- Charming 2 bedroom period, detached cottage plus blacksmith's shop
- Lots of beautiful period features. Unlisted
- Rear gardens enjoy the South and Westerly sunshine
- Well fitted throughout
- Pretty, good sized cottage gardens, off street parking
- Sitting room with lots of charm and character
- Open fireplace with wood burner
- Detached Blacksmith's shop and single garage
- Utility lobby
Rose Cottage and Blacksmith's Shop
Stanford Dingley ● Berkshire
Pangbourne/station 5 miles ● Reading 9 miles ● Newbury 9 miles ● M4 (junction 12) 9 miles (all distances approximate)
1,147 sq ft / 107 m²
(all measurements are approximate)
A wonderful opportunity to acquire a pretty 2 bedroom detached period cottage and the Blacksmith's Shop. Set in the heart of this sought-after, unspoilt, sleepy period village, which time it appears has just passed by, Stanford Dingley is surrounded by countryside of outstanding natural beauty.
Rose Cottage is valuably unlisted, and dates from the late 17th century. With the Old Blacksmith's Shop, this offers tremendous potential for creating further accommodation if desired (subject to LAPP).
Rose Cottage has undergone modernisation of recent times to include a well-fitted kitchen, and modern bathroom.
The Blacksmith's Shop is separated from the cottage by a gravelled car parking area, and is presently used as an artist's studio. With a pretty bow fronted window, stable door access, and the original blacksmith's forge and chimney, and an attached single garage.
• Sitting room is very pretty with double aspect windows giving lots of light, original open fireplace with beam across fitted with a wood burning stove on a raised hearth
• Fine oak stable door gives access to the property with a reception hall that has ceramic tiling to the floor
• Well-fitted kitchen with peninsula breakfast bar, granite worksurfaces, lots of storage, butlers sink, polished pine illuminated china cupboard, fitted electric oven, fitted fridge and freezer, fitted dishwasher, 4 ring electric hob, extractor over, beamed ceiling, ceramic flooring and windows overlooking the side
• Bathroom has good quality modern fittings with curved shower screen and thermostatic controls
• Two double bedrooms, with high ceilings, an inter-communicating door and windows overlooking the side gardens from both rooms
• Off street car parking and pretty gardens
• To one side of the Blacksmith's Shop is an attached single garage which could be incorporated into the blacksmiths area to form further accommodation Subject to planning permission and building regs.
• Door to one side giving access to the gardens
• Both Rose Cottage and the Blacksmith's Shop are detached and it may be possible subject to LAPP to create a link from one to the other.
• The lane is very peaceful with mainly residential traffic and some visitors to the two highly regarded pubs.
• Both properties are in good decorative order
Summary of accommodation: Reception hall, sitting room, kitchen/breakfast room, bathroom, two bedrooms. Blacksmith's Shop (currently used as an artist's studio) with an attached single garage.
Gardens: The gardens to the rear of Rose Cottage gain the south and westerly sun. They are planted with yew hedges on both sides giving privacy. The main part of the garden is approx. 50 feet deep to include a sun terrace, and approx. 70 foot wide. A further area of garden on the left reaches to the lane.
Local facilities: Located in the heart of Stanford Dingley and within easy walking distance are the ancient and historic pubs with restaurants; The Bull which dates back to 15th century, and The Old Boot Inn which dates to the 18th century. The Bull has boutique hotel rooms, and is one of the very few pubs in the country to still have the pub game, ring The Bull.
A quintessential English village, Stanford is from the old English for Stoney-ford, perhaps indicating a Roman river crossing of the Pang heading towards Dorchester-on-Thames. Dingley was the name of the Lords of the Manor, one of their wives has a brass memorial in the 12th century village church, St Denys. The church has remnants of the original Saxon church within its inner walls and the main door and Nave wall date from the 13th century and the white wooden bell tower was built in the 15th century.
Just over a mile away are the villages of Bradfield and Bradfield Southend which has a wonderful community with a village store/Post Office, a cricket ground and a recreation ground. Bradfield has an excellent riding school, a village hall with all sorts of events and a children's play area, tennis courts and a tennis club.
Bradfield College has a fabulous sports complex open to public membership and a 9-hole golf course. Along Bucklebury Avenue is a health centre, a good pub and a cafe. In Yattendon, West Berkshire Brewery has their famous brewery.
The M4 Junction 12 at Theale is within easy driving access, as is M4 Junction 13. Reading is 9 miles, Newbury 9 miles, and Pangbourne village 5 miles with its tremendous selection of specialist shops and a train station giving fast links to London Paddington.
Schools: Schools abound including Bradfield Primary School, Yattendon Primary, Bradfield College, Pangbourne College, St Andrew's Preparatory School, Downe House, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory School for Boys, The Oratory, and Elstree.
Directions: In the village of Stanford Dingley, with The Bull pub on your right, the property is just after, on the left.
Post Code: RG7 6LS
Services: Mains water and drainage, electricity, oil fired central heating.
EPC Rating: E
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band E
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
0118 984 2662
Websites: singletonanddaughter.co.uk, rightmove.co.uk, mayfairoffice.co.uk, onthemarket.com, countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors.
(i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.