- Detached 4/5 bedroom 18th century farmhouse
- In excellent order throughout
- Superb views
- Good sized reception rooms
- A light bright period house
- Catchment for the "Ofsted outstanding" The Downs senior school
- Double detached garage
- 4 double bedrooms
- Generous gardens enjoying the southerly sun
Pangbourne 9 miles ● Newbury 11 miles ● Didcot Parkway 12 miles (trains to Paddington 45 minutes) ● Reading 15 miles ● Oxford 20 miles ● Heathrow 1 hour (all distances /timings are approximate)
2,351 sq ft / 218 m²
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.35 acre / 0.14 hectare
(all measurements are approximate)
A very attractive 4 bedroom detached 18th century house, beautifully restored and valuably unlisted with some more recent additions, enjoying fine rural views.
Meadow Farm was tastefully restored, reconstructed and modernised in 2004 to exacting standards. Both the sitting room and the farmhouse kitchen/breakfast room show the original open fireplaces with bread ovens, the kitchen now fitted with a wood burning stove.
The property is set in a generous south-facing plot with pretty landscaped gardens. There are shrubberies, flower beds, well-maintained lawns and hedges and a shallow stream with a bridge over connecting to further lawn areas, a garden store and detached double garage building. There is a summer dining area with summer house and loggia, and views over natural farmland.
Meadow Farm is situated within the magnificent Berkshire Downs, part of the North Wessex Downs which are noted to be of outstanding rural beauty.
● The kitchen is fitted with an extensive range of hardwood units, a fitted propane 4 ring propane hob with extractor over and below double electric ovens, fitted dishwasher, 1 ¼ bowl sink, swan neck mixer taps, very attractive original terracotta and brick polished flooring
● Spacious sitting room, with windows on two sides, an original open fireplace with log fire with canopy over and still showing the original bread ovens, an original red brick chimney breast rising to the ceiling with exposed beams to the ceiling
● There are excellent ceiling heights to the major rooms
● The separate dining room with bespoke hardwood cupboard concealing the Worcester propane fired gas boiler supplying central heating and hot water.
● Walk-through access from the dining room to a rear lobby/utility room with plumbing for washing machine and vent for tumble dryer, door to a modern shower room which serves a ground floor bedroom 5/study, overlooking the rear gardens
● Generous staircase to first floor landing, with sliding doors to large cupboards used as wardrobes and an airing cupboard
● On the first floor there are 3 double bedrooms, a large well fitted family bathroom with bath and shower, and a staircase from the landing gives access to bedroom 4, which is also a double and has wonderful far-reaching views
● Replacement primary double-glazed windows
● There is a right of way access from the Wallingford Road, maintained by Church Farm
● The water is very pure and is obtained from subterranean streams, the winter brook and to the east of the property the pang. The extraction of water is checked on a regular basis for purity by the environment agency
● Damp proof guarantee of 20 years, from 2008
Summary of accommodation: Entrance lobby, sitting room, dining room, kitchen/breakfast room, rear lobby/utility room, study/bedroom 5 with door to shower room, four double bedrooms, family bathroom. Double garage.
Gardens: There are landscaped gardens which surround the property with shrubberies, flower beds, well-maintained hedges and lawns with a wide access drive with parking for a number of cars. To one side there is a brick laid path leading to a summer dining area with summer house and loggia and another bridge leading to the rear gardens mainly laid to lawn directly overlooking natural farmland.
Gardens & grounds extending to 0.35 acre/0.14 hectare (approximately)
Meadow Farm is presently let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement, with 3 months` notice period required for tenants to vacate.
Meadow Farm will be responsible for contribution by fair proportion to the maintenance of the drive from the highway to the property.
Local facilities: Compton is a quiet rural village on the edge of the Berkshire Downs, which is part of the very famous North Wessex Downs, an area noted to be of outstanding natural beauty. Situated just north of Newbury, yet extremely conveniently located with excellent access to major road and rail routes.
Mentioned in the Doomsday Book, Compton has a beautiful 13th century flint walled Parish church and many period buildings reflecting its long architectural heritage. There is a Post Office with a village general store, a barber, surgery, village hall, a play group, crèche, a Scout/Guide hut and a sports and recreation Centre. There is a cricket club and a running group. For the walker and equestrians there are many lovely footpaths and bridle paths around the village and on the Ridgeway.
Compton has long been associated with horse racing, and the village pub is named after the famous Grand National winner Foinavon, the pub has a restaurant and boutique hotel accommodation.
Schools: The village has two highly regarded schools with the same head teacher. The CE primary school and The Downs secondary school which is Ofsted rated `Outstanding`. There are excellent schooling facilities within easy driving distance to include; Pangbourne College, Bradfield College, St Andrew`s Preparatory School, Downe House, Brockhurst & Marlston House Preparatory School and Elstree Preparatory School.
Directions: In the village of Compton, with the Foinavon Public House on your left, turn into Horn Street, proceed along this road and bear round to the right into the Wallingford Road. Proceed to the end of this road and you will come to a bridge on your right, bear left before the bridge and there is an electric gate with a push button control to open, proceed onto the track, past Queensborough Cottage, proceed along the drive to the very end where Meadow Farm will be on the right, and on the left, the entrance to Painsbridge Barn.
Post Code: RG20 6PU
Services: Mains electricity, estate water supply (subject to a reasonable maintenance charge), modern sewage treatment plant drainage, propane gas providing hot water, heating and for hob cooking. The propane gas tank is concealed underground.
EPC Rating: F
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band E
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.