- Valuably unlisted
- Fantastic potential for increasing the present accommodation
- Stunning gardens, facing due south, with privacy & seclusion
- Light & bright with high ceilings throughout
- Spectacular drawing room with vaulted ceiling & large windows
- Beautiful walks nearby
- Walk to local pub
- Pangbourne Office 0118 984 2662
Pangbourne 1 mile ● Reading 6 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 3 miles ● Heathrow 45 mins drive ● Englefield primary school 4 minutes' drive (all distances/timings approximate)
4,208 sq ft / 391 m²
Gardens and grounds; 0.43 acre / 0.17 hectare
(all measurements are approximate)
A delightful unique and secluded 4/5 bedroom period country house of immense charm and character. Valuably unlisted.
Constructed of mellow red brick and knapped flint, under a clay tiled roof, today's country house created many years ago as a conversion of an ancient 18th century barn.
The Tithe Barn is set amongst very beautiful landscaped gardens, of recent times the subject of a feature in Homes and Gardens magazine. The property is entered from a private drive and is accessed through large elegant entrance gates leading to a large forecourt area with parking for numbers of vehicles. At the end of the lane there is a footpath winding its way through very beautiful, unspoilt countryside leading to the unspoilt Moor Copse wildlife and nature reserve which is a wonderful area to walk (BBOWT).
The house is light and bright with large windows and high ceilings throughout. The north wing which was at one time the coach house and stables, has both ground and first floor accommodation, presently used as a Pilates studio and craft studio. This large two storey area with the first floor enjoying dorma windows giving pretty rural views offers the purchaser a fantastic opportunity for mainly internal conversion to further increase the accommodation or perhaps create a large self-contained annexe or studio.
The property to the front overlooks the very beautiful 12th century church of St Lawrence which is Grade I listed. The walled gardens are a very special feature. Part formal parterre, and informal with large sweeping lawns. To the front of the property to one side is a raised vegetable bed, car parking for a number of cars with easy access to the integral garages of the property.
This is both a comfortable and elegant family residence within walking distance of Pangbourne village (approx. 1 mile) with its marvellous collection of shops, health centre, bus services and a station giving fast links to London Paddington. The property is also within easy driving of the M4 junction 12.
* The elegant décor throughout
* Large kitchen/dining room with French doors to a very pretty conservatory
* Fully fitted kitchen, with a comprehensive range of Beech Shaker style cupboards and drawers, with polished granite worksurfaces, fitted 4 ring Neff hob, Neff oven and extractor, dishwasher, very beautiful American black walnut flooring throughout
* A spectacular drawing room with its high vaulted ceiling and large windows, the width of the room, directly overlooking the rear gardens, with French doors giving access
* The fantastic potential for increasing the present accommodation if so desired; large loft space above bedroom 1 which could be the subject of conversion. Ground and first floor in the north wing could become further bedroom accommodation, sitting room, offices or an annexe. The conversion of these rooms would need building regulations
* Drawing room with vaulted ceiling, original beams, a pretty open log fire with old oak beam across
* Large reception hall with vaulted ceiling and oak panelled entrance door
* Rear gardens face due south with high red brick walls giving seclusion and privacy
* Easy walking distance to the village pub The Greyhound
Summary of accommodation: Main house; reception hall, cloakroom, drawing room, kitchen/dining room, conservatory, 5 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms.
North wing/old coach house and stables; large ground floor room, first floor with large area (presently a Pilates studio), 2 further rooms, one used as a hobby room/study, the other for storage, pair of integral garages.
Gardens: Wide entrance drive flanked by dwarf box hedging, lawns, raised bed vegetable garden, parking for at least 6 cars. Rear garden is a delight in all seasons, walled with espalier fruit trees and mistletoe, parterre gardens, informal gardens, large lawns, stone laid patio for summer dining.
Gardens and grounds extending to approximately half an acre (0.43 acre)
Local facilities: Tidmarsh has a nice village pub; The Greyhound, an ancient church, playing fields, numerous wonderful countryside walks and bridlepaths. Nearby Englefield has a lovely village garden centre incorporating a village store and café, and Cobbs Farm Shop with butchers, greengrocers, deli, and cafe/restaurant.
Nearby Pangbourne offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including a butcher, bakery, cheese shop, organic shop, a small supermarket, library, doctors, dentists, hairdressers, riverside pubs and restaurants. The station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 47 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City).
Schools: The Tithe Barn is within easy reach of a number of fine schools including the highly sought-after Englefield Primary School. Within easy driving distance are; St Andrew's Preparatory School, Pangbourne College, Bradfield College, Brockhurst & Marlston House Schools, The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, and Downe House. There are bus pick up points in Pangbourne for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon.
Note : Double garage of The Tithe Barn is attached to a small cottage in separate ownership with separate entrance.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left passing The Elephant hotel, proceed into Tidmarsh, pass The Greyhound pub, carry on until the church is on your left, turning into the small lane and Tithe Barn is the first drive in your right.
Post Code: RG8 8ER
Services: Mains electricity and water, modern septic tank drainage, oil fired central heating to the main house, propane central heating to the north wing.
EPC Rating: G
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band, G
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale. 2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them: 3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor. 4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn. FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.