- 6 bedrooms and three bathrooms/ shower rooms
- Large kitchen/ breakfast room
- Large a very beautiful gardens
- Light & bright
- Good school catchment area
- Peaceful location at the end of an exclusive no through close
- Double garage
- Air conditioning to 1st floor
- Easy access to the M4 and Heathrow
- Tel 0118 9842662
M4 (junction 12) 1.5 miles ● Theale 3 miles ● Reading train station 3 miles ● Pangbourne 4 miles ● Heathrow 45 minutes' drive (all distances/timings approximate)
3,114 sq ft / 289 m²
Gardens: 0.26 acre (all measurements are approximate)
A fabulous detached 6 bedroom character country house, occupying an exclusive corner position at the far end of a private close.
Holly Cottage is one of only 8 individually designed detached houses within what was the old orchard once belonging to the fine Georgian Grange which lies adjacent.
Constructed in 1993 to very high specifications by Monwood Fine Homes in a period style with the use of old stock brick, decorative pantiling to first floor elevations and leaded light windows. The property has only had two owners from new.
The property gleams and shines and is very light with lots of windows. The first and second floor bedrooms have air conditioning fitted, and the property has been scrupulously maintained and constantly improved over the period of the owners' occupation.
This is a very convenient place to live, yet you are tucked away from the hurley-burley of busy roads in a peaceful and secluded spot, you could quite easily be in the heart of the Berkshire countryside, a splendid family house.
• Wilkinson super luxury kitchen, with breakfast area within a bay to one side, fitted top quality units, fitted television, electric double ovens by Miele, build-in refrigerator, sliding and carousel pot drawers and larder units, waste tidy, Miele dishwasher, 5-ring Falcon cooking range with triple oven, granite splash back, canopied extractor over, granite work surfaces throughout, lots of cupboards and drawers, high level glazed china cupboards, double ceramic undermounted sink, a super luxury pantry unit with oak shelves and two drawers, inset oak trays and a tiny key drawer. The kitchen flooring is honed and flagged limestone
• The drawing room enjoys a double aspect with bay windows, fireplace is in carved limestone with a polished black granite hearth, presently fitted with a wood-burning stove. There are double French doors leading out onto an attractive stone paved patio for summer dining
• Pretty views across the rooftops to the Georgian period listed Grange and the period outbuildings that once belonged to it
• Another feature, unusual for the UK, the first floor and the second floor have been fitted with Daikin top of the range air conditioning units which also give hot air central heating as an alternative to the very efficient heating system if required
• This is an elegantly proportioned house with a large and imposing hallway and staircase rising to a galleried landing and continuing to the second floor
• On the second floor, there is a large bedroom with a separate sitting room which has previously been used as an office
• A number of the radiators throughout the property are of a modern design manufactured by Coleido and Myson which are good to look at and hugely efficient
• Cloakroom, family bathroom and guest bathroom have been refitted to a high standard of recent times
• The laundry room has been fitted in a similar standard to the kitchen with Mark Wilkinson units, granite work surfaces and sink, with plumbing for washing machine, oak lined cupboards, and a fitted Miele deep freeze. The honed and polished limestone floor continues from the kitchen/breakfast room. A door leads out onto a pretty terrace with espalier fruit tree and climbing rose
• The gardens are another fantastic feature of this property, maintained by the present owners with dedication and care. Both the front and rear gardens are very private, secluded and peaceful
• In the rear there are well-maintained lawns, stone laid terraces, lots of fruits trees, and a substantial oak door gives access from the front to the rear gardens on both sides of the property. A newly constructed garden store will be erected and included in the sale
• The front garden is mainly laid to lawn with fruit trees, high beech hedging, parking for a number of cars with the entrance secured by a 5-bar gate and a secondary pedestrian gate
• The study/play room has recently had a high-quality oak unit fitted with glass ornament shelves, range of cupboards under and space with wiring for a television
• There are fitted cupboards, a number of which have been introduced to the bedrooms recently, to include extensive fitted wardrobes to the principal bedroom, and dressing area, the guest bedroom and dressing area and bedroom 3. Bedroom 2 has a fitted desk unit with cupboards and drawers and matching shelves
• Oak planked flooring to reception hall and dining room
• Double integral garage with remote controlled double doors give access, power and water, garage floor has been painted. There is a covered pedestrian access from the kitchen
Summary of accommodation: Large reception hall with oak entrance door, drawing room, study/play room, dining room, kitchen/breakfast room, laundry room, cloakroom, 6 bedrooms to include; 2nd floor bedroom & sitting room, principal bedroom with ensuite shower room and dressing area, family bathroom with walk-in shower, guest bedroom with dressing area and ensuite bathroom. Double integral garage.
Gardens: The gardens are a wonderful feature of this property, maintained with dedication and care. Both the front and rear gardens are very private, secluded and peaceful.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.26 acre (approx).
Local Facilities: Holly Cottage is within easy walking distance to a number 26 bus service into central Reading, and just a few minutes' drive from the large Sainsbury's supermarket, Boots pharmacy, Starbucks and the new Ikea store at Calcot.
Transport links are plentiful, with both Theale and Pangbourne giving fast train services to London Paddington, and Reading station just a couple of miles away, with the Elizabeth Line due in a giving fast links to the City.
Very beautiful walks are to be found nearby which pass the ancient Calcot Mill crossing the Holy Brook which flows from the River Kennet at a junction known as Arrowhead and onwards towards Reading Abbey. The footpath continues and leads to the Linear Park with water meadows, a children's play area, wonderful for dog walking or just an evening stroll, eventually the footpath joins the tow path beside the Kennet and Avon canal.
The countryside between Calcot and Newbury has long been known of outstanding rural beauty with the River Thames running through the pretty riverside village of Pangbourne, which is only a few miles by car, with its many shops, excellent pubs and restaurants. There is a Cobbs farm shop at Englefield which offers a butcher, groceries, fishmonger, deli and a café.
Schools: Good schools abound within the area; Leighton Park, Queen Anne's at Caversham, The Abbey School, Kendrick School – grammar school for girls, Reading Boys - grammar school for boys, Pangbourne College, Bradfield College, Downe House, The Oratory, St Andrew's Preparatory School, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School, all within reasonable driving distance and some of the schools have a bus pick up service.
Directions: From junction 12 of the M4, proceed along the A4 in the direction of Reading. Proceed over two roundabouts and through a set of traffic lights. At the next set of traffic lights, adjacent to Calcot Golf Course, turn right. Take the first right into The Chase and immediately first left into Mill Lane. Proceed down the lane and turn right into The Old Orchard. Holly Cottage will be found towards the end of the close, it is the 4th house at the end of the close.
Post Code: RG31 7RF
Services: Mains electricity, gas, water, drainage. Water softener, security system.
High speed broadband available.
EPC Rating: C
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale. All others, such as fitted carpets, curtains, light fittings, garden ornaments etc., are specifically excluded but may be made available by separate negotiation.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.