- Modern building built in a period style
- Opportunity for further accommodation in the barn (subject to LAPP)
- Walk to pub, primary schools, shop/post office & children's play area
- Pangbourne Office 0118 984 2662
- Oak constructed detached barn/double garage
- Pretty and private landscaped gardens
- 3 double bedrooms
M4 (Junction 12) 10 mins drive ● Reading 11 miles ● Newbury 9 miles ● Aldermaston train station 1.6 miles (connection to London Paddington) (all distances are approx.)
1,593 sq ft / 148 m² (all measurements are approx.)
A delightful 3 bedroom detached character cottage built in the style of the late 1800s by the present owner some 25 years ago. With all the charm and character of a period cottage, yet incorporating the convenience of today's world. Constructed of old stock brick under a tiled roof with high ceilings, ancient exposed beams and a splendid brick constructed Inglenook fireplace with old Bessamer beam across.
More recently, a totally oak constructed barn/double garage and log store was added and this might easily be converted to further accommodation if required, and connected to the cottage (subject to LAPP).
The property is set in a peaceful and private location with car parking to the front, high hedges giving seclusion and wonderful landscaped gardens, planted with dedication and care. The rear gardens are secluded by high fencing and hedges, and enjoy the southerly sun.
Wren Cottage is within easy walking distance of two primary schools, the church, village hall, hairdressers, village shop/Post Office, Rosebourne food hall and garden centre with butcher and grocer, and the 17th century Hindshead pub which has a restaurant and boutique hotel rooms. Across the road is access to a well laid out children's play area, and the Wasing Lakes are a short drive, with picnic areas, footpaths giving wonderful walks and fishing,
• Although the house appears to be period, it has the enormous benefit of being constructed in 1996, with the recent addition of the garage and the refitting of the kitchen to a very high standard
• The kitchen has golden oak flooring throughout, fitted with a bespoke range of high-and low-level burr oak cupboards, with wide granite worksurfaces, integrated low level washing machine, tumble dryer, dishwasher, fridge and freezer. Kensington luxury cooking range with 2 large ovens, grill and 5 ring ceramic hob with Belling extractor hood over
• In the sitting room the Inglenook fireplace can be used as an open log fire if required
• It would not be difficult to introduce a doorway to the left of the Inglenook fireplace, and for a covered walk-through access to connect the garage block if this was converted to residential accommodation (subject to LAPP)
• First floor has 3 double bedrooms, a large and attractive galleried landing and large family bathroom
• Principal bedroom is double aspect, with pretty views and has a dressing room with large walk in wardrobe, that might easily be converted to an ensuite shower room if so desired
• Second bedroom has a built-in wardrobe, and cupboard with shelves
• To the rear a flagstone patio with paths leading round a rippling waterfall flowing into a small koi carp pond, which might be screened off with railings if young children were in occupation. The path gives access past shrubberies and herbaceous borders to the rear of the garden where there is a summer house which has electric light, power and heating. A splendid spot for a sundowner in all times of the year
• Behind the summer house, at the bottom of the garden is a tool store
• There is a wide side access and a further access from the front to the right. Both have wrought iron secure gates
• High levels of insulation and double glazing throughout
Summary of accommodation: Sitting room, reception hall, play room/second sitting room, spacious kitchen/dining room, 3 double bedrooms, dressing room to bedroom 1, family bathroom, double detached barn/garage block/log store, summer house, tool store.
Gardens: Wonderful landscaped gardens, planted with dedication and care. High hedges give seclusion to both front and rear. The rear gardens are secluded by high fencing and hedges, and enjoy the southerly sun. There is a flagstone patio, a small filtered koi carp pond, shrubberies and herbaceous borders, a summer house which has electric light, power and heating, and a tool store.
Local facilities: Within walking distance of the Aldermaston village stores, Cedars Independent Primary School, village C of E primary school, church and a fine old pub; The Hinds Head with restaurant and hotel rooms. The recently opened Rosebourne garden centre offers a food hall with butcher, grocer and restaurant.
Just up the road is the River Kennet with excellent fishing at Aldermaston Mill where day tickets are obtainable. Thatcham is approximately 6 miles which has a fantastic selection of shops including a Waitrose and in Calcot at Junction 12 there is a large Sainsbury's and Ikea.
There is a station at Aldermaston giving a fast train connection to London Paddington.
Schools: Within easy driving distance include Elstree, St Finian's, Bradfield College, Pangbourne College, Downe House, St Andrews Preparatory and Alder Bridge Steiner Waldorf in Padworth.
Directions: From junction 12 of the M4, follow the A4 towards Newbury, until you come to a roundabout with a signpost directing you to Aldermaston on the left. Proceed along this road until you enter Aldermaston village, turn immediately right beside the Hindhead Pub into Wasing Lane, and the property will be found on the left-hand side.
Post Code: RG7 4LX
EPC band : D
Services: Mains water and drainage, electricity, gas, gigaclear available.
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band E
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.