- A splendid 4 bedroom modern country house
- Spectacular kitchen/breakfast room
- Primary double glazed windows throughout
- Brick paved forecourt with ample parking and detached garage
- 2 large timber constructed outbuildings
- Completely refitted 6 years ago
- 4 double bedrooms, ensuite and family bathrooms
- Heated outdoor swimming pool with ground floor shower room
- Pretty gardens bounded by woodland extending to 1.2 acres
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
Newbury 6 miles ● Pangbourne 7 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 6 miles ● Thatcham train station 4 miles - fast trains to London Paddington (50 minute journey time) (all mileages/distance are approximate)
Main House 2,398 sq ft / 223 m²
Outbuildings 2,689 sq ft / 247 m²
Gardens & Grounds extending to 1.2 acres / 0.49 hectares.
(all measurements are approximate)
A splendid modern 4 bedroom country house of character, together with potential for the construction of a separate dwelling subject to planning permission.
Enjoying a wonderful location surrounded by the famous Bucklebury Common, renowned for its sleepy rural beauty. The pretty gardens create the perfect setting for this attractive house which was originally constructed in the 1930s and completely refitted and part-reconstructed 6 years ago. The property is within easy walking distance of a great pub; The Bladebone which won gastropub of the year in 2017, and The Blackbird café.
Carbins Wood is set far back from the road, with the access road passing through Bucklebury Common. The property is in first class order throughout, and offers unusually spacious family accommodation with a wonderful kitchen/breakfast room with a spectacular oak picture window overlooking the rear gardens.
This kitchen/breakfast room forms part of an unusually large living room area which also includes a dining room, and there are large sliding doors giving access to the rear terrace and views over the rear gardens.
The reception hall is large with a side door giving direct access to the gardens and heated pool area. There is a shower room and cloakroom within the hall, both having easy access to the pool area.
A pair of large timber constructed buildings are currently used as a machinery store, and offices, and the rear of building 1 was used as a games room. Building 2, the machinery store, has a vehicular access, which might allow secondary garaging. These buildings have power, water, cloakrooms, and central heating & hot water supplied buy their own oil-fired boiler.
Both buildings could have numerous usages, storage of vintage cars, offices, ancillary accommodation to the main house and there is the possibility that there might be a building plot for a separate dwelling as this area has a separate vehicular and pedestrian access, subject to local authority planning permission.
Spectacular kitchen/breakfast room
The kitchen/breakfast room has an oak framed picture window and is fitted with a wine cooler, pot drawers, American style Samsung fridge freezer with ice and cold water dispenser, fitted Bosch microwave oven, double Bosch double oven, AEG 5 ring ceramic hob, extractor over, Bosch dishwasher. Worksurfaces are in white quartz and there is a curved breakfast bar
Pretty sitting room with high ceiling, a pair of French doors give access to the gardens, and original 1930s fireplace to one end with tiled mantle, currently not in use
All the bedrooms are doubles, with bedroom 1 having a dressing area and ensuite shower room
All the windows have been replaced with primary double glazing
All bathrooms/cloakrooms have been refitted to a high specification 6 years ago
Utility room is well fitted with fitted Bosch washing machine, Lamona tumble dryer and water softener
Pretty brick laid and paved summer dining area to the rear of the property
Adjacent footpaths to the property which give access through the woods to the Bladebone pub, restaurant and Blackbird Café
Summary of accommodation:
Reception hall, study, sitting room, kitchen/breakfast room with living room & dining room area, utility room, cloakroom, shower room with immediate access to the heated pool area, 4 double bedrooms, dressing room and ensuite shower room to bedroom 1, family bathroom, detached garage, summer house, 2 large timber constructed buildings, currently used as machinery store and offices.
Gardens and grounds: Pretty, mature gardens, bounded by woodland. Gardens to the right of the property have a secure pool area with stone paving surround, BBQ area and summer house. The informal gardens to the rear are planted with all manner of trees and shrubs, well maintained lawns. There is a greenhouse within a productive vegetable garden and an area for chickens. The gardens are bounded by woodland.
Brick laid forecourt with wide remote-controlled timber gates with separate pedestrian side access. Detached garage, 2 large timber constructed outbuildings, number of other outbuildings including pool equipment store with oil fired boiler supplying heating to the pool, kennels.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 1.2 acres / 0.49 hectares approximately.
Local facilities: This area is known for fine restaurants and period pubs and just down The Avenue is the Gastro Pub of the Year 2017; The Bladebone, with its excellent restaurant. There is a lovely tearoom; The Blackbird Café, serving a fine range of cakes and snacks. At Upper Bucklebury there is a general store with Post Office and a village run Post Office and general store at Southend Bradfield, both within a few minutes' drive. Stanford Dingley is a short distance by car with its famous 16th century pubs, The Old Boot Inn and The Bull Inn. There is a health centre 2 minutes away in Chapel Row.
The property is positioned with extremely convenient road links to the M4 and A4. Heathrow airport is an hour's drive. There are train stations within easy reach at Thatcham and Pangbourne giving good commuter access to Reading and London Paddington. It is a short drive to Newbury with its excellent shopping centre, leisure facilities and the well-known Newbury Racecourse. Yattendon village is just a couple of miles away with the famous country house hotel and restaurant; The Royal Oak.
For extra shopping and amenities, Pangbourne village is 15 minutes' drive and has a fabulous selection of award-winning specialist shops, restaurants, riverside pubs, a health centre, dentists, hairdressers.
Bradfield College has a fabulous sports complex open to public membership, with a fine indoor pool, indoor tennis courts, squash, gym and fitness centre and 9-hole golf course.
Schools: Excellent schools abound within easy driving distance to include; Bradfield College, Pangbourne College, Downe House, St Andrew's Preparatory School, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory School for Boys, The Oratory School, Brockhurst & Marlston House Preparatory School & Elstree Preparatory School. There is a C of E primary school at both Upper Bucklebury and Bradfield.
Directions: From Bradfield Southend, head onto the Avenue of Oaks, passing the Bladebone pub on your left, proceed along the road, passing on your left a wide opening on your left into a car parking area, just after this on the left turn into a gravel track marked with posts painted green on the top, proceed to the end of this gravel track, staying on the left and turn right at the end and the main entrance to Carbins Wood will be found on the left hand side.
Post Code: RG7 6QB
Main House: oil fired central heating and hot water, mains electricity, water, septic tank, water softener
Outbuildings; mains electricity, water, central heating
Heated pool; oil fired boiler
EPC Rating: D
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.