- Character country house/ beautifully fitted
- 3 bathroom / shower rooms
- Spectacular uninterrupted rural views
- Attached double garage
- Pangbourne office 0118 9842662
- 5 double bedrooms
- Spectacular kitchen breakfast room
- South west facing rear gardens
- Fantastic flow of accommodation
Spectacular far-reaching rural views
Pangbourne shops & train station 3 miles ● Reading 10 miles ● Newbury 12 miles ● M4 (Junction 12) 5 miles (all distances are approximate)
3330 sq ft / 309.3 m² Gardens extending to 0.36 acres (all measurements are approximate)
A splendid 5 bedroom character country house, in magnificent order throughout. Enjoying uninterrupted rural views over natural countryside to woodland in the distance. The property is well set back from a peaceful lane, overlooking woodland to the front.
Merrion has been completely re-fitted in recent years by the present owners to a very high standard, with large windows giving lots of light to the interior and taking full advantage of the superb views.
The property has a fantastic flow of accommodation, with a spectacular and beautifully fitted bespoke kitchen with breakfast and dining areas, and a walk-through access into the sitting room which has floor-to ceiling windows and sliding doors directly overlooking the south-westerly facing rear gardens and beyond.
There is a large reception hall, with a glazed panel and oak balustrade rising up to the first floor which has a large landing area. The first floor accommodation has been carefully redesigned so that all the main bedrooms look to the south west over natural pastureland and the woodland beyond. All the bedrooms are double in size, with the special master bedroom suite including a dressing area, a spacious wet room and large floor to ceiling double aspect windows taking full advantage of the fabulous views.
The rear garden has been carefully landscaped with wide lawns and hedges creating privacy on both boundaries. There are gardens to the front and a wide gravel drive giving access and car parking.
● The spectacular bespoke kitchen is fully fitted with an extensive range of cupboard and drawer units, fitted large Hotpoint stainless steel refrigerated drawers for vegetable and salad, granite and marble working surfaces with inset 1½ bowl sink, a Siemens 5 ring propane hob with extractor over, a pair of Siemens ovens, one of which can operate as a microwave unit with a warming drawer under, 2 sets of fold back French doors open out onto the terrace and there is a half-moon fitted breakfast bar in beech, part of the central island. There is a large laundry room with coat and boot storage area, plumbing for washing machine, an oil fired boiler supplying heating and hot water, a water softener and space for a large refrigerator, door to double garage which has electric remote controlled rollaway doors and high level storage area
● The sitting room is fitted with an attractive wood burning stove and has fold back French doors giving access to the rear gardens and terrace
● The unusually large reception hall with its imposing oak front door
● The naturally polished oak flooring throughout this area with the flooring continuing into the sitting room, kitchen and dining area
● The naturally polished oak panelled doors throughout
● The first quality beautifully fitted shower rooms and bathroom. The main family bathroom with electrically operated ceiling light windows, and also a wet shower area
● A study has access from both the reception hall and the family room and there is fibre broadband, 300mb speed installed
● There is a home entertainment system with ceiling speakers to most of the rooms and a control centre situated in a cupboard within the study
● There are both solar panels and solar hot water panels on the roof, the income generated from the solar panels is approximately £1,800 per year
● There is a security system installed in the property
Summary of accommodation: Large reception hall, cloakroom, study, sitting room, family room, very large kitchen/dining room, laundry room, attached double garage, 5 double bedrooms, 2 ensuite shower/bathrooms, family bathroom. Master bedroom suite includes a spacious dressing area and an ensuite wet room.
Gardens: The pretty, informal rear garden faces south west, with well-maintained lawns, herbaceous borders, shrubberies, young trees and hedges giving privacy. There is a lean-to greenhouse. There are gardens to the front, and a wide gravel drive giving access and car parking.
Gardens extending to 0.36 acres / xxx hectares.
Local facilities: Upper Basildon is a much sought after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village Market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has a football club and an excellent tennis club. The Red Lion is a popular pub serving local ales and food. Various clubs and activities use the church centre and or the main church.
For the equestrian enthusiast there are many bridle paths surrounding the village. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes' drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including a butchers, cheese shop, organic farm shop, supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 45 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City). Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only 6 miles drive giving easy access to airports.
Schools: There are plenty of schools in the area; Upper Basildon Primary School and St Andrew's Preparatory School is only a few minutes' drive, as are Pangbourne College and Bradfield College. There is also The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left, proceed over the mini roundabout turning first right into Pangbourne Hill. Proceed to the top of the hill, just after the entrance to Pangbourne College on the left, turn right signposted Upper Basildon. Continue through the heart of the village passing the church, the green and past The Red Lion pub on the right. At the next crossroads bear left and Merrion is a short distance along on the left hand side.
Post Code: RG8 8NS Tenure: Freehold
Services: Mains water, electricity, propane gas hob, oil fired central heating solar heated hot water panels, solar heating panels, broadband, water softener, security alarm.
EPC Rating: B
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.