- Imposing country house set in a highly sought after lane in Upper Basildon
- Enormous potential
- Level well drained pastureland and grounds extending to circa 5 acres
- Linked outbuildings including store rooms, vaulted ceiling double car port and workshop
- Lots of potential to convert the attached outbuildings
- Set in the most glorious peaceful and very private setting
- Equestrian facilities 4 loose boxes & tack room
- Unusually spacious rooms throughout
- 3 car detached garage further car ports
- Pangbourne office 0118 9842662
Pangbourne shops & train station 5 minutes' drive ● Reading 10 miles ● Newbury 12 miles ● M4 (Junction 12) 5 miles (all distances and times are approximate)
Main House: 3,622 sq ft / 337 m²
Total Outbuildings: 2,248 sq ft / 209 m²
Grounds extending to 4.9 acres / 1.97 hectares (all measurements are approximate)
A splendid 5 bedroom detached country house, valuably unlisted, occupying a unique and rare position in the heart of Upper Basildon.
This is a fabulous family house to be enjoyed by all ages, set in pretty gardens overlooking its own pastureland extending to just under 5 acres. Enjoying unusually spacious family accommodation, including the equestrian facilities with level pastureland which is so hard to find with this amount of acreage.
There is an attractive and extensive range of outbuildings a number of which are attached to the property and could offer further accommodation/annexe if required, subject to LAPP.
* From the kitchen and dining area there are French doors leading onto the walled garden. This is entirely secluded and is a delightful and sunny spot with lawns, rose beds, pretty ornamental pond with fountain, and a gated archway through the walls to the lane. There are doors giving access to this garden area from the sitting room and drawing room
* The octagonal garden room is very pretty and overlooks a lawned garden area with lots of flowering bushes, trees and high hedges
* Centrally positioned within the house is a fabulous kitchen with windows directly overlooking the rear garden. The modern three oven electric AGA is an AIMSEC3 cooker with state-of-the-art timing, and doesn't have to be left on all day and will switch itself on and off according to requirements. This is a very beautiful bespoke craftsman made oak panelled kitchen with drawer units, high level china cupboard, wide granite working surfaces, inset 1½ bowl Villeroy & Boch ceramic sink, fitted fridge, dishwasher, double electric ovens for summer use, Neff 4 ring electric ceramic hob with extractor over
* The dining room is a wonderful area for family or entertaining, with large antique pine doors giving access to the drawing rom with its open log fire and a Jetmaster wood burning stove in the dining area
* The kitchen flooring has been created with polished flagstones, the dining room has ceramic tiles, the garden room terracotta tiling and the sitting room polished maple flooring
* The entrance from the lane is wide, the drive is flanked by well maintained lawns, planted with all manner of spring bulbs and gives access to an attractive gravelled driveway with central island and turnaround
* At the front of the property there is a large car parking area for guests, a pair of car ports for family use and through an archway there is a further 3 bay secure garage block with concrete forecourt, well maintained lawns, a Wendy house and a thatched summer dining building
* All the gardens and areas surrounding the property have lots of seclusion and privacy, and there are large secure grazing areas for both chickens and ducks to free range
* There is access to the property by way of a 5 bar gate and a further access into the paddocks through a pair of gates, and a further vehicular access for equestrian vehicles and deliveries
* The stable blocks comprise of 4 loose boxes, a secure tack room one of the loose boxes presently used as a feed store, but could become a good foaling box if required. There is a concrete freely draining yard in front of the loose boxes with water and electricity laid on. The stables are shielded from the main house and garden are by a single storey open fronted barn
* The first floor accommodation is unusually spacious and light with high ceilings and large windows with a fabulous master suite with dressing room area and large ensuite bathroom with shower
* All the windows throughout the property are primary double glazed, and are large giving lots of light throughout
* The utility room has polished granite worksurfaces, a double bowl ceramic sink, plumbing for washing machine, doors to airing cupboard, the boiler supplying central heating and hot water, and flagstone flooring
* All ceilings are high
Summary of accommodation:
Entrance hall, dining room, kitchen, drawing room, garden room, 2 studies, cloakroom/shower room, sitting room, utility room, 5 double bedrooms, 2 bathrooms.
Linked outbuilding which includes workshop, office with 2 store rooms, pair of car ports, lean to greenhouse, thatched summer dining building, 3 car detached garage building. 3 bay single storey barn with log store, hay store, garden store. 4 loose boxes supplied by Ascot buildings
Gardens and grounds:
Throughout the property there are well maintained lawns, mature trees, high hedging, rose gardens, and lots of flowering bushes. There are separate secure fenced areas for free ranging ducks and chickens. The paddocks have been maintained to a high standard and have post and rail fencing. Wendy house
Electrically operated entrance gate with remote control,
Gardens & Grounds extending to approximately 4.7 acres / 1.9 hectares.
Local facilities: Upper Basildon is a much sought-after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has a football club and an excellent tennis club. The Red Lion is a popular pub serving local ales and food. Various clubs and activities use the church centre and/or the main church.
For the equestrian enthusiast Collins Farm is within walking distance of Blandys Farm Livery Yard, and there are many bridle paths surrounding the village, there is also a riding school at Cullinghood Equestrian Centre, a short drive away. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golfclubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes' drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities, and a splendid selection of specialist shops including; a butcher, bakery, cheese shop, organic farm shop, supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. There are farm shops at Tidmarsh and Ashampstead.
Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 45 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City). Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only 5 miles, giving easy access to Heathrow.
Schools: There are plenty of schools in the area; Upper Basildon Primary School and St Andrew's Preparatory School is only a few minutes' drive, as are Pangbourne College and Bradfield College. There is also Brockhurst & Marlston House Preparatory School, Elstree Preparatory School, The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, proceed over the mini roundabout passing the front of The Elephant hotel, turn right at St James the Less church. Proceed up Pangbourne Hill, pass the entrance to Pangbourne College on the left, fork right to Upper Basildon. On reaching the village church on the right, turn right before the village green. At the fork in the road with a triangle of grass, pass Darby Lane, proceed along Blandy's Lane for 100m, pass Hamlin on the left and turn right into Collins Farm – noticing the telegraph pole just before the entrance, with gravel drive and 5 bar gate.
Post Code: RG8 8LS
Services: Mains water, drainage, electricity, oil fired central heating.
EPC Rating: 52 E
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.