- Charming 18th Century detached country house
- 3 bathrooms
- Vaulted ceilings to library bedrooms and bathrooms
- Garaging and office area
- One of the important period houses in this pretty and vibrant village
- 4 bedrooms
- Spectacular kitchen/breakfast room
- Period features including open fireplaces and excellent ceiling heights
- Generous well maintained gardens
- Pangbourne office 0118 9842662
M4 (Junction 12) 10 mins drive ● Reading 11 miles ● Newbury 9 miles ● Aldermaston train station 1.6 miles (connection to London Paddington)
2,668 sq ft / 248 m² (all measurements are approximate)
A charming late 18th century 4 bedroom detached country house, constructed in the Georgian period, and in excellent order throughout.
Corner Cottage is a marvellous family residence, set in very pretty gardens. The property offers spacious family accommodation with lots of light from large sash windows, with high ceilings and size of rooms associated with this important period of English architecture.
Within easy walking distance of two primary schools, the church, village hall, hairdressers, village shop/Post Office, Rosebourne food hall and garden centre with butcher and grocer, and the 17th century Hindshead pub which has a restaurant and boutique hotel rooms. Corner Cottage is listed Grade II and noted as one of the important period houses in this vibrant, pretty and historic village.
• Ultrafast broadband - Gigaclear at the property
• The spectacular and unusually large kitchen/breakfast room
• The kitchen features a modern gas AGA with double ovens and hot plates, and includes the luxury of an integrated AEG module. This is convenient if you wish to turn the AGA off in the summer, offering a conventional double fan oven, grill and ceramic hob. There are many cupboards and drawers including a large walk in pantry cupboard, fitted fridge freezer, fitted dishwasher, wine cooler, central preparation island with cupboards and Bosch microwave under, semi-circular oak topped breakfast bar, flagstone flooring throughout, double doors give access to the garden, and double aspect windows giving lots of light
• Vaulted ceiling to the library, bedrooms and bathrooms
• The dining room has flagstone flooring, the fireplace is fitted with a wood burning stove and the large sash window has original pine shutters
• Drawing room has a wood burning stove, double aspect windows and oak flooring
• The central heating radiators are of modern antique style
• Original fireplaces to master bedroom and guest bedroom
• Ground floor reception rooms are spacious and light with marvellous sash windows typical of the period
• Bathroom and shower rooms and all of good quality modern design and fittings
• The property is set well back from the road with a brick retaining wall and high hedges giving seclusion.
• Throughout the property the ceiling heights are excellent, belying the name cottage
• There is the possibility of the conversion of the garage and its office, to a self-contained annexe subject to LAPP
Summary of accommodation: Reception hall, drawing room, dining room, cloakroom, utility, wine store, library, kitchen/breakfast room, 4 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, one with jack and jill doors creating an ensuite for bedrooms one and four, shower room on ground floor serving bedroom two. Garage with office to the rear.
Gardens: Generous rear garden, well-maintained lawns, ancient yew high hedges and fencing giving seclusion, wooden garden store, large flagstone terrace for summer dining. Wide gravel driveway to the front giving access to the garage and house with parking for guests, well maintained walls, brick retaining walls and hedges.
Local facilities: Within walking distance of the Aldermaston village stores, Cedars Independent Primary School, village C of E primary school, church and a fine old pub; The Hinds Head with restaurant and hotel rooms. The recently opened Rosebourne garden centre offers a food hall with butcher, grocer and restaurant.
Just up the road is the River Kennet with excellent fishing at Aldermaston Mill where day tickets are obtainable. Thatcham is approximately 6 miles which has a fantastic selection of shops including a Waitrose and in Calcot at Junction 12 there is a large Sainsbury's and Ikea.
There is a station at Aldermaston giving a fast train connection to London Paddington.
Schools: Within easy driving distance include Elstree, St Finian's, Bradfield College, Pangbourne College, Downe House, St Andrews preparatory and Alder Bridge Steiner Waldorf in Padworth.
Directions: From junction 12 of the M4, follow the A4 towards Newbury, until you come to a roundabout with a signpost directing you to Aldermaston on the left. Proceed along this road until you enter Aldermaston village, turn immediately right beside the Hindhead Pub into Wasing lane, and the property will be found on the left-hand side.
Post Code: RG7 4LW
Note. Aldermaston in keeping with a great many areas in the UK had flooding in 2007, this was surface water, not river water and was a combination of high rainfall and water levels. A month of rain fell in 24 hours onto already saturated flood plains. The road drainage system could not cope. We understand the culverts have now been cleared and Aldermaston has not had any problem with flooding since this time. This was very much a freak weather condition.
Services: Mains water and drainage, electricity, gas, gigaclear available.
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.