- Detached period house of enormous character
- Valuably unlisted
- Exceptional gardens extending to 0.3 acres
- Ample parking
- Located in a peaceful tree lined road
- 6 Bedrooms
- Original period features throughout Bay windows and Oak panelling
- Single garage with attached garden room
- Walk to Tilehurst train station
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
Reading 3 miles ● Tilehurst station ¼ mile (5 minutes' walk) ● Pangbourne village 3 miles ● M4 (junction 12) 6 miles
3,995 sq ft / 315 m²
Gardens & ground extending to 0.3 acre/0.12 hectare
(all measurements are approximate)
Price Guide £1.15m
A marvellous 6 bedroom detached period house of enormous character and quality, Valuably unlisted.
Constructed by the owner's grandfather 100 years ago in 1919, in the Arts and Crafts period which is noted for its high standards of building and outstanding architectural designs. This was a revolutionary period not only in architecture but in design in general including textiles, ceramics and art.
The Gables is situated in one of the most important and peaceful tree-lined roads within Tilehurst, noted for its outstanding residential properties.
This is an exceptional family house in many ways, set in large gardens extending to 0.3 acres, which have been tended and cared for with love over many years. Not only is the design of the outside a delight to behold, also the interior with its imposing entrance porch and original entrance door with stained glass and leaded light panel – so typical of the period.
The reception hall sets the tone of the whole building, with its high ceiling, decorative beam work, large open fireplace, all original to the period. This area is also panelled with a graceful staircase leading to the first floor which has a large landing and a similar staircase rising to the second floor.
There are some fine views from the first and second floor rear bedrooms over the rear gardens and undulating woodland with some splendid views to the south across the valley in which the Thames lies, with wooded hill rising in the distance to the north. To the south west you can see the Arthur Newbery Park rising in the distance.
The property has been maintained in good order through its life, but will benefit from some modernisation. It is within walking distance of Tilehurst train station offering fast commuter links to London Paddington and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving easy access to The City), and a short distance to both Waitrose and the shopping centres of Tilehurst
The 3 main double bedrooms to the first floor enjoy very high ceilings, as does much of the property, approximately 10-foot-high with oak beams. There is plenty of room in all three of these bedrooms to convert the large walk in wardrobes with their pretty eyebrow leaded light windows, to perhaps ensuite shower rooms.
On the second floor, there are 3 further double bedrooms and there is a large walk-in cupboard currently housing water tanks with a pretty leaded light oval window, which might be converted to a further family bathroom (see note).
● A fine staircase rising to the first and second floors with oak balustrade
● Very pretty bay windows to the main reception rooms and the two main first floor bedrooms
● The reception hall has a flagstone floor with carved motifs understood to have been removed from an ancient abbey at the time of construction
● There is plenty of room for extension of the kitchen across the side entrance, maybe also including the garage and garden room
● The sitting room is oak panelled with a fine original open fireplace and double doors with coloured leaded light panels giving access to the front lobby
● Original pantry with shelving and quarry tiled flooring
● Some wonderful original oak panelled doors to the ground floor
● The garden room could make an excellent study
● Outside lavatory attached to the garage beside the garden room
● Lots of parking to the front for cars
Summary of accommodation: Covered entrance porch, large reception hall, sitting room, drawing room, lobby, dining room, kitchen, utility room, pantry, ground floor bathroom/cloakroom
First floor & second floor; 6 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms, 1 with separate cloakroom
Single garage with at one end a garden room and lavatory. Greenhouse, summer house, access to the front and rear gardens on both sides of the property
Gardens and grounds: Well-maintained gardens with lawns, herbaceous borders, flower beds to front and rear with a very pretty Dovecote. Greenhouse and summer house.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.3 acre / 0.12 hectare (approx.).
If a pressurised water system with megaflow were introduced there would be no need for the water tanks on the second floor, and they could be removed and a bathroom created.
Local facilities: A ½ mile from Tilehurst train station, giving fast connections to London Paddington, Reading and Oxford. Crossrail coming to Reading Station giving easy access to the City. There is an excellent Waitrose just along the road and Pangbourne has a wonderful village centre with shops, a health centre, dentists, hairdressers, excellent restaurants and riverside pubs.
Reading town centre is approximately 3 miles away and there is a regular bus service along the Oxford to Reading road, the M4 Junction 12 at Theale is approximately 6 miles.
Schools: There are excellent schooling facilities in the area to include; Ofsted rated Purley Primary C of E School, Denefield secondary school, Little Heath secondary school. Pangbourne College, Bradfield College and St Andrew's Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory School, The Abbey which is a highly regarded girls school with a bus pick up at the bottom of the road, Cranford House, Queen Anne's, Moulsford Preparatory School, Reading School (Boys) and Kendrick school (Girls).
Route with narrow regulated vehicle access: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left and at the mini roundabout turn left again. Proceed out of the village and pass through Purley, pass the Roebuck and opposite some new terrace houses turn right with a regulated access into Elsley Road. Drive up the steep hill and you will find Clevedon Road on your left, turn in here and The Gables will be found on the right.
Route without the narrow regulated vehicle access: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left and at the mini roundabout turn left again. Proceed out of the village and pass through Purley, pass the Roebuck, some new terrace houses, pass a Peugeot garage on the left, and carry on to the roundabout, take the 3rd exit into Overdown Road, 2nd right into Carlisle Road, first left into Clevedon Road and continue almost to the end, and The Gables will be found on the left.
Post Code: RG31 6RL
Services: All mains; electricity, gas, water, drainage, security system.
EPC Rating: F
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: Reading Borough Council, Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.