- 5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms
- Walk to village tennis courts and childrens play area/ recreation ground
- Fantastic kitchen/living room overlooking pretty rear gardens
- Modern garden office with power, heating, lighting, gigaclear
- Modern garden studio with power and lighting
- Sought after location
- Garage with lots of off road parking
- Pangbourne Office 0118 984 2662
Pangbourne shops & train station 3 miles ● Reading 10 miles ● Newbury 12 miles ● M4 (Junction 12) 5 miles (all distances are approximate)
3,494 sq ft / 325 m² (all measurements are approximate)
A very pretty 5 bedroom, 5 bathroom, detached character house, which is a spacious family property.
Duck Pond Cottage is a very special, imaginative, and exclusive design creating a wonderful space for all the family, as well as for entertaining. Set well back from the lane and situated in one of the most important and exclusive of the residential roads within the heart of this pretty period village.
The property was constructed in a traditional manner with the introduction of red clay tiling for the roof and knapped flint and red brick to both front and rear, and has recently undergone a complete extension and refit.
Accessed by a wide driveway, with gated entrance and true to its name, has a small pond with lawns, plenty of car parking, and access to a single garage.
* The kitchen/living room is a fantastic feature. With triple aspect windows, including French doors opening onto gardens on each side, a dining area which will easily accommodate an 8-seater dining table, a modern wood burning stove, and lovely views over the pretty rear gardens
* The kitchen has a comprehensive selection of high and low level cupboards and drawers, wide work surfaces, dishwasher, Zanussi microwave/cooker and Zanussi oven, 4 ring electric hob, extractor, large panty unit, pot and cutlery drawers. All the main kitchen units create a working kitchen/bar unit which directly overlooks the living area and the gardens
* Entire ground floor reception area, kitchen/living/dining room and sitting room has ceramic limestone flagged flooring, with the kitchen/living room having wet underfloor heating & a Scandi multi burner
* Sitting room has a Winston tone surround fireplace with an inset wood burning stove and French doors opening onto the sun terrace
* Very large principle double bedroom on the first floor, with French doors opening to a Juliet balcony overlooking the rear gardens, and walk-through access to dressing room/area and bathroom with shower
* Potential to create a self contained annexe if required.
* Very pretty and well-stocked rear gardens with spacious raised sun terrace the width of the property, large lawn, and high hedges giving total seclusion
* Detached modern garden office, highly insulated with electric heating, power, lighting and gigaclear connection. French doors open onto stone terrace
* Modern recently constructed garden building, currently a studio, highly insulated, with power and lighting
* Central reception hall is spacious with corridor leading to two double bedrooms, one of these was originally used as two bedrooms and is now a single unit
Summary of accommodation:
Main house: Entrance lobby area with boot cupboard, stable door giving access to reception hall, cloakroom, cloaks cupboard, kitchen/living room with dining area, sitting room, utility room, 4 bedrooms, 4 bath/shower rooms, to include 3 ensuites.
Annexe potential - ancillary Kitchen/living room, bedroom, ensuite shower room. Access from main house if required.
Attached single garage, garden office, garden studio, brick built, knapped flint garden store.
Gardens: The front garden has a small pond with lawn, dwarf lavender hedges, shrubs and a pretty magnolia to one side.
Rear garden with raised sun terrace running the width of the property, large lawns, pond, flower beds, vegetable garden, espalier fruit trees, and high hedges giving total seclusion. Log store, brick garden store, and small lean-to greenhouse. Outside power and water points.
Local Facilities Upper Basildon is a much sought-after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village Market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has playing fields, a football club, and an excellent tennis club. The Red Lion is a popular pub serving local ales and food. Various clubs and activities use the church centre and or the main church.
For the equestrian enthusiast there are many bridle paths surrounding the village. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes' drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including a butcher, cheese shop, organic farm shop, supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 45 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City). Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only 6 miles drive giving easy access to airports.
Schools: There are plenty of schools in the area; Upper Basildon Primary School and St Andrew's Preparatory School is only a few minutes' drive, as are Pangbourne College and Bradfield College. There is also The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton turn left, pass over the mini roundabout and take first right up Pangbourne Hill. Turn right at the signpost for Upper Basildon. Pass the Red Lion pub, pass over the next cross roads, pass Emery's Acre on your right and the next road on your right is Bethesda Street. Turn right into this road and follow it all the way until you see the Village Hall, paying fields, tennis court on your left, and Duck Pond Cottage is on your right.
Post Code: RG8 8NT
Services: Mains electricity, water and drainage, oil fired central heating. Underfloor heating in kitchen/living/dining room. Gigaclear super-fast broadband connected.
EPC Rating: D
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.