- A delightful period cottage
- Sympathetically and meticulously restored and in first class order
- 3 reception rooms all with pretty period features
- Double garage with attached garden sitting room with bi-fold doors to garden
- Recently landscaped gardens
- 5 bedrooms
- Wonderful kitchen/breakfast room
- High specification refitted family and ensuite bathrooms
- Unspoilt views from both front and rear
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
Theale train station 1 mile (journey to Paddington 40 minutes) ● M4 (junc 12) 5 minutes' drive ● Pangbourne 3 miles / 5 minutes' drive ● Reading 5 miles ● Walk to farm shop
2,613 sq ft / 243 m²
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.27 acre / 0.1 hectare
(all measurements are approximate)
A delightful 5 bedroom period cottage, in first class order throughout, set on a peaceful semi-rural residential lane with surrounding farmland mainly owned by Englefield Estate, and open lightly wooded views to the rear over Theale golf course.
Bryar Cottage has a first-class combination of old and new, it is a 16th century Grade II listed cottage, with good ceiling heights throughout. Sympathetically and meticulously restored with the recent addition of a fine double garage which has a garden sitting room to the rear with bi-fold doors giving access to the sun terrace and rear gardens.
North Street is a pretty period hamlet, well away from busy roads, rural by nature with byways and public footpaths giving access to pretty walks, yet easily accessible by road and rail to major centres of commerce.
• The wonderful kitchen/breakfast room has walk-through access at one end to the dining room and to the other, the garden room, with direct access to the rear gardens
• The kitchen is fully fitted, with an Alpha, Aga-style cooking range which also supplies heating and hot water, there is a backup/summer cooking facility with a De Dietrich 5-ring LPG hob, Neff electric fitted oven, Neff fitted microwave, Neff fitted tall fridge and tall freezer, fitted washing machine and dishwasher. The panelled cupboards are in a traditional Shaker style with very pretty Balmoral granite working surfaces and a ceramic butler's sink with antique style taps. There is a super central breakfast bar with seating for 4, and flagstone floor
• One wall to the interior of the kitchen/breakfast room shows one of the finest examples of the original wattle and daub that we have seen of recent years
• Garden sitting room has bi-fold doors giving access to the sun terrace and rear gardens, underfloor heating and a sink unit with hot and cold-water supply
• The ceiling heights throughout are generally high, most unusual for a cottage of this period; quite obviously in the past the ground floors have been lowered
• All three main reception rooms retain very pretty features of the period; ceiling and wall beams, the drawing room has an inglenook fireplace with bread ovens, a large open decorative fireplace with Bessemer beam across, the dining room has a fireplace presently fitted with a wood burning stove
• The garden room has French doors opening onto the rear terrace and has a fitted wine cooler
• The views from the property to both front and rear are unspoilt
• The principal bedroom retains an original oak planked door, with further doors giving access to a large wardrobe and a recently fitted high specification ensuite shower room which has ceramic wood effect tiling to floor and shower area
• The family bathroom has been totally refitted to a very high standard, to include a shower with wood effect ceramic tiling to shower area and floor, and a free-standing bath
• The décor throughout is simple yet elegant
• The plumbing has been thoroughly overhauled to include a stainless steel Sardia Megaflow indirect cylinder which allows plenty of water under pressure throughout the property
• Bedroom 5 enjoys a vaulted ceiling with a pretty Victorian fireplace to one corner, and is currently used as a study
• The gardens are a special feature, recently landscaped, with large lawns, and a patio to the rear and side of the property. The boundary is post and rail and there are herbaceous borders, shrubberies, and a productive raised bed kitchen garden with fruit trees. The rear garden enjoys a sunny aspect
• To one side of the garden is a large garden store/workshop which has electric lighting and power
• Cloakroom/utility room has a fitted tumble dryer
• Garage has two pairs of doors, one remotely controlled, with painted flooring, drainage connection if required to enable the garden sitting room to be used as an annexe
• Ridge to the roof recently rethatched
Summary of accommodation: Kitchen/breakfast room, family room, garden room, dining room, drawing room, cloakroom/utility. Bedroom accommodation on first and second floors; 5 bedrooms, family bathroom, ensuite shower room to principal bedroom.
Detached double garage with garden sitting room. Garden store with water pipe adjacent.
Gardens and grounds: The gardens are a special feature, recently totally landscaped. There are large lawns, a patio to the rear and side of the property, a lovely wisteria covered pergola. The boundary is post and rail, and there are herbaceous borders and shrubberies, and a productive raised bed kitchen garden with fruit trees. To one side of the rear garden is a large garden store/workshop which has electric lighting and power.
The very pretty front garden has a well-maintained lawn, rose bushes and colourful borders.
Double 5 bar gates give access to the parking area in front of the double detached garage.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.27 acre / 0.1 hectare (approx.)
Local facilities: Walking distance to Cobbs Farm shop and café. Close to a tremendous range of shops including a Co-op, and also to a fine old 18th century pub, The Bull in Theale. A mile to the train station which offers fast links to London Paddington in only 40 minutes. There is easy connection to the M4 at Junction 12 enabling access to London and Heathrow. Theale has an excellent medical centre.
There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor and outdoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. A mile away is a large Sainsbury's supermarket, and a new Ikea store, and in Englefield a new Cobbs Farmhouse with butchers, fishmonger, deli and restaurant.
Schools: Theale Primary School which has been rated 'Outstanding' by Ofsted, is close by, as is the sought-after Englefield Primary School. St Andrew's Preparatory School is only a few minutes' drive, as are Pangbourne College, Bradfield College and Brockhurst & Marlston House Schools. There is also The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left, over the mini roundabout and proceed in the direction of the A4. Pass over the M4 and pass the turning on the right signposted to Bradfield & Upper Bucklebury. Take the next turning on your left, which is signposted to North Street. This is a windy lane, after a sharp right-hand bend, you will pass the sign North Street and Bryar Cottage will be found a short distance down on the left-hand side.
Post Code: RG7 5EX
Services: Mains water, electricity and drainage, LPG for hob, oil-fired central heating. Water softener. Gigaclear high speed broadband connected.
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band F
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.