- Stunning period cottage
- 2 bathrooms/ shower and downstairs cloakroom
- Excellent ceiling heights
- Level and easy walk to shops, train station and amenities
- Good quality fitted kitchen/ breakfast room
- 2 double bedrooms
- Beautiful order throughout
- 2 good sized reception rooms
- Walled sunny aspect garden
- Pangbourne 0118 9842662
Pangbourne centre & railway station 10 minutes' walk (fast trains to London Paddington 47 minutes) ● Easy access Reading (6 miles) & Oxford by rail & road ● M4 (junc 12) 6 miles ● Heathrow 45 minutes by car (all distances approximate)
1,263 sq ft / 117 m²
(all measurements are approximate)
A very pretty attached 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom period cottage, with delightful walled gardens, off-road parking and a garage, set within the heart of this sought after period riverside village. Beautifully fitted and maintained.
Generally regarded to be the oldest property in the village, Swanston Cottage dates back from the mid-16th century, is listed Grade II, and has been sympathetically restored and tastefully refurbished.
2 Swanston Cottages was originally created from one end of a medieval hall house and is historically noted for its cruck frame construction. The property was extended in the early 19th century and again in 1906, when the acclaimed architect Frank Loughborough Pearson (designed Truro cathedral), renovated the cottage.
Within easy walking distance of the two village pubs, a highly regarded primary school, church, River Thames and just across the bridge, Pangbourne village with its excellent specialist shops and health centre, and train station with fast commuter links to London Paddington. Whitchurch On Thames is set in a conservation area has a thriving community spirit.
* Kitchen has windows overlooking the pretty rear gardens. An extensive range of cupboard and drawers, fitted washing machine, fitted Neff dishwasher, recently introduced Everhot cooking range in an Aga style with double oven, simmer and hot plates, hob with stainless steel cover, electric cooking range, with on/off timer, but with the advantage, especially in winter, of ambient heat, Bosch extractor above, windows overlooking the garden, lime flagstone flooring
* Engineered polished oak flooring which runs through the sitting room through to the breakfast area beside the kitchen
* Sitting room recently fitted with wood burning stove and slate hearth
* Beamed ceilings with original cruck frame showing internally
* High ceilings throughout, which is unusual for the period
* Dry cellar with ancient barrelled ceiling, power and light
* Present owner, with permission from the listed buildings officer created a walk-through access from the sitting room to the breakfast area with French Doors with windows each side, allows lots of light into the sitting room and creates a very pleasant breakfast area with door to a walk-in pantry
* Pretty walled garden to rear has a brick laid terrace for summer dining, steps up to a pretty lawned area flanked by flower beds and vines, also a secured door to the side entrance leading from the front garden and road
* In the corner of the garden there is a gate giving access to the property's garage and single parking space
* Snug/TV room has a fireplace (not currently used), pretty windows overlooking the front gardens
* Property as a whole has received many improvements by the present owners, to include a second bathroom to first floor, ground floor cloakroom and a gas fired boiler 3 years ago
* Study area with floor hatch to staircase leading down to the dry cellar
* Principal bedroom has windows overlooking the rear gardens, a well fitted ensuite shower room and a range of built-in wardrobes
* Bedroom 2 has a spacious bathroom with bath, windows overlooking the front gardens and a range of built-in wardrobes
* Majority of the doors have been replaced in oak
Summary of accommodation: Entrance hall, cloakroom, snug/TV room, study, cellar, sitting room, kitchen, breakfast area, walk-in pantry, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms. Single garage.
Gardens: Pretty walled rear garden, with a brick laid terrace, lawned area with flower beds and vines, a secured door to the garage area, and also a secured side entrance leading to the walled front garden and road.
Local Facilities: Swanston Cottages is within easy walking distance of Pangbourne village centre with its fine selection of award-winning independent shops, a supermarket, health centre, dentists, library, hairdressers, restaurants and riverside pubs. The River Thames runs between the villages and there are riverside meadows, part-owned by the National Trust, the Thames Path, a children's play area, tennis courts, football pitches, a bowling club and Pangbourne Adventure Dolphin centre offering canoeing and climbing instruction. Whitchurch-on-Thames also has two fine character pubs in The Greyhound and Ferryboat, both serving food. Just a few minutes' walk from the cottage is beautiful open countryside with many scenic footpaths and bridle paths.
Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens is a couple of miles up the road and is a lovely place for young families with amazing animals, birds, gardens, play parks, a splash pool and miniature train. Near to Beale Park is Basildon Park, the National Trust property, featuring a splendid Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
Pangbourne offers superb transport links with a fast train service to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading which will benefit from the upcoming Crossrail, offering fast links to the City, as well as buses to all local areas. Waitrose can be found at both Tilehurst (approx. 4 miles) and Wallingford.
Schools: Whitchurch-on-Thames is located within easy reach of a number of independent schools; Pangbourne College, Bradfield College and St Andrew's Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory, Downe House, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School. The property is in the catchment area of Langtree Secondary School at Woodcote, and Whitchurch Primary School itself has an outstanding record.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton turn left and left again at the mini roundabout. At the next mini roundabout turn left at The George Hotel, cross over the River Thames toll bridge and enter the village of Whitchurch. Continue along the High Street, past the Greyhound Inn on your right, Manor Road on your left (where you should park for viewings) and Swanston Cottages will be found on the right.
Post Code: RG8 7ES
Services: Mains electricity, water, drainage, gas.
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: South Oxfordshire, Band E
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.