- Beautiful period house
- Large and beautifully maintained and designed gardens and grounds
- Prime Location within the heart of this highly sought after village
- In excellent order throughout
- Maintained to a very high standard
- Spacious accommodation
- Peaceful and secluded location
- Full of charm and character
- High ceilings throughout
- Pangbourne office 0118 9842662
Pangbourne shops & train station 5 minutes' drive ● Reading 10 miles ● Newbury 12 miles ● M4 (Junction 12) 5 miles (all distances and timings are approximate)
3,337 sq ft / 310 m²
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.39 acre (all measurements are approximate)
A charming and beautifully presented 4 bedroom detached period house, constructed in approximately late 18th century, with a number of more recent additions and valuably unlisted.
Set in remarkably beautiful gardens, to include well-maintained lawns, gazebo, vegetable garden and wonderful herbaceous borders. Situated on Darby Lane a sleepy little used lane, in the heart of this sought-after period village within walking distance of the primary school, church and village hall.
The Forge has been scrupulously maintained, with décor which is simple and tasteful, enhancing the interior character. This is a period property that has received a careful, professional and thorough restoration and extension, and is a splendid example of a period cottage for which Upper Basildon is renowned.
• Reception hall is unusually spacious with part-beamed ceiling, oak flooring and a splendid oak staircase rising to the galleried landing
• Drawing room is another splendid room of excellent proportions, with pretty views over the rear garden, with an open fireplace fitted with a gas effect log fire, French doors opening onto the gardens
• Kitchen is very special, with a garden room/orangery with doors leading onto the garden, and with plenty of room for a large dining table. Kitchen area is fitted with a high-quality range of cupboard and drawer units, granite worksurfaces, central preparation island with cupboards under a part-granite and part hardwood preparation area, windows are double aspect and there are fine views through the orangery into the gardens. To one side there is a traditional 3 oven, 2 hob aga with splashback to wall, and glazed extractor over. Modern electric Aga, fitted Fisher & Paykel two drawer dishwasher, flagged limestone flooring throughout
• Orangery has polished terracotta flooring, triple aspect and roof lantern giving masses of light
• Unusual for a property of this age, there are high ceilings throughout
• Boiler room holds a ground source heat pump which supplies central heating and hot water
• To the first floor there are 4 bedrooms; 3 doubles and a spacious single
• Principal bedroom is large with walk in large dressing room with natural ceiling light. Ensuite includes a Victorian style bath tub of modern design and a large shower area
• The original blacksmith's shop has now become for today's world, a large garage with store room over
• Garage has tiled floor and pull-down ladder to a large loft storage area with up and over hardwood doors
• Windows are all replacement double glazed
Summary of accommodation: reception hall, drawing room, family room, cloakroom, kitchen with breakfast/dining area, orangery/ garden room, boot room, utility room, boiler room. 4 bedrooms, family bathroom, ensuites to bedrooms 1 and 2. The forge building has been used partly as a study and as a double garage with loft room over.
Gardens: Beautiful mature gardens, to include well-maintained lawns, gazebo, vegetable garden and wonderful herbaceous borders, wild flower garden with fruit trees, green house, flagstone terrace for summer dining. Potting shed and garden store.
Garage has covered walkway from the inner hall, and is accessed from Darby Lane.
Gardens & Grounds extend to 0.39 acre
Local facilities: Upper Basildon is a much sought-after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has a football club and an excellent tennis club. Various clubs and activities use the church centre and or the main church.
For the equestrian enthusiast, The Forge is within walking distance of Blandy's Farm Livery Yard, and there are many bridle paths surrounding the village, there is also a riding school at Cullinghood Equestrian Centre, a short drive away. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes' drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities, and a splendid selection of specialist shops including; a butcher, bakery, cheese shop, organic farm shop, supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. There are farm shops at Tidmarsh and Ashampstead.
Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 45 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City). Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only 5 miles, giving easy access to Heathrow.
Schools: Upper Basildon Primary School is within walking distance. St Andrew's Preparatory School is only a few minutes' drive, as are Pangbourne College and Bradfield College. There is also Brockhurst & Marlston House Preparatory School, Elstree Preparatory School, The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, proceed over the mini roundabout passing the front of The Elephant hotel, turn right at St James the Less church. Proceed up Pangbourne Hill, pass the entrance to Pangbourne College on the left, fork right to Upper Basildon. On reaching the village church on the right, turn right before the village green. Proceed a short distance along, and there is a sign on the right directing you to 'Ashampstead/Aldworth' turn left into Darby Lane and the old forge building is immediately on the right, and the entrance to The Forge is on the right with car parking area.
Post Code: RG8 8AL
Services: Mains water, drainage, electricity. Ground source heat pump for central heating & hot water. High speed Gigaclear connected.
EPC Rating: D
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
0118 984 2662
Websites: singletonanddaughter.co.uk rightmove.co.uk, mayfairoffice.co.uk, onthemarket.com, countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors.
(i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.