Guide Price £2,495,000 - Available
Walking distance to village centre, shops and station ● M4 (junc 12) 5 miles ● Heathrow 45 mins drive (all distances/times are approximate)
5,085 sq ft / 472 m² (all measurements are approximate)
Gardens & grounds extending to 0.64 acres / 0.3 hectares (all measurements are approximate)
An elegant, beautifully restored 6 bedroom Victorian country house of enormous presence. One of Pangbourne`s most important houses set on high ground and only a few minutes` walk to shops, restaurants, pubs, station and schools.
Standing amidst exceptional landscaped gardens, redesigned to the present owners requirements by Howard Nowell Landscapes. The gardens have received the same lavish and loving care as the interior and exterior of the house.
This is a splendid family residence in superb order throughout.
● The wonderful golden oak joinery throughout to include a graceful main staircase rising to the first floor with galleried landing
● The large reception hall with its traditional flooring and stained glass windows to the front door and to the side of the front door in the Victorian manner
● An elegant sitting room with double oak panelled doors giving access from the reception hall. There is a large fireplace fitted with wood burning stove and attractive carved pine surround and granite hearth. Three pairs of large full height French doors overlook the gardens and give access to the sun terrace for summer dining and entertaining
● The kitchen/dining room is beautifully fitted with double aspect views of the gardens to front and rear, with wide and high French doors leading onto the rear gardens and sun terrace. The kitchen is comprehensively fitted with an extensive range of bespoke high and low level cupboards and drawer units designed and fitted by Elements Kitchens. There is a central preparation island part-granite, part-oak also serving as a breakfast bar with three free-standing stools. The fittings include a Neff stainless steel microwave oven, a Rangemaster deluxe cooking range with 5 gas rings, a warming plate and electric hob, 2 ovens, a grill and warming drawer, fitted dishwasher, Rangemaster American style fridge freezer with ice machine and cold water dispenser, 2 large drawers under for deep freeze. The main granite work surface has a double ceramic sink unit. Large windows directly overlooking the rear gardens
● The dining area is spacious and can easily take 8-10 chairs if so desired. Once again with large windows giving lots of light and overlooking the front garden and courtyard
● The family room has been fitted with golden oak flooring with large windows and double French doors overlooking the garden and giving access to the sun terrace
● The first floor has several large landing areas, one is presently used as a snug with a television. All bedrooms are doubles, bedroom 1 is very spacious with a large ensuite wet room and dressing area
● There is a large games room with half panelled walls and windows on three sides to the first floor with double doors giving access to a balcony overlooking the front courtyard
● There are wrought iron remote controlled electrically operated gates which open into a large courtyard which may take a number of parked cars, and the access is from a private drive with further guest parking that may be achieved if desired
● The rear garden has been planted with dedicated care and tasteful redesign. There are large well-maintained spacious lawns, sun terraces for summer dining, herbaceous borders, shrubberies all maintained with care, the lower secret garden with further lawns, lots of privacy afforded by high hedges and an entertaining area, with an oak pergola on decking just beside a Master Spa hot tub to one side
● The rear gardens enjoy the south-westerly aspect
Summary of accommodation: Large reception hall, oak staircase leading gracefully to a galleried landing, large cloakroom, sitting room, study, music room, kitchen/dining room, family room, secondary front entrance, large laundry room, large gymnasium. First floor accommodation; 2 large galleried landings, central TV snug area, 6 bedrooms to include bedroom 1 with large ensuite shower room and dressing area, 2 well fitted large family bathrooms, large games room, garden store, gazebo, hot tub.
Note 1. The gymnasium has been converted from the original garage, which can be reinstated if the gymnasium was not required.
Note 2. The property was re-wired and re-plumbed in 2010, when the present owners purchased the property. Plumbing include all the new bathroom fittings, to all bathrooms and cloakroom. Kitchen was totally redesigned and refitted in 2010. The whole of the interior was refurbished to include the introduction of the fine oak panelled doors throughout, oak balustrade to the first floor and galleried landing. Springfields was totally redecorated inside and outside and the property is in splendid order.
Gardens and grounds: Springfields is set amongst exceptional landscaped gardens, redesigned to the present owner`s specifications by Howard Nowell Landscapes. The rear garden has been lavishly planted with large well-maintained spacious lawns, sun terraces for summer dining, herbaceous borders, shrubberies all maintained with care. There is a lower secret garden with further lawns. lots of privacy afforded by high hedges give lots of privacy. There is an oak gazebo on decking just beside a hot tub. This is a Master Spa hot tub which is electrically heated, filtered and was supplied in 2011.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.64 acres / 0.3 hectares (approx.).
Local Facilities: Pangbourne is a wonderful period village with a fine selection of award winning independent shops, a supermarket, health centre, dentists, library, hairdressers, riverside pubs and fine restaurants. Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens is a lovely place for young families with amazing animals, birds, gardens, play parks, a splash pool and miniature train. Basildon Park is a National Trust property featuring a splendid Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
Pangbourne offers superb transport links with a fast train service to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading which will soon offer fast links to the City via Crossrail, as well as buses to all local areas. Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only five minutes driving distance.
Bradfield College has a fabulous sports complex open to public membership, with a fine indoor pool, indoor/outdoor tennis courts, squash, gym and fitness centre. There is a 9-hole golf course at Bradfield College which is open to public membership. The large supermarkets of Waitrose and Sainsburys and Fielders Farm Shop on the Englefield Road, the other side of Tidmarsh, are all within easy driving distance. There are also plenty of facilities for the golfing enthusiast in the area – Streatley Hills, Mapledurham and Calcot to name but a few.
Excellent schools: Springfields is located within easy reach of a number of fine schools, and within walking distance to Pangbourne College. Bradfield College and St Andrew`s Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory School, Downe House, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School. There are bus pick up points in Pangbourne for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon, and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey. Pangbourne Primary School is within walking distance, and has foundation stage 1.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton turn left, pass over the mini roundabout and at St James the Less Church turn immediately right into Pangbourne Hill. Proceed up a short distance looking for a private road on the left, turn left and Springfield will be found immediately on the left.
Post Code: RG8 7AS
Services: All mains including gas.
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band H
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.
- Elegant Victorian country house
- 6 bedrooms
- Games room and gym/double garage
- Exceptional landscaped gardens extending to 0.64 acres
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
- Set on high ground close to the centre of the village
- Beautifully fitted kitchen/dining room
- Ample parking
- Few minutes walk to the village
The Energy-Efficiency Rating is a measure of a home's overall efficiency. The higher the rating, the more energy-efficient the home is, and the lower the fuel bills are likely to be.
The Environmental Impact Rating is a measure of a home's impact on the environment in terms of carbon dioxide (C02) emissions - the higher the rating, the less impact it has on the environment.