- Handsome spacious character country house
- 5 bedrooms to main house 2 bedroom self contained cottage
- Large kitchen/ breakfast room refitted in 2019
- Indoor swimming pool gym putting green and outdoor tennis court
- Complete privacy in a magnificent location surrounded by Bucklebury Common.
- Flexible accommodation with the cottage used in the main house or separately
- 6 bathroom/shower rooms.
- Drawing room with open fire and large dining room
- Gardens and grounds extending to 3 acres
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
Newbury 6 miles ● Pangbourne 7 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 6 miles ● Thatcham train station 4 miles - fast trains to London Paddington (50 minute journey time) (all mileages/distance are approximate)
10,299 sq ft / 957 m²
Gardens & Grounds extending to 3 acres / 1.2 hectares
(all measurements are approximate)
A handsome and unusually spacious 5 bedroom character country house of Victorian origins, with some more recent substantial additions, to include an attached self-contained 2 bedroom cottage with separate entrance.
Spring Cottage is set in a magnificent location, surrounded by the very beautiful and unspoilt Bucklebury Common. This is a wonderful family house with tremendous sports and fitness areas to include; an indoor swimming pool, gym, games room with indoor putting green, sauna and outdoor tennis court.
The property is in excellent decorative order throughout, with flexible, spacious rooms, set amongst well maintained grounds. The rooms are very light with high ceilings.
• The spacious, light and flexible accommodation; the cottage could easily be separately used, or as present, incorporated into the main house accommodation
• The large kitchen/breakfast room was refitted in 2019, it has a 4 oven AGA with hotplate, polished quartz working surfaces, Bosch 4 ring induction hob, extractor, fitted fridge, water softener, wine cooler, larder cupboard, breakfast bar that can seat at least 4 people and door to large utility room
• The large reception hall, has an old polished stripped pine floor, with a staircase winding to the first floor with galleried landing
• Drawing room with open fireplace fitted with wood burning stove, overlooking the front gardens and entrance drive
• Large ground floor office with separate entrance from the exterior, additional first floor study
• Spectacular large dining room
• Large master bedroom with excellent range of built in wardrobes, double aspect views with sitting room area, large ensuite shower room and adjacent dressing room
• Main guest bedroom with oak stripped flooring and extensive range of oak fronted wardrobes and ensuite wet room
• Outdoor play area with tree house
• The property has complete privacy
• Entrance drive flanked by fabulous mature rhododendrons
• There is a productive vegetable garden with greenhouse and orchard
• Cottage has beamed ceiling to main reception room and dining area, large entrance hall, door from exterior, and interconnecting door to the main house
• There is a footpath near Spring Cottage which gives pleasant walks through the Common to gain access to The Bladebone pub and coffee shop
• Charging station to the rear of the property for an electric vehicle
• Replacement windows throughout
Summary of accommodation:
Ground floor; reception hall, drawing room, sitting room, office, kitchen/breakfast room, laundry room, dining room, garden room, gym, games room, snooker room, inner hall with door to sauna, pool changing rooms and cloakroom, attached pool plant room with access from the exterior, indoor pool, guest bedroom with ensuite shower room, wine cellar, 2 cloakrooms.
First floor; 4 bedrooms, 2 with ensuite, family bathroom with free standing bath
Entrance hall, sitting room, dining area, kitchen, 2 bedrooms, ensuite bathroom.
Gardens and grounds: Extensive gardens mainly laid to lawn, orchard, kitchen garden, greenhouse, well maintained hard tennis court, outdoor play area with tree house, large outbuilding presently used as garaging, storage, garden machinery store.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 3 acres / 1.2 hectares (approx.).
Local facilities: This area is known for fine restaurants and period pubs and just down The Avenue is the Gastro Pub of the Year 2017; The Bladebone, with its excellent restaurant. There is a lovely tearoom; The Blackbird Café, serving a fine range of cakes and snacks. At Upper Bucklebury there is a general store with Post Office and a village run Post Office and general store at Southend Bradfield, both within a few minutes' drive. Stanford Dingley is a short distance by car with its famous 16th century pubs, The Old Boot Inn and The Bull Inn. There is a health centre 2 minutes away in Chapel Row.
The property is positioned with extremely convenient road links to the M4 and A4. Heathrow airport is an hour's drive. There are train stations within easy reach at Thatcham and Pangbourne giving good commuter access to Reading and London Paddington. It is a short drive to Newbury with its excellent shopping centre, leisure facilities and the well-known Newbury Racecourse. Yattendon village is just a couple of miles away with the famous country house hotel and restaurant; The Royal Oak.
For extra shopping and amenities, Pangbourne village is 15 minutes' drive and has a fabulous selection of award-winning specialist shops, restaurants, riverside pubs, a health centre, dentists, hairdressers.
Bradfield College has a fabulous sports complex open to public membership, with a fine indoor pool, indoor tennis courts, squash, gym and fitness centre and 9-hole golf course.
Schools: Excellent schools abound within easy driving distance to include; Bradfield College, Pangbourne College, Downe House, St Andrew's Preparatory School, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory School for Boys, The Oratory School, Brockhurst & Marlston House Preparatory School & Elstree Preparatory School. There is a C of E primary school at both Upper Bucklebury and Bradfield.
Directions: From Bradfield Southend, head onto the Avenue of Oaks, passing the Bladebone pub on your left, pass a number of houses fronting the road on the left, just after a de-restriction sign, take the second gravel turning on the left hand side, and Spring Cottage will be right in front of you.
Post Code: RG7 6QB
Services: Mains electricity, water, private drainage, oil fired central heating to main house and swimming pool, propane central heating to cottage. Water softener.
EPC Rating: E
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Main House - Tax Band H, Cottage – Tax Band C
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.