- Beautiful 6 bedroom period house and Tithe barn
- Flexible accommodation with 6 beds / 2 bedroom annexe
- Yattendon 1½ miles
- Fabulous walks and surrounding countryside
- Catchment area for the highly sought after and Ofsted rated excellent; The Downs School
- A very rare, peaceful and beautiful location
- Large gardens with paddock and woodland
- Walk to the renowned Pot Kiln pub/restaurant
- Stunning Tithe Barn that could potentially be used as gym/ garaging/ games room/ studio
Yattendon 1½ miles ● Pangbourne village & station 7 miles ● Theale station 7 miles ● Newbury 8 miles (all distances/timings approximate)
Main House 3,469 sq ft /322 m²
Barn/Stables 2,068 sq ft / 192m²
(all measurements are approximate)
A fabulous 6 bedroom Elizabethan country house, dating back to the mid to late 16th century, with some later additions. Occupying a unique, unspoilt, peaceful and rural location, and also includes a stunning 17th century Tithe barn.
Set in approximately 1.57 acres to include gardens, grounds, pony paddock and woodland. The interior of the property has high ceilings, with windows giving lots of light and a number of the rooms have vaulted ceilings.
Hawkridge Farm is a wonderful family house, with many beautiful period features, for example, the eccentric and stunning corner turret containing a fabulous winding oak staircase to the principal bedroom. All the rooms have wonderful views, either over the beautifully landscaped gardens, or the surrounding natural countryside. Hawkridge Farm is Grade II listed.
Approached by a pretty and peaceful lane, the property is within walking distance of the Pot Kiln; a country Inn and wild food restaurant. There are lots of footpaths and bridle paths in this area, with many a horse and rider stopping off at the Pot Kiln for a quick drink en route.
The Tithe Barn is a wonderful example of 17th century timber framework with excellent examples of peg beams to the ceilings and walls, with two sets of double entrance doors. The barn could be used for housing vintage cars, or additional accommodation subject to LAPP.
The extremely well-maintained gardens stretch around the property and are a delight in all seasons. From a sheltered York stone laid terrace flanked by rockeries and a small pond, the sweeping lawns reach to the post and rail gated pony paddock, and a further gate to the very pretty woodland owned by the property.
There is an attractive courtyard to the front with main access to the property, and there is a useful secondary access to the east wing, which could be used as a self-contained annexe.
Located in a sleepy, peaceful and unspoilt part of the countryside, yet within easy driving distance of the M4, local schools, Newbury, Reading, and lovely local villages such as Yattendon, with its fine hotel/restaurant/pub The Royal Oak, and a splendid and unusually well-stocked general store with Post Office, owned by the Yattendon Estate.
* The quality of this historic building which has retained many of its original features
* The spacious drawing room with fire place presently fitted with a wood burning stove, and to one end, French doors opening onto the terrace and gardens
* Oak frame vaulted ceiling to the garden room, with access to the rear stone laid terrace and gardens
* High ceilings throughout, unusual in a property of this period
* Farmhouse kitchen and breakfast room has an extensive range of panelled cupboards. Oak timbered ceiling, a 2 oven AGA, a Bosch 4 ring electric ceramic hob with extractor over, fitted electric double oven, fitted fridge and freezer, dishwasher. Oak door to walk in pantry
* The rear gardens enjoy south and westerly sun, and the terrace is a very pleasant spot to sit in the evening, or to entertain and BBQ
* The east wing might be used as a self-contained 2 bedroom annexe if so desired, and has its own entrance
Note: The property is only attached at one side of the single storey utility room/ wc/ boiler room to another period property which has access across the entrance drive.
Summary of accommodation: Reception hall, cloakroom, kitchen/breakfast room, dining room, drawing room, inner hall to east wing.
East wing – a possible annexe; Separate entrance, study/bedroom 4 could be a possible kitchen, living room, bedroom 3, bedroom 5, garden room, bathroom, shower room.
First floor: Corner turret with winding oak staircase giving access to principal bedroom with ensuite bathroom and dressing room/ bedroom 6, bedroom 2 (accessed from separate staircase in reception hall), landing, family bathroom.
Gardens: Very attractive front courtyard. The gardens and grounds are very well maintained with sweeping lawns, York stone terracing, rockeries, lavender beds, rose gardens, mature trees and perennial plants. There is also a pony paddock leading from the main rear gardens, and further access which is post and rail, to a very pretty area of woodland. To one side of the entrance is a duck pond surrounded by water iris and planted with lilies. Small orchard to the rear and a pair of small pony loose boxes. Parking for cars is in front, and inside the Tithe barn.
Gardens & Grounds extending to approximately 1.57 acres .
Local Facilities: This area is known for fine restaurants and period pubs, and within easy walking distance is the revered Pot Kiln. In nearby Chapel Row is the Gastro Pub of the Year 2017; The Bladebone, Stanford Dingley with its famous 16th century pub, The Old Boot Inn, and Yattendon village with the famous country house hotel and restaurant; The Royal Oak.
The centre of Bucklebury is a mile away, and in Chapel Row there is a health centre and the very popular Blackbird café.
The property is positioned with extremely convenient road links to the M4 and A4. Heathrow airport is approx. an hour's drive. There are train stations within easy reach at Thatcham and Pangbourne giving good commuter access to Reading and London Paddington. It is a short drive to Newbury with its excellent shopping centre, leisure facilities and the well-known racecourse.
For extra shopping and amenities, Pangbourne village is 15 minutes' drive and has a fabulous selection of award-winning specialist shops, restaurants, riverside pubs, a health centre, dentists, barbers and hairdressers.
Schools: Hawkridge Farm is in the catchment area for the highly sought after and Ofsted rated excellent; The Downs School. Other excellent schools abound within easy driving distance to include; Bradfield College, Pangbourne College, Downe House, St Andrew's Preparatory School, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory School for Boys, The Oratory School, Brockhurst & Marlston House Preparatory School & Elstree Preparatory School. There is also a C of E primary school in Upper Bucklebury.
Directions: The property can be located using the post code, but also from the nearby Pot Kiln (RG18 0XX), travel down Chapel Lane towards Bucklebury and the property will be found, ½ mile along the lane on your right. Park in front of the Tithe Barn on your right.
Post Code: RG7 6EG
Services: Mains water, private drainage, electricity, oil fired and electric central heating, underfloor heating in the living room of the East wing. Gigaclear high speed broadband connection available.
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band F
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.