- Handsome period detached house
- 5 Double bedrooms
- Refitted modern kitchen/breakfast/living room
- Secluded front and rear gardens with timber summer house
- Space for an Oak framed garage (permission recently lapsed)
- Having undergone a complete, tasteful & thorough restoration
- 4 Bathrooms
- High ceilings, open fire fireplaces, oak panelled doors
- Ample off road parking
- Prestigious road in the centre of the village
Pangbourne village centre, a few minutes` walk to shops & train station ● Reading 6 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 5 miles ● Fast trains to London Paddington (47 minutes) ● Heathrow 45 mins drive
(all distances/times are approximate)
3,777 sq ft / 351 m² (all measurements are approximate)
Gardens & Grounds: extending to approximately 0.37 acre / 0.15 ha.
A luxuriously fitted 5 bedroom period house set in one of the most prestigious roads. A spacious, light and beautifully fitted village property within a few minutes` walk to the shops, amenities and trains to London and Oxford.
A handsome period 5 bedroom family house, constructed in the mid 1800s in the manner of an earlier period of English architecture.
Riverview Road is one of the most prestigious and sought-after residential roads in the heart of Pangbourne. Set on high ground, this is a private and no-through road which at one end has a footpath linking directly to Pangbourne Station, and the property is well set back from the road, and enjoys a peaceful and secluded location.
Southwood is typical of this wonderful period of English architecture, with fabulous stone mullion windows, an exceptional bow window to the sitting room, stone quoins and a beautiful stone arched main access to the reception hall with traditional original panelled oak entrance door and bell pull.
The property has undergone a complete, thorough and tasteful restoration and modernisation programme by the present owners, keeping all the best of the original features. These include the wonderful original oak panelled doors, and the fine oak beamed ceilings of the sitting room and living room. The garden room has been refurbished recently, the modern kitchen refitted, and the main entrance redesigned.
Much of the interior to the ground floor and first floor has been redesigned and in places, extended.
• The recently refitted modern kitchen has an extensive range of high and low-level cupboards and, drawers with pantry units, fitted fridge, large pan drawers, cutlery drawers, 2 dishwashers, fitted wine cooler, Mercury commercial standard 5 gas ring cooking range with oven, grill and heating drawers under
• Laundry room also acts as an auxiliary kitchen with oven and hob, sink, dishwasher and storage units
• Hallway/boot room outside laundry/auxiliary kitchen
• There are high ceilings and fine original oak panelled doors throughout
• The open fireplace with wood burning stove and original mantle in the living room
• Large open fireplace fitted with wood burning stove in the sitting room
• The study/library has an extensive range of bookshelves constructed in a ladder format so the high shelves can be easily reached, and an alcove for a desk with a concealed door to a large modern boiler cupboard containing the gas fired boiler and high-pressure water tank
• The majority of the ground floor has waterfilled underfloor heating with all the various areas controlled by wall mounted thermostats
• Central heating for the rear lobby, study/library, rear cloakroom and laundry room, is by way of radiators, as is the first floor
• The present owners, on the purchase of the property, replaced the wiring, plumbing and central heating in entirety
• A number of the windows have been replaced, all the windows have been restored, and some are primary double glazed
• There is a separate entrance at the front of the property giving access to the study/library and laundry/auxiliary kitchen, as well as the rear gardens. This wing could make a good bedsit room with a kitchen and cloakroom
• Designs and planning permission in place for a ground floor rear extension that could serve as a playroom or conservatory
• Polished oak parquet flooring in the reception hall and sitting room
• The kitchen/breakfast/living area has polished oak planked flooring
• The property is unlisted
• Original Victorian servants bell room indicator wall mounted in the living room area
Summary of accommodation:
Ground floor: Reception hall, 2 cloakrooms, study/library, sitting room, living room, kitchen/breakfast room with living area, laundry room/auxiliary kitchen, rear hallway/boot room with door to rear gardens.
1st floor: large landing, 5 double bedrooms, 4 shower/bathrooms, including the master suite of dressing area with freestanding bath and separate shower room.
Garden studio/office with power, heating, sound proofing and water.
Gardens and grounds: Landscaped with high hedges and trees giving seclusion, well-maintained lawns to front and rear, with a wide access and parking for a number of cars. The front drive is flanked by well-maintained lawns and hedges. There is room if required for the construction of an oak framed garage/car port, for which designs are in place and planning permission (recently lapsed). Further guest parking immediately outside the gates to the property with reinforced grass hard standing. Timber garden store at the rear of the garden.
Gardens & Grounds: extending to approximately 0.37 acre / 0.15 ha.
Local facilities: Pangbourne is a wonderful period village with a fine selection of award-winning independent shops, a small supermarket, health centre, dentists, library, hairdressers, riverside pubs and fine restaurants. Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens is a lovely place for young families with amazing animals, birds, gardens, play parks, a splash pool and miniature train. Basildon Park is a National Trust property featuring a splendid Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
There are also plenty of facilities for the golfing enthusiast in the area – Streatley Hills, Mapledurham and Calcot to name but a few.
Pangbourne offers superb transport links with a fast train service to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading, the imminent Crossrail offering fast links to the City in the coming years, as well as buses to all local areas. Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only five minutes driving distance.
Bradfield College has a fabulous sports complex open to public membership, with a fine indoor pool, indoor/outdoor tennis courts, squash, gym and fitness centre. There is a 9-hole golf course at Bradfield College which is open to public membership. The large supermarkets of Waitrose and Sainsburys and Fielders Farm Shop on the Englefield Road, the other side of Tidmarsh, are all within easy driving distance.
Excellent schools: Southwood is located within easy reach of a number of fine schools. Pangbourne College, Bradfield College and St Andrew`s Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory School, Downe House, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School. There are bus pick up points in Pangbourne for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon, and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey. Pangbourne Primary School is in the village and within walking distance, which has foundation stage 1 and Pangbourne is also within the catchment area for Theale Green School (with school bus pick up in the village).
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter turn left, pass over the mini roundabout passing The Elephant Hotel on the right. Turn first right at St James the Less Church into Pangbourne Hill. A short distance along turn first right into Riverview Road. Proceed up Riverview Road and the property will be found on the right.
Post Code: RG8 7AU
Services: Mains electricity, water, gas. Septic tank drainage.
EPC Rating: D
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.