- Spacious 5 bedroom detached period property
- Recent extensive refurbishment and modernisation programme
- The village bakery at the turn of the century
- Previously home to the British artist Gilbert Spencer
- All bedrooms are doubles
- Versatile garden office/studio with power, lighting, water, & broadband
- Set in large gardens extending to 0.77 acre
- Walking distance to village primary and pub
Pangbourne shops & train station 3 miles ● Reading 10 miles ● Newbury 12 miles ● M4 (Junction 12) 7 miles (all distances are approximate)
2,573 sq ft / 239 m²
Gardens & Grounds extending to: 0.77 acre / 0.31 hectare
(all measurements are approximate)
A splendid 5 bedroom detached period cottage, set in large gardens with tree-lined boundaries. Situated on probably one of the most sought-after peaceful lanes in this delightful semi-rural village.
At the turn of the century, Tree Cottage was the village bakery, hence the large and imposing Bakers' oven in the sitting room. The property is Grade II listed, and thought to have been constructed in 1680 with substantial recent additions. A thorough refurbishment, modernisation, and extension programme has been undertaken to create a spacious property with excellent ceiling heights, unusual for a cottage of this period.
Upper Basildon is an excellent location for families with children of all ages. There is a very active community, and the village hall hosts many events throughout the year. The Red Lion village pub is within easy walking distance.
Surrounded by countryside known for its outstanding beauty with easy access to footpaths giving lovely walks through unspoilt countryside, and just a few minutes easy drive to Pangbourne village, with its extensive range of specialist shops, riverside pubs and restaurants, amenities and railway station giving fast commuter links to Oxford, Reading, the Elizabeth Line, and direct services to Paddington.
• The hub of the house is a wonderful large kitchen/dining/living room. Large windows give double aspect views over the gardens, French doors to the large sandstone flagged terrace, highly polished golden oak flooring with underfloor heating
• Kitchen is comprehensively fitted, with a preparation island with quartz working surface, composite sink, and Bosch dishwasher. Twin Zanussi electric ovens, 4 ring induction hob, free standing American style fridge freezer with ice/filter water dispenser, pull-out pantry unit and pantry between the study and sitting room
• Sitting room is very pretty, part beamed with oak flooring, ornate period style radiators, large Inglenook fireplace fitted with dual-fuel burning stove, showing the original bread oven. A further alcove is the original access for the baker to feed his bread into the ovens
• Study has original terracotta flooring, an open fireplace fitted with wood burning stove
• Utility room with plumbing for washing machine and tumble dryer, and plumbing for a sink if required
• Versatile garden office formerly used as Gilbert Spencer's artists studio, and currently used as a treatment room. With large double aspect windows, power, water, lighting, and broadband connection
• Landing has golden oak flooring and fitted wardrobe. Part of the history of the building is shown in a glazed alcove. This window was part of the front of the building, and now houses shelves with memorabilia of previous occupants long gone
• Principal bedroom has pretty double-aspect views over the gardens to the property, with luxurious ensuite shower room with stone basin and dressing area with large wardrobe and drawers under
• All the bedrooms are doubles
• Family bathroom is well-appointed with large shower cubicle, period style oval bath on claw feet with standpipe mixer taps, carved stone basin
Summary of accommodation: Reception hall, sitting room, cloakroom, kitchen/dining/living room, study, utility, pantry, 5 bedrooms, family bathroom, ensuite and dressing area to bedroom 1.
Gardens: Mainly laid to lawn with spacious stone terrace to the rear. Versatile garden office building/studio with power, water, and broadband connection. Log store, boiler cupboard and 2 sheds.
Parking for a number of cars, with further parking to the left-hand side, entered by way of a pair of 5 bar gates.
Plenty of room for a double garage if required. There is a lapsed listed planning consent for a double garage from the previous owners.
Gardens & Grounds extending to: 0.77 acre / 0.31 hectare
Details of some of the extensive works completed by the current vendors:
Stripped the previous plastic/waterproof brick paint (using a high temperature/low pressure gun system 'Doff', by professionals as recommended by English Heritage) then repainted
Using Water permeable 'Keim' Paint (German high-quality paint for period homes to allow bricks to breathe)
Removed an inch of ALL concrete mortar from between bricks and refilled with a Lime based mortar to allow the house to breathe
Installed a French gutter along the perimeter of the old house
Restored the main Inglenook fireplace
Additional outer skin to flue to protect the inglenook beam from high temperatures
Installed Stovax dual fuel 7.5/13KW Stove/burner
Replaced flooring in all but study/new open plan downstairs
Filled all cavities with organic lamb's wool insulation (upstairs and down) reducing noise and increasing heating efficiency
Replaced all wiring junction boxes and majority of wiring runs
Removed all microbore/copper-flex plumbing/piping in the house and replace with modern electrics, several full flushes of the systems during this process
Replaced the hot water cylinder in the family bathroom with a high capacity one and added a water pump to increase the water pressure
Removed the old internal oil burner and replace with brand new high performance outside unit
Replaced (all) 5 front windows and stable door (Obtained the required listed buildings permission) with high quality Redwood windows/doors, double glazed and new high security/ insulated front door
Local Facilities Upper Basildon is a sought-after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village Market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has playing fields, a football club, and an excellent tennis club. The Red Lion is a popular pub serving local ales and food. Various clubs and activities use the village and/or the church centre.
For the equestrian enthusiast there are many bridle paths surrounding the village. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes' drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including a butcher, cheese shop, organic farm shop, delicatessen, supermarket, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs, and restaurants. There are also two very popular farm shops nearby at Vicars/Casey Fields Farm Shop at Ashampstead and Cobbs farm shop and café at Englefield.
Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (40 mins), Oxford and Reading (Elizabeth Line).
Schools: There are plenty of schools in the area; Upper Basildon Primary School is within walking distance, and St Andrew's Preparatory School is only a few minutes' drive, as are Pangbourne College and Bradfield College. There is also The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton and Daughter, turn left, pass over the mini roundabout, and take first right up Pangbourne Hill. Turn right at the signpost for Upper Basildon. Pass the Red Lion pub, pass over the next cross roads, pass Emery's Acre on your right and the next road on your right is Bethesda Street. Turn right into this road and a short distance along on the left is Tree Cottage.
Post Code: RG8 8NU
Services: Mains water, drainage, electricity, oil fired central heating. High speed Gigaclear broadband connected. Alarm. Hive heating and hot water control. Water softener. EV charging point.
EPC Rating: n/a
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
0118 984 2662
Websites: singletonanddaughter.co.uk rightmove.co.uk, mayfairoffice.co.uk, onthemarket.com, countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors.
(i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.