- An individually designed 4 bedroom property - 2,852 sq ft / 265 sq m
- Peaceful no thru close
- Maintained to a high standard throughout
- Good sized, very private gardens approx third of an acre
- Easy access to Crossrail train station at Reading & Theale train station
- Bus service to Reading, Pangbourne 4 miles, Heathrow 45 mins
- Superb living accommodation / 4 reception rooms
- Double garage with plenty of off road parking
- Large kitchen/ breakfast room thru orangery / large pantry and utility room
- 0118 9842662
M4 (junction 12) 1.5 miles ● Theale 3 miles ● Reading train station 3 miles ● Pangbourne 4 miles ● Heathrow 45 minutes' drive ● Footpaths with wonderful walks nearby (all distances/timings approximate)
2,852 sq ft / 265 m²
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.32 acre
(all measurements are approximate)
A charming, individually designed 4 bedroom detached house. Set within a very peaceful, private and secluded location, enjoying a commanding position at the far end of the Old Orchard looking down the pretty winding driveway access, which is a private road.
The property has been beautifully fitted, maintained to a high standard and tastefully decorated with spacious family accommodation which has received continual improvement. There is a recent addition of a primary double-glazed orangery, currently used as a breakfast/play room. This creates a fine extension next to the kitchen creating a wonderful hub of the house.
Pear Tree Cottage is one of only 8 individually designed detached houses within what was the old orchard once belonging to the fine Georgian Grange which lies adjacent. Each property set in a generous, beautifully landscaped plot with many of the old fruit trees still in existence. Pear Tree Cottage is no exception with a south westerly rear landscaped garden and total plot area of around one-third of an acre. The property also enjoys part of the original 18th century walls that used to surround the orchard.
Attractively constructed in 1981 to very high specifications by Monwood Fine Homes in a period style with the use of old stock brick.
This is a very convenient place to live, yet you are tucked away from the hurley-burley of busy roads in a peaceful and secluded spot, you could quite easily be in the heart of the Berkshire countryside, a splendid family house.
* The kitchen/breakfast room is a wonderful hub of the house. Fitted with an extensive range of country oak units with wide granite worktops, a breakfast bar/preparation island in the centre with cupboards and drawers under, Siemens fitted dishwasher, Bosch microwave, Leisure cuisine master cooking range with ceramic 5 ring hob and hot plate, 3 ovens and grill, stainless steel extractor over, granite splashback, undermounted Franke stainless steel sink with waste disposal, fitted fridge. Walkthrough access to orangery with French doors opening to rear gardens
* Utility room with plumbing for washing machine, walk in pantry and access to side gardens
* Study completely refitted with extensive range of bookshelves, desk, cupboards and drawers and window overlooking the rear gardens
* Dining room is adjacent to the kitchen, overlooking the rear gardens
* Sitting room has double aspect windows, French doors leading into the conservatory, fireplace in carved stone with stone hearth and fitted with wood burning stove
* Reception hall flooring lavishly refitted with a very beautiful hard wood which continues into the sitting room, dining room and study
* Principal bedroom has fitted wardrobes, a dressing room and large ensuite shower room
* The Old Orchard has a small number of properties built at different times but all substantial houses of great character
* EV charging point to front garden
* Boiler replaced 3 years ago
* Water softener with water purification systems for cooking and drinking,
Summary of accommodation:
Reception hall, cloakroom, dining room, study, sitting room, kitchen/breakfast room, orangery, utility room, conservatory, 4 double bedrooms, family bathroom, ensuite and dressing room to bedroom1. Double garage, summer house/office.
Gardens: Rear walled garden has been planted and maintained with love and care since the property was built. Wide well-maintained lawns, very pretty fish pond with lilies, a sun terrace wraps around the rear and left side of the house, giving lots of room for summer entertaining. The treelined gardens are completely private. There is a small vegetable garden in one corner, greenhouse, garden store and useful summer house with power, currently used as an office.
The front garden has spacious lawns well set back from the private drive. Double garage with large gravel forecourt, giving parking for a number of cars.
Local Facilities: Pear Tree Cottage is within easy walking distance to a number 26 bus service into central Reading, and just a few minutes' drive from the large Sainsbury's supermarket, and the retail park to includes a Boots pharmacy, Starbucks and Ikea.
Transport links are plentiful, with both Theale and Pangbourne giving fast train services to London Paddington, and Reading station just a couple of miles away, offering Crossrail links to the City
Very beautiful walks are to be found at the end of Mill Lane which pass the ancient Calcot Mill crossing the Holy Brook which flows from the River Kennet at a junction known as Arrowhead and onwards towards Reading Abbey. The footpath continues and leads to the Linear Park with water meadows, a children's play area, wonderful for dog walking or just an evening stroll, eventually the footpath joins the tow path beside the Kennet and Avon canal.
The countryside between Calcot and Newbury has long been known of outstanding rural beauty with the River Thames running through the pretty riverside village of Pangbourne, which is only a few miles by car, with its many shops, excellent pubs and restaurants. There is a Cobbs farm shop at Englefield which offers a butcher, groceries, fishmonger, deli and a café.
Schools: Good schools abound within the area; Leighton Park, Queen Anne's at Caversham, The Abbey School, Kendrick School – grammar school for girls, Reading Boys - grammar school for boys, Pangbourne College, Bradfield College, Downe House, The Oratory, St Andrew's Preparatory School, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School, all within reasonable driving distance and some of the schools have a bus pick up service.
Directions: From junction 12 of the M4, proceed along the A4 in the direction of Reading. Proceed over a set of traffic lights (with Sainsbury's on your left), over a roundabout, another set of traffic lights, and just past the entrance to Calcot Golf Course, turn right into Mill Lane. Take the first right into The Chase and immediately first left into Mill Lane. Proceed down the lane and turn right into The Old Orchard. Pear Tree Cottage will be found towards the end of the close on the left.
Post Code: RG31 7RF
Services: Mains water, electricity, gas & drainage. EV charging point. Water softener. High speed broadband connected.
EPC Rating: C
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
0118 984 2662
Websites: singletonanddaughter.co.uk rightmove.co.uk, mayfairoffice.co.uk, onthemarket.com, countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors.
(i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.