- Late Victorian/early Edwardian riverside house.
- Seven double bedrooms
- Triple garage
- Wonderful views
- Pangbourne Office 0118 984 2662
- Direct river frontage with approx 75ft deep water mooring.
- Period features throughout
- Ample parking
- Easy walk to village shops and train station
Pangbourne village centre, a few minutes' walk to shops & train station ● Fast trains to London Paddington (47 minutes) ● Reading 6 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 5 miles ● Heathrow 45 mins drive
(all distances/times are approximate)
4,623 sq ft / 430 m² (all measurements are approximate)
A splendid, very handsome and spacious, 7 bedroom, late Victorian, early Edwardian family house set within the heart of Pangbourne village with easy walking distance to shops, train station, schools and all the other wonderful amenities on offer.
Enjoying a spectacular location, directly overlooking the River Thames to Whitchurch Lock and across the water meadows to the wooded Chiltern Hills rising in the distance.
The gardens lead down to the direct river frontage with deep water mooring of approximately 75ft, with very pretty part walled, well-maintained gardens.
A peaceful location, with all floors enjoying the most wonderful views across the River Thames.
The lower ground floor has direct access to the gardens, and the ground floor has a large and spectacular Victorian style wrought iron balcony accessed by French doors from both the kitchen/breakfast room and the drawing room, enjoying river and rural views.
This 1903 property is a very fine example of late Victorian architecture. With carved stone quoins and stone framed windows, large bay windows to the front and the rear and an imposing original columned entrance porch. Original brick and flint walls on both sides of the property running the length of the front and rear gardens with a wide side entrance to the right hand side and on the left, a herb garden and entrance to the lower ground floor.
This is a substantial period house designed for family occupation, constructed of typical red brick under a clay tiled roof. There are some interesting examples of large brick chimney stacks typical of the period. The present and previous owners have improved and maintained this property to a high standard, with the introduction by the last owners of a triple garage block to one side with a wide forecourt for visitor parking.
To the interior of the property many original and important features have been retained. There are some wonderful examples of plaster moulded ceilings and fine Victorian marble fireplaces. The hall is large, spacious and typical of the period and throughout the property there are wonderful high ceilings.
There is lots of potential for the lower ground floor. Presently there is a laundry room, large hallway, double bedroom, gymnasium and two other rooms currently used as storage rooms which were at one time a bathroom and a kitchen, and a further sitting room with fireplace, perhaps once the cook's room. This whole area could once again become a self-contained 2-3 bedroom apartment with its own access, especially if it were to take in the large summer sitting room / games room, which has brand new, double glazed full height windows and doors, giving wonderful views across the river and would create a spectacular kitchen/dining/living space.
● Naturally stained and varnished original flooring within the kitchen/living room, sitting room, drawing room and dining room
● Fabulous summer sitting room/ games room with timber framed glazed panels and doors opening directly onto the gardens and enjoying spectacular river views
● Old oak planked flooring within the reception hall
● The graceful winding staircase with original hand rail leading from the hall to the first and second floors
● Sitting room has an efficient wood burning stove with original marble surround and mantelpiece
● Kitchen/breakfast room with French doors leading out to a Victorian style wrought iron balcony with a wrought iron spiral staircase leading down to the garden
● A luxurious fully fitted modern kitchen with window overlooking the river
● Modern bathrooms and shower rooms
● Pretty Victorian fireplaces
● A pair of original fitted pine linen cupboards to the second floor landing
● All seven bedrooms are doubles
● The windows to the rear of the property have been replaced and are primary double glazed, the windows to the front have either been replaced or have secondary double glazing with plantation shutters to the ground and some first floor windows to the front
● The large French doors and picture windows to the master bedroom suite taking full advantage of the wonderful views
Summary of accommodation: 7 bedrooms, 3 bath/shower rooms.
Ground floor; substantial columned entrance porch, large reception hall, dining room, drawing room, sitting room, kitchen/breakfast room with French doors leading out to balcony which has a spiral wrought iron staircase to the gardens below, cloakroom
Lower ground floor; large inner hallway, double bedroom, 2 store rooms once used as bathroom and kitchen, sitting room with open fireplace and French door, gymnasium, large summer sitting room/ games room , garden store, large laundry room with cloakroom
First floor; wide original staircase, large landing, 4 double bedrooms, family bathroom and ensuite shower room to bedroom one
Second floor; landing, 2 double bedrooms and shower room
Gardens, grounds and river mooring: Front gardens with herbaceous border and herb garden, access to 3 car garage with forecourt for further guest parking, to the left, steps leading down to the lower ground floor, and a side entrance on the right hand side gives access to the rear garden from the front. The spiral staircase gives access to the rear garden from the ground floor. Brick and flint walls on two sides, approx. 75 foot frontage to the River Thames, deep water mooring and fishing rights, pretty and well maintained gardens with herbaceous borders, shrubberies and lawns.
Garage: Triple garage block with large storage area to the loft
Note. This property has never flooded. It stands on higher ground and benefits from the water regulation of the weir and lock. The water meadows the other side of the river from St Ives are lower and carry excess water when the rivers are high.
Local facilities: Pangbourne is a wonderful period village with a fine selection of award winning independent shops, a small supermarket, health centre, dentists, library, hairdressers, riverside pubs and fine restaurants. Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens is a lovely place for young families with amazing animals, birds, gardens, play parks, a splash pool and miniature train. Basildon Park is a National Trust property featuring a splendid Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
Pangbourne offers superb transport links with a fast train service to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading with upcoming Crossrail offering fast links to the City in the coming years, as well as buses to all local areas. Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only five minutes driving distance.
Excellent schools: St Ives is located within easy reach of a number of fine schools. Pangbourne College has a school bus pick up nearby; Bradfield College and St Andrew's Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory School, Downe House, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School. There are bus pick up points in Pangbourne for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls school in Abingdon, and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey. Pangbourne Primary School offers foundation stage 1.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton turn right and proceed under the railway bridge passing The Swan public house and St Ives is the last but one property on the right hand side with car parking in front of the garages.
Services: Mains water and drainage, electricity and gas, zoned gas central heating.
Post Code: RG8 7DU
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: West Berkshire Council. Tax band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.