- Period detached cottage
- Centre of the village
- Good size gardens
- Garage and parking
- Three bedrooms
- 50ft frontage to the river Pang
- Potential for improvement and extension stpp
Reading 9 miles ● Newbury 9 miles ● Pangbourne/station 5 miles ● M4 (junction 12) 9 miles (all distances approximate)
1,531 sq ft / 142 m²
Gardens & Grounds 0.2 acres / 0.08 hectares with 50ft frontage to River Pang (not navigable) (all measurements are approximate)
Description: A charming 3 bedroom detached period cottage, with approximately 50ft direct frontage to the River Pang. Positioned within the heart of this idyllic, unspoilt, sleepy period village, nestling on the banks of the river.
Bridge House is Grade II listed and offers potential for some modernisation, set in spacious private gardens with paved access from the peaceful lane which runs through the heart of the village, with car parking and a single garage.
Within easy walking distance of two period pubs; The Old Boot Inn and The Bull, both offering excellent ales, pretty gardens and restaurant dining.
The gardens to the front are mainly laid to lawn, with a mature hedge secluding the property from the lane, with further gardens, mainly laid to lawn leading down to the River Pang.
Hardly anyone arrives in Stanford Dingley by chance and there is very little through traffic. You have to look for this village to find it, so the peaceful nature of this fine rural area is not disturbed.
● The potential for improvement, subject to local authority planning, the garage might be used as further accommodation
● Sitting room is very pretty with lots of exposed beams to the ceiling and walls, a large open log fire with copper hood over, raised flagstone hearth and Bessemer beam across with exposed brick chimney breast
● The hall is unusually spacious, with room for a dining table if so desired
● Fully fitted kitchen with a range of oak fronted units, freestanding electric cooker with 4 ring hob and electric oven, dishwasher,
● First floor has a spacious landing with 2 double bedrooms and a large single bedroom
● Bedroom 1 has an ensuite cloakroom
● Built in wardrobes to the two double bedrooms
● Plenty of room adjacent to the vehicular access for private parking, if required
● The River Pang is a noted trout stream where brown trout have bred for generations and now there are lots of crayfish
● Pretty views over the ancient Mill which lies adjacent and walking distance to the church
● Unspoilt country surrounds Stanford Dingley
Summary of accommodation: Reception/dining hall, sitting room, kitchen/breakfast room, bathroom on ground floor, 3 bedrooms, bedroom 1 with an ensuite cloakroom. Large single garage.
Gardens: To the front are mainly laid to lawn, with mature hedging secluding the property from the lane, further gardens, mainly laid to lawn lead down to the River Pang. Gardens extending to 0.2 acres / 0.08 hectares. 50ft frontage to River Pang (not navigable).
Note 1: In the freak weather conditions of July 2007, the cottage was flooded along with several other houses in the village. This extreme weather event also caused flooding of property throughout the Pang Valley and further afield in Berkshire and other neighbouring counties. The vendors have put in preventative measures.
Note 2: The Pang Valley Flood Forum has been formed with the aim of ensuring that flood risk to property is reduced to a minimum. Organised by West Berkshire Council, Stanford Dingley and the other communities down the valley are represented as are the local water company & Environment Agency. In the last three years and also the winters of 2012 & 2013, where the UK experienced adverse weather conditions which caused river flooding in many parts of the country, Bridge House was not affected.
Local facilities: Within the heart of Stanford Dingley and within easy walking distance are the ancient and historic pubs, The Bull and The Old Boot Inn, both with restaurants.
A quintessential English village, Stanford is from the old English for stoney-ford, perhaps indicating a Roman river crossing of the Pang heading towards Dorchester-on-Thames. Dingley was the name of the Lords of the Manor, one of their wives has a brass memorial in the 12th century village church, St Denys. The church has remnants of the original Saxon church within its inner walls and the main door and Nave wall date from the 13th century and the white wooden bell tower was built in the 15th century.
Just over a mile away are the villages of Bradfield and Bradfield Southend which have a wonderful community with a village store/Post Office, a cricket ground and a recreation ground. Bradfield has an excellent riding school, a village hall with all sorts of events and a children`s play area, tennis courts and a tennis club.
Bradfield College has a fabulous sports complex open to public membership and a 9-hole golf course. Along Bucklebury Avenue is a health centre, a good pub and a cafe. In Yattendon, West Berkshire Brewery has their famous brewery.
The M4 Junction 12 at Theale is within easy driving access, as is M4 Junction 13. Reading is 9 miles, Newbury 9 miles, and Pangbourne village 5 miles with its tremendous selection of specialist shops and a train station (all distances are approximate).
Schools: Schools abound including Bradfield Primary School, Yattendon Primary, Bradfield College, Pangbourne College, St Andrew`s Preparatory School, Downe House, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory School for Boys, The Oratory, and Elstree.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, proceed over the mini roundabout, passing the Elephant Hotel and turn first right at St James the Less Church into Pangbourne Hill. Proceed up Pangbourne Hill for a short distance, turning left into Bere Court Road. Proceed as far as you can go, passing over several cross roads. Eventually, you will find a T junction which is Stanford Dingley. At the T junction, turn left and you will pass the church on your left and the Bull pub. The property will be found a short distance along on the left before you get to the Pang River bridge. Pass a gravelled entrance drive on the left beside a property called Tall Trees and Bridge House will be found on the left before the River Pang bridge.
Services: Main water, electricity and drainage, oil fired central heating
Post Code: RG7 6LS
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: F
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent; Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.