- Detached period house in a quintessential English village
- 4 reception rooms
- 3 good quality modern bathrooms
- Double garage block in the form of a stable and coach house
- Superb large gardens of approx 0.54 acres
- 6 bedrooms
- Large beautifully fitted kitchen/breakfast room
- Dining room and sitting room fireplaces fitted with wood burning stoves
- Possibility of a self contained annexe
- Pangbourne office 0118 9842662
Didcot train station 4 miles ● A34 7.5 miles ● Wallingford 1 mile
(all distances approximate)
Main house: 4,190 sq ft / 389 m²
Garage/Annexe: 1,283 sq ft / 119 m²
Gardens extending to 0.54 acre / 0.22 hectare approx.
(all measurements are approximate)
A splendid 6 bedroom detached period country house situated within the heart of this quintessential peaceful English village.
Church House is within easy walking distance of the thriving volunteer-run village shop and Post Office, the CAMRA award-winning Red Lion pub with restaurant, 3 churches, a primary school, pre-school, recreation ground, tennis courts and village hall.
This is a wonderful spacious, light family house, valuably unlisted, with high ceilings, the property could be the subject of further extension, especially in the central area between the two wings at the rear which currently holds a pergola with established grape vines, (subject to LAPP).
There is the possibility of a self-contained annexe on the east side of the property which has a separate entrance, a sitting room on the ground floor, a cloakroom which could be turned into a kitchen and a staircase giving access to a double bedroom with doors which open onto a balcony overlooking the rear gardens and a bathroom.
The attractive garage block, constructed in the form of a stable and coach house might also be used as an annexe with first floor accommodation (subject to LAPP).
There are some fine far reaching views from the rear south facing gardens over open countryside.
Brightwell-cum-Sotwell nestles in a hollow below the Wittenham Clumps, which is a great location for families and dog walkers.
• The fantastic large centrally positioned kitchen/breakfast room which is beautifully fitted with an exemplary selection of painted cupboard and drawer units, Corian worksurfaces, long central island with sink including a boiling/cold filter water tap. Dishwasher, large dresser unit with china cupboard, pot drawers, cutlery drawers, fitted Neff microwave, Neff double electric oven unit, excellent Kuppersbusch 4 ring induction hob, extractor over, fitted fridge freezer. Flooring is ceramic flagstone tiled. There are sliding patio doors which open onto the large rear flagstone patio
• The garage block, constructed in the form of a stable and coach house with roof surmounted by a clock tower/dovecote, might also be used as an annexe with first floor accommodation. There are twin up and over doors to the garages, a large forecourt for parking and a cobbled access to the rear garden, a large garden store/workshop with windows, a machinery store and log store. There is a very large first floor with windows at both ends, a pair of Dorma windows which might be the subject of an easy conversion to residential use perhaps as an annexe if so desired (s.t. LAPP)
• The possibility of the east wing of the main house which has a separate staircase from the west wing and could be used as a granny annexe
• The principal bedroom has a large sitting room and a large well-fitted ensuite shower room
• Dining room and sitting room fireplaces are fitted with wood burning stoves
• Underfloor central heating to the main sitting room and two of the bathrooms
• Previous owners have used the dining room as a drawing room, and the sitting room as a dining room, very much according to how many people you wish to seat
• Further sitting room and study off the entrance hall
• Good quality modern bathrooms
• Large office to the first floor (also could be bedroom 2)
• Large laundry room with separate boiler room and door to the exterior
• The house had a damp proof injection in 2009 which is under guarantee for 20 years
• The roof has had major restoration by the present owner
• The central heating system was replaced in 2009
• High pressure water system with water softener and gas fired boiler
• Property has been in the main been re-wired
• Windows throughout and French doors have been replaced with primary double-glazed units in keeping with the property
Summary of accommodation: large reception hall, dining room, drawing room, sitting room, family room, study, utility room, side entrance with hall, kitchen/breakfast room. 6 bedrooms, one currently used as an office, 3 bathrooms, 2 cloakrooms.
2 car garage block with several internal store rooms and first floor.
Gardens and grounds: Large rear gardens with its westerly parterre garden with box hedging, children's play area with tree house and slide, with large spacious lawns, shrubberies, rose gardens, vine covered pergola, large flagstone patio area for summer dining, greenhouse, raised bed vegetable garden.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.54 acre /0.22 hectares (approx.)
Local Facilities: Brightwell-cum-Sotwell is a highly sought after, peaceful period village which benefits from being close to lots of shops, amenities and transport links in neighbouring towns.
Church House is within easy walking distance of the village store, the recreation area is home to the cricket club, Kings Meadow has tennis courts, recently resurfaced and free to use for residents, basketball area, outdoor gym, play areas for children and also the Brightwell Toddlers preschool, part of the Primary School. The village hall has film nights and gatherings throughout the year.
The countryside surrounding Brightwell-cum-Sotwell is noted to be of outstanding rural beauty and footpaths are within easy access enabling very pretty walks through open countryside. The village is near the famous Wittenham Clumps, perfect for families and dog walkers with views over the River Thames and across to the Chilterns, Downs and Ridgeway.
This is also excellent riding country with the nearby Downs giving access to gallops, bridle paths and the Blewbury Riding Centre for the equestrian enthusiast.
Wallingford, on the River Thames, is a few minutes' drive away and offers fantastic walks, riverside pubs, restaurants, a Waitrose and Lidl supermarket, many independent and popular shops, a fine antiques centre and regular farmer's markets. Didcot is home to many popular high street retailers and its supermarkets include M&S Food, Sainsbury's, Tesco and Aldi, there are numerous banks, health services, leisure centres, arts centre and a multiplex cinema.
Didcot Parkway is a mainline station offering superb commuter links to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading with Crossrail imminent opening up the City and beyond, as well as the West Country and South Wales. The A34 is only a 10 minutes' drive, offering easy links to both the M4 and the M40.
Schools: Brightwell-cum-Sotwell Primary School and the Pre-school are within walking distance. The close neighbouring village of South Moreton also has a highly regarded Primary School. The village is within the catchment area ffor Didcot Girls School which is Ofsted rated as outstanding, and Wallingford School. Independent schools within easy driving distance include; The Oratory, Cranford House, Mouslford Preparatory, St Helens & St Katharine in Abingdon, Pangbourne College and Bradfield College.
Directions: From Wallingford, take the A4130 towards Didcot, take the first road on the left hand side, Slade End, travel along this lane, it becomes Sotwell Street. This is a pretty lane running through the heart of the village some parts quite narrow, proceed until you find a 20mph sign on the left outside a white building, the next building is St James House, the next building is the Free Church and Church house is immediately beside it, park on the lane outside the Free Church and enter the property beside the church which is the vehicular and pedestrian main access.
Post Code: OX10 0RH
Services: Mains electricity, gas, water and drainage. Water softener.
EPC Rating: D
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: South Oxfordshire, Band G
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.