- Charming detached 4 bedroom house
- Outstanding views over pastureland owned by the National Trust
- Lots of period features
- Laundry room
- Idyllic and sought-after location
- Valuably unlisted
- Thorough re furbishment & modernisation
- Detached double garage with games room over
- Large gardens and grounds
- Set on the highly sought after Avenue of Oaks
Pangbourne 6 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 5 miles ● Reading / Newbury 8 miles ● Theale Station 7 miles (all mileages/distance are approximate)
Total Square footage/ sq meterage - 3007 sq ft/ 279 sq m (approx)
Gardens and grounds extending to 0.28 acre
(all measurements are approximate)
High speed Gigaclear broadband connected.
A charming detached 4 bedroom period house, valuably unlisted. Originally constructed in 1738 with some later additions. The property is entered by way of a long drive from the famous Avenue of Oaks, noted for its beauty, and lying adjacent to the unspoilt Bucklebury Common, with lots of walks and bridle paths. This is an idyllic location enjoying peace and rural tranquillity.
Surrounded by the most beautiful, unspoilt, undulating and lightly wooded countryside, with outstanding views to the distance with pastureland owned on all sides by the National Trust.
Black Barns has been the subject of tasteful and thorough refurbishment and modernisation by the present owners who have occupied the property for approximately 4 years. The interior is a delight, with mainly high ceilings, with original beams, and the accommodation is on three floors.
It would be hard to find a more beautiful, tucked away and sleepy location, well away from the road, yet within easy access of all amenities. This is a wonderful opportunity to live in this very sought-after location.
* Main sitting room has high ceilings, pretty open fireplace and hood, windows overlooking the rear gardens and enjoying the views
* Further living room with a woodburning stove, this is the original Inglenook with to one side the bread ovens and door still in existence, fine views over the garden and a door to the rear terrace
* The spacious kitchen/ breakfast room has been refitted to a very high standard with a fitted Bosch oven, steam oven, dishwasher, ceramic induction hob, Bosch extractor over, breakfast bar, area for a large table. There is also a door to a rear porch and the rear garden
* Reception hall has parquet flooring, wide porch, and downstairs cloakroom with shower
* Large principal bedroom with splendid double aspect views
* A gently rising staircase in keeping with the period to the second floor/bedroom 4 which has two Dormer windows enjoying fine views, also lots of space for a home office
* Wide forecourt with plenty of parking
* Double garage with games room above with pool table, and separate laundry room which is fully plumbed for washing machine
* House and garage have been fitted with secondary double glazing
Note: The large shed on the boundary is leased from the National Trust.
Summary of accommodation: Reception hall, cloakroom, sitting room, living room, kitchen/breakfast room, 4 bedrooms, family bathroom, shower room. Double garage with laundry room and games room above.
Gardens: Very pretty gardens to the rear, with well-maintained lawns and flower beds, mature trees, a modern greenhouse and a stone paved terrace for summer dining and BBQs
Log store. Beside the garage there is a small chicken run and vegetable garden. There is an electric 5 bar gate to the car parking area in front of the property, further parking to the side of the property.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.28 acre (approx.)
Local facilities: This area is known for fine restaurants and period pubs and just down The Avenue is the Gastro Pub of the Year 2017; The Bladebone, with its excellent restaurant, there is also a lovely tea room serving a fine range of cakes and snacks; The Blackbird Cafe. There is a general store at Upper Bucklebury and a Post Office and general store at Southend Bradfield, both within a few minutes' drive. Stanford Dingley is a short distance by car with its famous 16th century pub, The Old Boot Inn.
The village of Bucklebury, which is mentioned in the Domesday Book, is positioned with extremely convenient road links to the M4 and A4. Heathrow airport is an hour's drive. There are train stations within easy reach at Thatcham and Pangbourne giving good commuter access to Reading and London Paddington. It is a short drive to Newbury with its excellent shopping centre, leisure facilities and the well-known Newbury Racecourse. Yattendon village is just a couple of miles away with the famous country house hotel and restaurant; The Royal Oak.
For extra shopping and amenities, Pangbourne village is 15 minutes' drive and has a fabulous selection of award-winning specialist shops, restaurants, riverside pubs, a health centre, dentists, hairdressers.
Bradfield College has a fabulous sports complex open to public membership, with a fine indoor pool, indoor tennis courts, squash, gym and fitness centre and 9-hole golf course.
Schools: Excellent schools abound within easy driving distance to include; Bradfield College, Pangbourne College, Downe House, St Andrew's Preparatory School, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory School for Boys, The Oratory School, Brockhurst & Marlston House Preparatory School & Elstree Preparatory School. There is a C of E primary school at both Upper Bucklebury and Bradfield.
Directions: From Bradfield Southend, head onto the Avenue of Oaks, pass the turning on the left signposted to Beenham Village, pass a new footpath sign on the right, and look for a red cone on the left, turn in here.
Post Code: RG7 6NT
Services: Mains water, electricity, septic tank drainage, oil fired central heating, Gigaclear high speed broadband, water softener. Exterior security lighting.
EPC Rating: TBC
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.