- Classically beautiful Queen Anne house dating back to 1680
- Detached cottage in the grounds with 2 bedrooms & 2 wet rooms
- Spectacular sitting room with vaulted ceiling
- Wonderful period features including polished Oak flooring and antique pine panelling
- Detached garage and carport, additional ample car parking
- Restored and extended to a very high standard
- 6 bedrooms in the main house with 3 bathrooms
- Exceptional kitchen/breakfast room
- Part-walled beautifully established south facing gardens enjoying complete privacy
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
Didcot Parkway mainline train station to London and Oxford (4 mins drive) 1.5 miles ● A34 3.5 miles ● Oxford 15 miles ● Reading 17 miles (all measurements approx.)
4,038 sq ft / 375m² (all measurements are approximate)
A classically beautiful detached 6 bedroom Queen Anne house, origins date back to 1680, together with a 2 bedroom detached cottage in the grounds.
Grange Farmhouse has easy access to the mainline station to London; Didcot Parkway is a 4 minutes' drive, and the property is within easy walking distance to the village shop, primary school, pub and church.
Set in splendid, large and private gardens, the main entrance is secured by high solid hardwood gates, with a long entrance drive flanked by an avenue of pink flowering horse chestnut trees, which curves round to the rear of the house and passes an ancient olive grove, brought in from France.
Grange Farmhouse is a magnificent Grade II listed building, restored and extended some 13 years ago to a very high standard.
The imposing original main entrance door opens into a large and splendid reception hall with polished oak wood block parquet flooring, a period oak staircase rising to the first and second floors and ancient oak panelling to the walls.
The two main reception rooms have fine examples of polished oak stripped flooring. The drawing room has a large open log fire with pine mantle carved in the classic style, flanked on both sides by curved book or ornament display cabinets with walls clad in fully restored antique pine panelling.
The dining room also has fine examples of antique pine panelling and a period glass fronted china display corner cupboard and on the other side of the room a magnificent antique scallop shell curved book shelf cabinet.
The spectacular sitting room has a wonderful vaulted ceiling with exposed 18th century oak beams, large windows on two sides overlooking the pretty gardens giving lots of natural light, and two pairs of double French doors which give access to the stone flagged sun terraces. There is an open log fire fitted with ancient fireback, with a carved mantel and surround and polished elm flooring and a fitted 18th century oak cupboard. The windows and French doors are hard wood and have been completely repainted in the Autumn of 2019.
The part-walled garden enjoys complete privacy with high hedges and wide well-maintained lawns. An octagonal, period gazebo is built into the 18th century limestone wall and is constructed in the classical style with a conical tiled roof and twin columns supporting. Towards the rear of the garden is a very pretty octagonal shingle roofed Crane summer house, fully fitted with power and lights to the interior and exterior. The summer house overlooks an old octagonal stone French drinking fountain.
To one side of the entrance drive is a pretty self-contained detached Cottage substantially constructed and beautifully fitted, with two double bedrooms, two wet rooms and a sitting room.
The detached cottage
* This is an exceptional feature. Constructed in a traditional manner to high standards in 2012 by the present owner, with Waney edge timber cladding to the exterior, under a roof constructed of antique reclaimed Victorian tiles. Primary double-glazed windows, highly insulated with its own central heating system
* Two double bedrooms each with a modern wet room with ceramic tiled underfloor heating, heated towel rails and antique style fittings. The spacious sitting room and ground floor bedroom have beamed ceilings. An oak balustrade staircase rises to the first floor, with reclaimed antique pine doors and fittings throughout. The cottage has parking beside it for a single car
* The cottage has provision in the sitting room for connection to mains drains if kitchen units were required
Main house and gardens
* The kitchen/breakfast room has a modern 2 oven gas fired Aga, with secondary cooking facilities by way of a fitted Miele electric oven with Miele 4 ring gas hob and Miele extractor over. There is a fitted Miele dishwasher, Maytag American style fridge freezer with ice machine and cold-water dispenser (RO filtered water system), bookshelves, an extensive range of bespoke cupboards and drawers, a large pantry unit with lighting and power for microwave. Balmoral granite worksurfaces, with an undermounted stainless steel sink with mixer taps, a filter water tap (RO system), waste disposal unit and limestone flagged flooring, LED lighting
* The whole of the main house was restored some 13 years ago to a very high standard, with re-plumbing, re-wiring, windows and roof overhauled, and the roof has since further been overhauled and maintained to a high standard and has recently been re decorated
* Welsh hand-woven bespoke stair carpet runner from the ground floor round to the first-floor landing and continues up to the second-floor landing. The stair runner is held by brass stair-rods
* There is a wine cellar with brick flooring and stone steps winding down from the hall
* Wide driveway access is secured by remote-controlled high solid hardwood gates with intercom, the main driveway constructed with tarmacadam and shingle
* The access from the rear forecourt and guest car parking is secured by wrought iron fencing with a flag stone pathway leading past the side of the house to the front entrance, illuminated at night by 3 antique Victorian copper street lamps, now converted to electricity
* In front of the property, is an ancient York stone forecourt and terrace, with some fine examples of Yew topiary
* The bedroom accommodation, in keeping with the period of the house, all have high ceilings, and the three modern bathrooms have been recently refitted. The master bedroom has a walk-in wardrobe and ensuite shower room entered by way of arched figured oak doors with brass fittings
* The majority of the doors are original and are polished pine, with very fine example of brass finger plates, locks and handles. There are antique style power points, lighting points and light switches with oak back plates throughout
* The majority of the radiators in the property have been imported from an antique restoration company and have been restored to modern day standards some with antique style thermostatic radiator valves. These traditional radiators are hugely efficient and very attractive, suitable for this period of house
Summary of accommodation:
Main House – Grange Farm House
Ground floor: Reception hall, drawing room, sitting room, dining room, kitchen/breakfast room, cloakroom, utility room, cellar.
First floor: 4 double bedrooms, family bathroom, master bedroom to include ensuite shower room and walk-in wardrobe
Second floor: 2 bedrooms, bathroom
Detached Cottage – Grange Cottage
2 double bedrooms, two wet rooms, sitting room.
Gardens: Mature herbaceous borders, pretty flower beds, yew topiary, mature specimen trees, pink chestnut trees, French drinking fountain with lights, box hedging, well-maintained lawns, Crane summerhouse, garden machinery store, York stone terraces, wrought iron fencing, ancient olive trees, fig tree, two loggias with established grapevine.
Local facilities: East Hagbourne is wonderful period village, situated on the edge of the Berkshire downs in a well-regarded part of South Oxfordshire. The village has a thriving pub, a highly regarded primary school, village garage, community shop & Post Office, an ancient church and a village hall. The village hall with its many activities throughout the year, including amateur dramatics, and the recreation ground with child's play area and football club. There is a bus service connecting East Hagbourne to Didcot.
The countryside surrounding East Hagbourne is noted to be of outstanding rural beauty and footpaths are within easy access enabling very pretty walks through open countryside. This is also excellent riding country with the nearby Downs giving access to gallops, bridle paths and the Blewbury Riding Centre for the equestrian enthusiast.
Didcot is home to many popular high street retailers and its supermarkets include M&S Food, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Aldi, there are numerous restaurants, banks, health services, leisure centres, an arts centre and a multiplex cinema.
Didcot Parkway has a mainline station offering superb commuter links to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading (with Crossrail coming soon), as well as the West Country and South Wales. The A34 is only a 10 minutes' drive, offering easy links to both the M4 and the M40.
Wallingford, on the River Thames, is a few minutes' drive away and offers fantastic walks, riverside pubs, restaurants, Waitrose, many independent and popular shops, a fine antique centre and regular markets.
Schools: The Hagbourne Primary School is a few minutes' walk, and Didcot Girls School which is Ofsted rated as outstanding has a bus pick up in the village. Within easy driving distance are the highly regarded Independent schools; The Oratory, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory, St Helens & St Katharine's in Abingdon, Pangbourne College and Bradfield College.
Directions: Pass Passey's Garage and the local village shop/post office on your right hand side, a short distance along you will find the gravel driveway of Grange Farmhouse, just after the turning into Higgs Close, turn into the driveway, the 5 bar gate entrance to Grange Barn will be on your left, and the entrance to Grange Farmhouse will be straight in front of you.
Post Code: OX11 9LB
Note. The access from New Road is owned by Grange Farmhouse.
Main house: Mains water, drainage, electricity and gas, gas central heating and hot water. Security alarm. Water softener. High pressure megaflo water system, hard wired smoke detection and alarm.
Cottage: Mains water, drainage, electricity. Electric boiler providing central heating. Underfloor heating to wet rooms. Security alarm. Cottage has provision in the sitting room for connection to mains drains if kitchen units were required.
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: South Oxfordshire, Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
5. It is disclosed that Grange Farmhouse is owned by Dudley Singleton, director of Singleton and Daughter.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.