families with amazing animals, birds, gardens, play parks, a splash pool and miniature train. Basildon Park is a National Trust property featuring a splendid Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
There are also plenty of facilities for the golfing enthusiast in the area – Streatley Hills, Mapledurham and Calcot to name but a few.
Pangbourne offers superb transport links with a fast train service to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading, the imminent Crossrail offering fast links to the City in the coming years, as well as buses to all local areas. Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only five minutes driving distance.
There is a first class fitness centre at Bradfield College, which is open to membership, with a very fine indoor swimming pool, gymnasium, squash courts, indoor tennis courts and 9-hole golf course. Waitrose and Sainsburys are also within easy driving distance. Fielders Farm Shop on the Englefield road, is the other side of Tidmarsh.
Excellent schools: Elm Cottage is located within easy reach of a number of fine schools. Pangbourne College, Bradfield College and St Andrew`s Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory School, Downe House, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School. There are bus pick up points in Pangbourne for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon, and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey. Pangbourne Primary School is in the village and within walking distance, which has foundation stage 1 and Pangbourne is also within the catchment area for Theale Green School (with school bus pick up in the village).
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter turn left, pass over the mini roundabout passing The Elephant Hotel on the right. Turn first right at St James the Less Church into Pangbourne Hill. A short distance along turn first right into Riverview Road. Elm Cottage is the first property on the right hand side.
Post Code: RG8 7AU
Services: Mains water, electricity, gas and drainage.
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.