- A luxuriously fitted and elegant Victorian 4 bed house extending to 4,575 sq ft/425 sq m (approx)
- Stunning kitchen/ breakfast room with bi-fold doors and atrium sky lantern
- 3 high specification bathroom/shower ensuites
- Gardens landscaped by a Chelsea Flower show gold medal winning designer
- Walled gardens and grounds giving high security
- Ideal primary residence, as well as a fantastic 'lock up and go'
- Garaging for several cars and a gym with electrically operated entrance gates
- The epitome of innovative design, amalgamating all the best of 21st century technology
- Audio distribution to 7 areas, Rako mood lighting
Pangbourne station 2.3 miles ● Reading 7 miles ● M4 Junction 12: 2.5 miles ● Heathrow 34 miles
(all distances and timings are approximate)
4,575 sq ft / 425 m²
(all measurements are approximate)
A lavish 4 bedroom detached conversion of a substantial Victorian building. This property has a ‘wow' factor impossible to find. Fully enclosed high-walled gardens and grounds making this property very secure, secluded and a private location.
The Courtyard is spacious and light with the large rooms beautifully fitted and elegantly decorated. There is no doubt this would be a magnificent primary residence but, equally as a second home, afforded by the extraordinary security including the electrically operated entrance gates and the high walled gardens, and computerised security system. In addition to the lack of maintenance required, there is an automated garden irrigation system.
Situated on the edge of the famous period village of Pangbourne, this restoration was completed and fitted to the highest standards without thought to cost approximately 7/8 years ago, the property is in beautiful order throughout.
The Courtyard is the epitome of innovative design and amalgamates all that is best of 21st century technology with all the charm of the bygone Victorian era. This is an elegant country home with traditional 8ft high ceilings to the ground floor and vaulted ceilings to the first floor, retaining the exposed beams, ceiling beams and steel work of the original Victorian construction.
The Courtyard is set within the heart of very beautiful countryside and yet is not isolated with other residences forming a small hamlet including a fine old Queen Anne house, a Victorian mill and, just across the lane, the Tidmarsh Stud, all accessed via a no through road which is 0.5 mile long.
• The walled gardens, landscaped by a Chelsea Flower Show Gold Medal winning landscape designer in a Mediterranean style with fountains, well- maintained lawns, fine mature topiary and palms, and a large granite flag stone terrace, accessed from the kitchen and also to the rear for summer entertaining and dining
• There is a wonderful entrance hall with a splendid marble staircase rising gracefully to the galleried landing
• A very large, beautifully fitted kitchen/living room is a House & Gardens dream, with its atrium-style lantern sky light over the far end of the kitchen with superb hardwood bi-fold doors opening onto the granite paved terrace
• Spacious, light, and bright drawing room with open fireplace, double aspect windows and French doors opening onto the terrace
• Super master bedroom suite with its vaulted ceiling, exposed beams and huge Gothic window giving pretty rural views. A large walk-in dressing room, luxury ensuite with walk in shower, twin sinks, and free standing bath
• Many of the features of the original Victorian building have been retained, including the beam work and ironwork to the first floor and vaulted ceilings
• Imposing high bespoke glazed hardwood doors which secure the entrance to the grand reception hall
• Energy efficient property – Band C
• Garaging for several cars, gym, further parking and area of land owned by the property opposite the garage.
• The property is entered through electrically operated wrought iron gates giving access to the garaging for several cars or from a hardwood gate within the wall
• There are computer linked high security, lighting, heating, and media systems
• The extraordinary level of insulation will keep the property cool in summer and warm in winter, even if not attended
The control system for The Courtyard has been created to give superb audio distribution to 7 areas, Rako mood lighting, and integration with the central heating.
At the heart of the system is a Control4 HC-800 controller, which integrates all the separate systems onto a single platform. It is here that the Rako lighting, heating control, audio and video distribution are managed, enabling control through a single device, whether it be a smart phone, tablet or in wall touchscreen.
The audio amplifier features 120W of high-quality sound from 8 analogue input sources in 8 speaker output zones, advanced parametric equalizer capability with the Control4 Equalizer app, which drives professional quality sound, full matrix switching, independent input-gain control and volume-limiting capabilities. The sound is delivered through Bowers & Wilkins custom 300 series speakers. The controller has a built in TuneIn Internet radio, with access to over 70,000 radio stations.
The Rako lighting is a centralised panel mood lighting system and integrated throughout the ground floor, master suite and outside of the property. The lighting has been designed with wireless integration, so if required, it can be expanded relatively easily, adding further control panels or PIR's. Lighting scenes can be set and controlled through smart phone apps either in the property or remotely. In the media closet all the control systems have been centralised in a single rack with adequate space for expansion. A local area network is in place for HD video distribution to all areas of the property. In the kitchen seating area, cabling is ready to install a 5.1 surround sound system. In the dining and drawing rooms in wall touch panels provide control over the entire system.
Summary of accommodation: Reception hall, drawing room, sitting room, utility room, kitchen/dining room, cloakroom, 4 bedrooms, bedroom 1 to include an ensuite bathroom and dressing room, ensuite shower room to bedroom 2 and 3. Gym, garaging for several cars, Further parking with timber retained wall and tree planted flowerbed on an area of land owned by the property opposite the garage entrance (plan available on request)
Gardens: Landscaped by a Chelsea Flower Show Gold Medal winning designer, the Mediterranean style gardens feature fountains, well-maintained lawns, fine mature topiary and palms. A large granite flag stone terrace is accessed from the kitchen and also to the rear for summer entertaining and dining.
Local Facilities: There are delightful walks from the property by way of footpaths and bridleways. Horse riding stables and livery stables a short drive away at Buckhold and Upper Basildon. There is a first-class fitness and tennis centre at Bradfield College which is open to membership with a fine indoor swimming pool, gym, squash courts, indoor and outdoor tennis courts. There are also plenty of facilities for the golfing enthusiast in the area – Streatley Hills, Mapledurham and Calcot to name but a few. Large supermarkets of Waitrose and Sainsbury's within easy driving distance. Pangbourne and Theale have train stations offering fast commuter links to London.
Schools: There are excellent schooling facilities in the area – Pangbourne College is nearby, Bradfield College is within easy access, as is St Andrew's Preparatory School, Moulsford Boys School, Cranford House, Downe House and The Oratory.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left, proceed over the mini roundabout passing The Elephant Hotel. Turn right into Pangbourne Hill, turning second left into Bere Court Road. Proceed as far as you can along Bere Court Road until you reach a crossroads. Proceed straight over the crossroads into Dark Lane. A short distance along on the left-hand side turn left at the sign for Maidenhatch Stud Farm and Maidenhatch Farm. Proceed down this drive, which is a no-through lane, until you reach the end where you will see Tidmarsh Stud on your left and you will pass The Old Dairy House on your right. The entrance to The Courtyard will be found immediately on the right with electric gate giving access to garage and parking.
Post Code: RG8 8HP
Services: Mains electricity, private water supply, septic tank drainage, oil-fired central heating. Full computerised security system with computer linked CCTV system, automated irrigation system for gardens.
EPC Rating: Band C
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
0118 984 2662
Websites: singletonanddaughter.co.uk rightmove.co.uk, mayfairoffice.co.uk, onthemarket.com, countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.