- Architect designed residence
- Four bedrooms
- Three reception rooms
- Heated swimming pool
- Far reaching views.
- Peaceful private location
- Three bathrooms
- Approx 0.75 acres of gardens
- Double detached garage
- Solar electricity generating a annual income.
Pangbourne shops & station 3 miles ● Reading 6 miles ● M4 (Junc 12) 6 miles (all distances are approximate)
2,727 sq ft / 253 m² Gardens & Grounds 0.75 acres / 0.3 hectares (all measurements are approximate)
A distinctive, detached, single storey residence enjoying an exclusive location within a peaceful and very private close in the heart of this pretty, period semi-rural village. Set on high ground, Hemma was individually, architect-designed and constructed to the highest standards in the late 1970s with the present owners having continued a high level of maintenance and improvement.
Marvellous far reaching rural views over natural pastureland to the rear of the property.
• The plot is fabulous, beautifully landscaped with an imposing entrance drive and landscaped gardens.
• Marvellous, far-reaching views from the rear are enjoyed from all rooms over unspoilt, gently sloping, lightly wooded countryside of outstanding beauty and tranquillity
• This is a light, spacious family house with vaulted ceilings, timber clad, to both the dining room and drawing room
• The drawing room has a recently fitted wood burning stove
• There is a beautifully constructed stone paved terrace to one side of the drawing room with a doorway giving access and there are further doors giving access to the rear gardens from the kitchen/breakfast room, sitting room/living room and the master bedroom
• All exterior windows and doors, are both attractive, and very efficient as they are primary double-glazed.
• A particularly valuable feature is the complete privacy that the property enjoys, both to the interior of the property and the gardens
• There are neighbours, so the property is not isolated; high hedges keep privacy
• There is a pretty summerhouse towards the rear of the garden with a stone terrace for summer dining
• The heated swimming pool has been carefully positioned within the landscaping of the rear gardens and is enclosed by attractive paling fencing and well- maintained hedges
• On the far right hand side, there are two greenhouses one of which has an electricity supply. There is also a garden shed with log store behind and a substantial and productive vegetable garden
• The garden is a delight in all seasons
• There are Photovoltaic cells give a useful additional energy supply. There is also cavity wall and roof insulation and a water softener
Summary of accommodation: Reception hall, inner hall, cloaks cupboard, drawing room, dining room, sitting room, kitchen/breakfast room, utility room, cloakroom, 4 bedrooms, ensuite bathroom with shower and walk-in dressing room/wardrobe to bedroom 1, ensuite shower room to guest bedroom, family bathroom, full oil-fired central heating, full security system, heated outdoor swimming pool, double detached garage, 2 greenhouses, garden store, summerhouse.
Gardens and grounds: The landscaped gardens feature fruit trees , soft fruit and many unusual shrubs and plants, a pretty summerhouse with a stone terrace for summer dining, a heated swimming pool enclosed by attractive paling fencing and well-maintained hedges. On the far right hand side there are two greenhouses a log store and garden shed and a productive vegetable garden.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.75 acres / 0.3 hectares.
Local facilities: Upper Basildon is a much sought after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village Market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has a football club and an excellent tennis club. The Red Lion is a popular pub serving local ales and food. Various clubs and activities use the church centre and or the main church.
For the equestrian enthusiast there is a large livery yard with many bridle paths surrounding the village. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes` drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including a butchers, cheese shop, organic farm shop, supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. The station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 45 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City). Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only 6 miles drive giving easy access to airports.
Schools: There are plenty of schools in the area; Upper Basildon Primary School is within walking distance, St Andrew`s Preparatory School is only a few minutes` drive, as are Pangbourne College and Bradfield College. There is also The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Note 1: Solar electricity generation - income received through the feed-in-tariff for electricity generated in the 58 months from February 2012 to November 2016 was £7,842.03.
Annual average payment - £1,622 per annum.
The feed-in-tariff increases each year with the retail price index (RPI) and is currently 49.43p per kWh generated, with circa 20 years to run on this contract.
In addition, there is a reduction in the number of units imported from the grid due to solar generation.
Also, half of the solar electricity generated is deemed to be unused by Hemma`s vendor`s and is sold back to the grid at 3.48p/ kWh, resulting in a further reduction in the electricity bill.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, pass over the mini roundabout and The Elephant Hotel. Turn right into Pangbourne Hill at St James the Less Church, proceed up Pangbourne Hill until you find a signpost just after the entrance to Pangbourne College directing you to the right to Upper Basildon, turn right. Proceed along this road, passing the village green, the church, The Red Lion public house, and just after Bethesda Street, turn right into the cul de sac and the property is the third on the left hand side.
Services: Mains water, electricity, septic tank drainage, oil-fired central heating
Post Code: RG8 8NG
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: West Berkshire. Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.