- 7 minutes drive to Theale train station connecting to London Paddington
- Wonderful location with beautiful views
- Walled gardens extending to 0.8 acres approx
- 4 double bedrooms with potential for a further 5th bedroom if required
- Accessed from a pretty and quiet lane
- 1st class order throughout
- Fabulous reception rooms with vaulted ceilings
- Extensive vegetable/ kitchen garden with raised beds
- All bedrooms has an en suite bathroom / shower room
- Singleton & Daughter, Pangbourne - 0118 9842662
Newbury 12 miles ● Reading 7 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 3 miles ● Pangbourne 5 miles ● Theale train station 2.5 miles / approx. 7 minutes drive (fast connections to London Paddington)
(all distances approximate)
3,760 sq ft / 349 m²
Gardens & grounds - 0.8 acre / 0.3 hectare (all measurements are approximate)
Price Guide £1.295m
A splendid 4 bedroom character country house of enormous quality and charm.
Valuably unlisted, the property is accessed from a pretty and quiet lane, and is surrounded by countryside of outstanding natural beauty.
Barnyards has been kept in first class order by the present owners and has been enhanced and maintained to a very high standard throughout. The property is light and bright and is understood to have been originally constructed in 1850 with some later additions.
The baronial dining hall is a wonderful feature with its high vaulted ceiling with doors giving access directly into the sitting room which also has a vaulted ceiling and features an imposing brick constructed fireplace with Bessemer beam across and fitted with a Jotul wood burning stove.
The south facing walled gardens are truly splendid. Planted with all manner of trees and shrubs, with formal gardens reaching out to the ancient red brick walls, a large separate kitchen garden with raised beds and a further large lawned area for family fun.
French doors give access from the sitting room, kitchen/breakfast room and the family room to the rear garden and summer dining area which has a wisteria covered pergola.
Barnyards has a private drive access from the lane and stands adjacent to the Grade II listed house, The Old Manor.
● The fine condition of both the interior and exterior
● The kitchen/breakfast room has been totally refitted, with an extensive range of low-level cupboards and drawers with pretty white quartz working surfaces and to one side a dresser unit with china display cabinets flanked by a fitted AEG fridge and on the other side a fitted AEG freezer. In the utility room there is a further fridge freezer and an LG washing machine. There is a high quality Rangemaster professional deluxe cooking range with double oven, grill, 5 ring induction hob over and a Rangemaster cooker hood, fitted Panasonic dual microwave/oven unit, Siemens dishwasher and inset undermounted ceramic 1½ bowl sink with mixer taps. A door gives access to a fabulous fully shelved pantry store
● There are lots of windows in the kitchen/breakfast area overlooking the gardens with southerly views and a glazed panel door giving access to the gardens and terrace for summer dining under a pergola covered with wisteria
● To one end of the garage there is a garden store with separate entrance, double glazed windows overlooking the garden, this room has heating, electricity and a water supply and could easily become a splendid self-contained office if so desired
● High-level of insulation throughout including primary double-glazed windows
● Easy access to footpaths giving easy access to fantastic walks through very beautiful unspoilt natural countryside
● The refitted modern bathrooms
● Large kitchen/breakfast room recently refitted throughout
● New oil-fired boiler with pressurised hot water system
● New kitchen fittings
● Re-carpeted throughout, with the exception of 1 bedroom
● Refurbished utility area
● New shutters and blinds on various windows
● Fitted wardrobes in bedroom 1
● All external windows and doors recently painted, excluding the superb naturally polished oak front entrance door
● All worn roof tiles replaced
● Timber constructed raised beds to the kitchen garden
1. The Barnyards gardens once belonging to the Grade II listed Manor House are curtilage listed, the old walls within the gardens are also listed.
2. Barnyards was restored and converted from the original 1850s agricultural building in 1993 to full modern building regulations and high standards of insulation.
Summary of accommodation: Large baronial dining/reception hall with vaulted ceiling, large sitting room, kitchen/breakfast room, utility room, cloakroom, family room, 4 bedrooms, 4 bath/shower rooms, to include a large suite with dressing area and ensuite to bedroom 1 and a first floor guest bedroom with shower room and sitting area, study to first floor, snug to ground floor
Gardens and grounds: Planted with a large variety of trees and shrubs, to include formal gardens, a large separate kitchen garden with raised beds and a further large lawned area, all within ancient brick walls. Large aluminium framed greenhouse.
Double attached garage with remote controlled up and over door, with boiler room with pressure tanks for the water system, tank and pump to bore hole, garden store with separate entrance which could easily become a self-contained office.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.8 acre / 0.3 hectare (approx.).
Local facilities: Sulhamstead, is a beautiful village enjoying a rural setting. The village has a great community with clubs and societies, Scouts and a cricket club. There is also a parish church, pub, and beautiful surrounding countryside providing excellent walks and rides.
Schools: The area provides a first-class range of local and private schooling, including Downe House, Elstree, Pangbourne College, St Andrews School and Bradfield College.
In the neighbouring village of Ufton Nervet there is Sulhamstead & Ufton Nervet Primary School.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left, straight over the mini roundabout past the Elephant Hotel, proceed out of the village, through Tidmarsh to the roundabout on the A4, turning right onto the A4 towards Newbury. Turn left at the Spring Inn signposted Ufton Nervet into Sulhamstead Road and continue into Folly Lane. Proceed over a crossroads and a short distance down turn left into the private drive of the Old Manor and the property will be found on the left-hand side.
Post Code: RG7 4EA
Services: Mains electricity and water, oil-fired central heating, private drainage, bore hole water supply used for the garden, water softener, Ultra-fast broadband.
EPC Rating: D
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire Council, Band F
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.