- A beautiful 5 bed period house within walking distance to Pangbourne, set in a peaceful location
- Superb order throughout
- Extensive gardens and grounds with a paddock
- Hard tennis court, swimming pool
- Superb views
- Seclusion and privacy
- Office / gym / potential annexe accommodation
- Magnificent part-walled gardens
- Parking for numbers of cars
Walking distance to the centre of Pangbourne, primary school and train station ● Reading 6 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 4 miles (all distances are approximate)
4,725 sq ft / 439 m²
Gardens & Grounds 1.44 acres / 0.58 hectare
(all measurements are approximate)
A very special 5 bedroom, detached period country house of immense charm, enjoying a glorious, sleepy location overlooking fields, situated on the edge of Pangbourne village.
The property is set amidst very pretty, long-established part-walled gardens, with to one side, splendid views over farmland. Within the gardens is a hard tennis court, and within a central courtyard, an outdoor heated swimming pool.
This is a first-class period family house with a wonderful flow of accommodation. Entered from a private lane, so no through traffic, and within walking distance of the centre of Pangbourne village, the station and primary school.
The Garden House was originally constructed in the 1600's and was part of the magnificent Purley Hall estate which lies adjacent. The property is valuably unlisted, with only the garden wall, which may be listed, although no evidence has been found to support this.
Much of the original character of the building has been retained during its restoration and refurbishment, and the property has excellent ceiling heights throughout, with large windows giving lots of light.
There are many footpaths easily accessible from the property, enabling fabulous walks through natural countryside.
• Drawing room with large open fire fitted with a wood burning stove, exposed beams with a vaulted ceiling and panelled door giving access to the rear and French doors onto the inner courtyard and pool area
• The spacious kitchen/living room area, with walk through access to the orangery
• Kitchen has cream painted cupboard and drawer units, Bosch American style fridge freezer, AGA double oven, with two hobs, Neff Flex Induction hob, polished quartz worksurfaces, fitted dishwasher, windows overlooking the garden, and light oak flooring
• A very useful detached building, which has 3 rooms, one presently used as an office, one a gym and the third as a flexible sitting room/ office, a cloakroom, attached garage, independent central heating, and a rear courtyard/seating area. This could become a self-contained annex subject to correct local authority planning permission
• The large reception/dining hall with open fireplace, Bessemer beam across, exposed beams and flagstone floor
• Sitting room has a central fireplace with bookshelves either side, one of which conceals a secret entrance to an inner hallway
• At the far end of the inner hallway is a large games room with French doors and windows directly overlooking the courtyard and pool
• Hard tennis court which has been recently refurbished along with the surrounding fencing
• The outdoor heated swimming pool measures approx. 26' x 18' and has been refurbished, to include the pool services and filtration plant, and the introduction of an air source heat pump. Pool surround has been laid in non-slip astro turf, there is a summer cover and a safety winter cover
• Utility room houses an electric oven, double bowl sink plus plumbing for washing machine, space for tumble drier
• New loft insulation, new flat roof to games room, new oil tank, new oil-fired boiler and pressurised heating system
• Wonderful views over adjoining farmland
• Underfloor heating to the orangery area
• Bathrooms/shower rooms have been refurbished to a high standard
• Fine examples of golden oak flooring
Summary of accommodation: Entrance lobby, reception/dining hall, drawing room, sitting room, kitchen, orangery/breakfast room, games room, utility room, cloakroom/shower room, 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms. Detached building with 3 rooms, a cloakroom and attached single garage.
Gardens & Grounds: Wonderful, mature, private and sunny gardens with a southerly and westerly aspect. Many trees to include plum, apple and hazel, shrubberies, wisteria and a large grapevine. Sweeping lawns, terrace areas for summer dining, greenhouse, informal garden with garden store. There is a productive vegetable garden and chicken coop with run. High period red brick wall surrounds much of the garden. Sheltered and enclosed outdoor heated swimming pool with jacuzzi area, brick BBQ and fenced hard tennis court. Further store room and pool plant room.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 1.44 acres / 0.58 hectares approx.
Local facilities: Pangbourne is a wonderful period village with its fine selection of award-winning independent shops, a small supermarket, health centre, dentists, doctors' surgery, library, hairdressers, barbers, restaurants and riverside pubs. There are many wonderful farm shops in the locality, and a Waitrose in Tilehurst.
By the River Thames there are riverside meadows, part-owned by the National Trust, the Thames Path, a children's play area, tennis courts, football pitches, a bowling club and Pangbourne Adventure Dolphin centre offering kayak, canoe, SUP and climbing tuition.
Pangbourne offers superb transport links with fast train services to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading which will benefit from Crossrail links to the city.
Excellent schools: The Garden House House is located within easy reach of a number of fine schools; Pangbourne College, Bradfield College, St Andrew's Prep, The Oratory School, Downe House, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School.
There are bus pick up points in Pangbourne for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon, and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey. Pangbourne Primary School has foundation stage 1.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter turn left and left at the mini roundabout. Proceed over the mini roundabout at The George Hotel and proceed out of the village, passing the petrol station on your right. Turn right into Sulham Lane. Proceed straight ahead for about 300 yards and turn left at a sign to Home Farm, with farm buildings on your right, and the old Sulham Water Mill on the left, bear right onto a gravel track, passing Home Farm on your left, at the far end turn left into The Garden House which has a large courtyard for parking.
Post Code: RG8 8DT
Services: Mains water, electricity, private drainage, oil fired central heating. Air source heat pump for swimming pool. Water softener. Security system.
EPC Rating: F
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
0118 984 2662
Websites: singletonanddaughter.co.uk rightmove.co.uk, mayfairoffice.co.uk, onthemarket.com, countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors.
(i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.