- A splendid character Edwardian country house
- Large imposing reception hall with open fireplace
- Wonderful spacious reception rooms
- Set amongst private park like grounds of approx 3.14 acres
- Several outbuildings and a hard tennis court
- 5/6 bedrooms
- Fabulous recently refitted kitchen/dining room
- Polished Oak flooring and open fireplaces
- Three car carport and ample parking
- Pangbourne office 0118 9842662
Newbury 5 miles ● Pangbourne 10 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 12 minutes ● M4 (junc 13)15 minutes ● Theale station is 45 minutes to Paddington ● A34 - 15 minutes drive
(all distances and timings are approximate)
Main House 3,729 sq ft / 347 m²
Outbuilding 1,993 sq ft / 185 m²
Carport 549 sq ft / 51 m²
Gardens and grounds extending to: 3.14 acres / 1.27 hectares
(all measurements are approximate)
A splendid 5/6 bedroom character country house constructed originally in the Edwardian period with substantial recent additions and in fine order throughout. Entered from the highway by way of a long byway through the sleepy and unspoilt Bucklebury Common.
Chadwell is set amongst its own park like, very secluded and private grounds with large sweeping lawns reaching down to woodland, part of the lawns might be separated into a pony paddock if so desired.
This is perhaps one of the most scenically beautiful sought-after areas in which to buy a country house in this part of the world and the property has been meticulously maintained and continuously updated by the present owners.
• Very large and imposing reception hall with stone open fireplace fitted with a Jetmaster wood burner
• Fabulous spacious kitchen/dining room refitted to a very high standard of recent times with natural slate flooring, French doors onto the patio, access from the front of the property,corian worksurfaces, granite topped central preparation island with range of cupboards under, fitted microwave and breakfast bar. Bosch units to include extractor over a 4-ring ceramic hob with twin ovens under, fitted AEG dishwasher, recessed fridge and fitted freezer, underfloor heating
• The drawing room is large and has a stone open fireplace with a Jetmaster wood burner, French doors lead onto the garden and an oval bay with lantern skylight above. At one end there is a further sitting room area with a central cupboard concealing the television, with electrically operated door which will rise for viewing
• Family room/sitting room is centrally positioned with access from the reception hall
• Library/ Study is spacious with double aspect, extensive range of book shelves
• Bathrooms are luxuriously fitted with Villeroy and Boche sanitary ware and Hans Grohe shower units
• Large master bedroom suite with large dressing room and spacious ensuite shower room
• Park like grounds create a wonderful setting and also part of the large lawns, perhaps a couple of acres, might be used by separation for equestrian purposes, there are lots of bridle-paths through the area
• Directly to the rear of the property there is a large raised sun terrace which gains the southerly and westerly sun and an oval summer dining area
• Polished natural oak plank flooring in the reception hall
• Most of the windows and doors have been replaced and are primary double glazed, as is the lantern skylight in the drawing room
• Large car port for 3 cars and parking for many more
• Several outbuildings, one of which is approximately 100` x 20` and is presently used as a recreational room and machinery store, but could easily accommodate a number of vintage cars with gravelled vehicular access from the front entrance
Summary of accommodation: a very large and imposing reception hall, cloakroom, staircase rising gracefully to the first floor, drawing room, library/ study, sitting/family room, large kitchen/dining room, large utility room, with dog area. 5 double bedrooms and 1 single (one of the double bedrooms is presently used as a dressing room), ensuite to master bedroom, ensuite to guest bedroom and family bathroom.
Outside: 3 bay car port, garden store, poultry shed, very large outbuilding in good condition for machinery/vintage vehicle store, hard tennis court.
Gardens and grounds: Park like grounds with large sweeping lawns reaching down to woodland. A couple of acres might be used by separation for equestrian purposes. Hard tennis court.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 3.14 acres / 1.27 hectares.
Note. Part of the grounds (1.5 acres approx.) which might be used for equestrian grazing are subject to a 999 year lease which commenced in 1951.
Leaseholds over 100 years are viewed in the same way as a freehold by mortgage lenders.
Local facilities: This area is known for fine restaurants and period pubs and just along from the property is the Gastro Pub of the Year 2017; The Bladebone, with its excellent restaurant, there is also a lovely tea room; The Blackbird Cafe. There is a general store at Upper Bucklebury and a village run Post Office and general store at Southend Bradfield, both within a few minutes` drive. Stanford Dingley is a short distance by car with its famous 16th century pub, The Old Boot Inn and The Bull Inn. There is a health centre 2 minutes away in Chapel Row.
Bucklebury Common is positioned with extremely convenient road links to the M4 and A4. Heathrow airport is an hour`s drive. There are train stations within easy reach at Theale and Pangbourne giving good commuter access to London Paddington and Reading (soon to have Crossrail). It is a short drive to Newbury with its excellent shopping centre, leisure facilities and the well-known Newbury Racecourse. Yattendon village is just a couple of miles away with the famous country house hotel and restaurant; The Royal Oak.
For extra shopping and amenities, Pangbourne village is approximatey15 minutes` drive and has a fabulous selection of award-winning specialist shops, restaurants, riverside pubs, a health centre, dentists, hairdressers.
Bradfield College has a fabulous sports complex open to public membership, with a fine indoor pool, indoor/outdoor tennis courts, squash, gym and fitness centre and 9-hole golf course.
Schools: Excellent schools abound within easy driving distance to include; Bradfield College, Pangbourne College, Downe House, St Andrew`s Preparatory School, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory School for Boys, The Oratory School, Brockhurst & Marlston House Preparatory School & Elstree Preparatory School. There is a C of E primary school at both Upper Bucklebury and Bradfield and a Montessori Nursery School in Bradfield.
Directions: From Bradfield Southend, head west onto the Avenue of Oaks, pass The Bladebone Inn, a short distance along, past a national speed limit sign, on the left hand side you`ll see a pair of posts with painted yellow tops, turn left, stay on the left hand side of the bridle path, do not fork right, proceed to the end, at the end turn right and Chadwell will be the last house on the left hand side.
Post Code: RG7 6QB
Services: Mains electric, water, septic tank drainage, oil fired central heating, underfloor heating to kitchen/dining room. Gigaclear high speed broadband available.
EPC Rating: D
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.