Guide Price £2,800,000 - Available
Walking distance to the Oratory school ● Pangbourne village and station 2 miles ● Goring on Thames 3.5 miles ● Reading 8 miles ● M4 (junction 12) 7 miles (all distances are approximate)
7,935 sq ft / 737 m² (all measurements are approximate)
Gardens & Grounds 7 acres / 2.9 hectares (all measurements are approximate)
A handsome 6 bedroom period house mainly constructed in 1938, with some later additions, having undergone of recent times, a tasteful and thorough refurbishment and modernisation to the highest possible standards.
Goffs House stands on a commanding position on the top of the hill, with some fine far reaching views across the grounds belonging to the property into the far distance. The property is entered from the road by way of a long winding drive through impressive wrought iron electrically operated gates, with the drive flanked by majestic beech and oak woods with lots of specimen trees and banks of rhododendrons and ancient yew hedges which also makes sure the property has complete seclusion and privacy.
Many of the original features have been retained with large open fireplaces, ceilings over 9 foot in height, and splendid 8 ft high double panelled doors, traditional for the period giving entrance to all the major reception rooms and to the kitchen from the reception hall. The original fireplace will still be found within the reception hall and there has been a recent introduction of golden oak flooring throughout this area. The reception hall is very large with a sweeping staircase rising to a gallery on the first floor. There is the original oak panelled front door, giving access to the reception hall with a wide covered porch in the traditional manner.
This is not only an imposing and special country house, but it is also an elegant family residence with lots of space for entertaining and for children of all ages.
The old laid down gardens are a special feature; the deep sunken garden is surrounded by lavender borders and high yew hedges with archways giving access to a very pretty summer house which offers entertaining in all seasons. The summer house is constructed in oak with a cedar shingled roof, has a chimney and open log fire and overlooks the main garden. The grounds of the property lie adjacent to open farmland and include to the rear of the garden a substantial unspoilt ancient wood abounding with wildlife and a pretty dell.
To the left hand side of the property with separate access from the drive, a substantial annexe recently constructed with traditional design, in keeping with the house and superbly fitted. Divided on the ground floor into two pairs of large double garages, and on the far side a further double garage presently used as a gym with oak flooring, bi-fold doors with blinds, central heating and a door giving access to an equipped kitchen area, which also holds the Worcester propane gas central heating boiler. A separate room, also centrally heated, holds a large utility laundry room and also acts as a cloakroom for the garden.
Central to the front of the annexe building is the entrance to the apartment with bi-fold doors leading into a ground floor kitchen/breakfast room with breakfast bar fitted with modern electric oven, ceramic hob and large stainless steel sink unit. The staircase rises gracefully to the first floor landing; hardwood doors give access to a large wet room, a double bedroom and a large sitting room with full central heating.
● The tremendous private and secluded rural location just a short distance out of Pangbourne or Goring-on-Thames
● The extensive and very beautiful grounds with fine examples of specimen trees, fruit trees, well planted herbaceous borders, rhododendrons, shrubberies, high yew hedging, well-maintained topiary and extensive lawns to front and rear gardens. There are Scots pine, pleached hornbeam and all that one can expect of an ancient garden with its avenues of yew and pretty driveway access
● The elegant, beautifully decorated and fitted interior accommodation, with 9ft plus high ceilings and large windows giving tremendous light throughout
● The large dining room with to one end, the sitting room with double doors opening directly into the drawing room which has an open fireplace
● The very large reception hall which has retained its original open fireplace
● The wonderful kitchen/living room area extensively fitted with large bespoke cupboards and drawer units, a large dresser unit with wine racks and china cupboards, centrally positioned breakfast bar which is step down into a granite preparation area, granite working surfaces with moulded and bevelled edges, a home entertainment system to the living area with projector and drop down screen. Extensive flagstone flooring, large range area with fitted state of the art intelligent electric AGA with 2 rings, 3 ovens and bolt on propane addition, giving 4 propane gas rings and 2 further electric ovens which act as auxiliary cooking units to the main AGA and for summer use. Fitted combi-Miele microwave oven, Miele steam unit and Miele fitted coffee machine, fitted refrigerator. There is a door to the laundry room which has a fitted HAIER fridge freezer, a cupboard contains the propane gas boiler for central heating within the main house
● The large master suite with balcony and windows giving fine views of the surrounding wooded countryside and over the tree tops to hillsides in the distance
● All of the bedrooms are double size, with 3 suites and bi-fold doors giving superb views over the rear gardens and access to balconies from the master suite and 2 other bedrooms overlooking the rear gardens
● There is a splendid flagstone sun terrace beside the house with archway access to the garden
Summary of accommodation: Large reception hall, cloakroom/shower, dining room, sitting room, drawing room, study, large and spectacular kitchen living room with home entertainment system, laundry room, first floor original landing and balustrade, 5 bedrooms, 3 with balconies, large family bathroom including the large master suite with dressing room and bathroom with shower. Large garage block with 3 double garages, one presently used as a gym with kitchen to the rear, utility room and cloakroom, self-contained apartment with ground floor entrance, with fully fitted modern kitchen/breakfast room and first floor with large bedroom, modern wet room, landing and large sitting room
Gardens and grounds: Extensive and very beautiful grounds with fine examples of specimen trees, fruit trees, well planted herbaceous borders, rhododendrons, shrubberies high yew hedging, well-maintained topiary, extensive lawns to front and rear gardens. There is an oak constructed summer house with open log fire, also a flagstone sun terrace beside the house with archway access to the garden. The grounds of the property lie adjacent to open farmland to the far boundary of the property, this substantial unspoilt ancient wood abounding with wildlife and a pretty dell to the far boundary.
Outbuildings include large modern garden sore, original 1930`s dog kennels and log store, one side of the gardens is a pretty summer house with open log fire and power.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 7 acres / 2.9 hectares (approximately).
Local facilities: Goffs House is within a short drive of Pangbourne village centre with its fine selection of award winning independent shops, a supermarket, health centre, dentists, library, hairdressers, riverside pubs and fine restaurants. The Thames has fine riverside meadows, part-owned by the National Trust, the Thames Path, a children`s play area, tennis courts, football pitches, a bowling club and Pangbourne Adventure Dolphin centre offering canoeing and climbing instruction. Whitchurch Hill has a fine pub, The Sun.
Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens is a couple of miles up the road and is a lovely place for young families with amazing animals, birds, gardens, play parks, a splash pool and miniature train. Near to Beale Park is Basildon Park, the National Trust property, featuring a splendid Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
Pangbourne offers superb transport links with a fast train service to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading which will benefit from the upcoming Crossrail, offering fast links to the City. Waitrose can be found at both Tilehurst (approx. 4 miles) and Wallingford.
Schools: The property is located within walking distance of The Oratory Preparatory School, and a short drive from The Oratory, Pangbourne College, Bradfield College, St Andrew`s Preparatory School, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School. The property is in the catchment area of Langtree Secondary School at Woodcote, and Whitchurch Primary School which has an outstanding record.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter turn left, at the mini roundabout turn left again, at the George Hotel turn left. Proceed over the River Thames (toll bridge), through Whitchurch village to the top of Whitchurch Hill, passing the village green on the right. You will pass Orchard Coombe and Hill Bottom with a sign attached to a large oak tree on the right, beside the entrance to the property with electric wrought iron gates.
Post Code: RG8 7QA
Services: Mains water, electricity, modern septic tank drainage, full oil fired central heating, propane gas central heating to the garage/annexe.
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: South Oxfordshire, Band H.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.
- 6 double bedrooms 5 bathrooms/ shower rooms
- Luxuriously fitted to a exacting standards
- Beautiful location overlooking fields
- Fabulous 28 ft x 26 ft / 8 metre x 8 metre kitchen
- Totally private/ secluded location
- 7 acres
- Garaging for 6 cars
- Annexe - 1 bedroom, sitting room, kitchen
- Spectacular gardens
The Energy-Efficiency Rating is a measure of a home's overall efficiency. The higher the rating, the more energy-efficient the home is, and the lower the fuel bills are likely to be.
The Environmental Impact Rating is a measure of a home's impact on the environment in terms of carbon dioxide (C02) emissions - the higher the rating, the less impact it has on the environment.