- 4 bedroom period semi-detached cottage
- Large sitting room with wood burning stove
- Modern en suite and family bathroom upstairs
- Detached garage and ample parking
- Recently extended, refurbished and modernised
- Family room/ occasional bedroom
- Large front garden and South facing rear gardens
- Pangbourne office 0118 9842662
1,915 sq ft / 178 m²
Gardens extending to 0.26 acre / 0.1 hectare (all measurements are approximate)
An attractive 4 bedroom character semi-detached cottage constructed in 1926 for the Bowden Estate. Recently refurbished and modernised, together with a first-floor extension to the rear.
The property offers spacious light family accommodation with high ceilings and large gardens to both front and rear. The front garden enjoys a depth of 93', the south-facing rear garden depth is 60' with both gardens 47' in width, all measurements are approximate. In all the property sits in ¼ acre (approx.).
The cottage is set well back from the road with parking for a number of cars and easy access to the detached single garage with workshop to the rear.
• The pretty views over fields to the rear
• The large south facing rear garden with sleeper decked BBQ area, lots of fruit trees and well-maintained lawns, secured by high fencing and hedges on all boundaries
• The front gardens with wide long gravelled drive for vehicular and pedestrian access, well-maintained lawns shrubberies and flower beds
• Modern fitted kitchen with Lamona stainless steel and glass fitted range unit with 5 ring LPG gas hob unit and double oven with grill under, stainless steel extractor over, lots of cupboards and drawers and wide working surfaces, circular sink and drainer
• Large utility/bathroom with shower, which creates a downstairs residential option should the family room be used as a ground floor bedroom
• Double aspect sitting room and original open fireplace fitted with wood burning stove, bi-fold doors opening onto the rear gardens
• Recently fitted oak doors from the reception hall to the family room and sitting rooms, with a pair of glazed doors opening into the dining room which also has splendid views over the gardens
• Amtico flooring to sitting room, hallway and dining room
• Pretty original pine panelled doors to all rooms on the first floor
• Large bedroom 1 with dressing area and recently fitted ensuite shower room
• Modern family bathroom to the first floor
• Replacement primary double-glazed windows
• Timber garden store and modern replaced plastic oil tank
• Oil fired boiler supplying central heating and hot water, refitted approximately 5 years ago
Summary of accommodation: Entrance hall, sitting room, open plan to dining area, kitchen, utility room/bathroom, family room.
First floor; 4 bedrooms; to include 3 doubles (bedroom 2 with feature 'vaulted' ceiling) and a single, family bathroom and ensuite to bedroom 1.
Gardens: South-facing rear garden with views over fields, sleeper decked BBQ area, fruit trees and well-maintained lawns, garden store, high fencing and hedges on all boundaries. Views to woodland to the front, single detached timber garage with workshop area to rear, wide long gravelled driveway, well-maintained lawns shrubberies and flower beds.
Gardens extending to 0.26 acre / 0.1 hectare approximately.
Local facilities: Upper Basildon is a much sought-after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village Market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has a football club and an excellent tennis club. The Red Lion is a popular pub serving local ales and food. Various clubs and activities use the church centre and or the main church.
For the equestrian enthusiast there are many bridle paths surrounding the village. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes' drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including a butcher, cheese shop, organic farm shop, supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 45 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City). Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only 5 miles, giving easy access to Heathrow.
Schools: There are plenty of schools in the area; Upper Basildon Primary School and St Andrew's Preparatory School is only a few minutes' drive, as are Pangbourne College and Bradfield College. There is also Brockhurst & Marlston House Preparatory School, Elstree Preparatory School, The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton turn left and proceed over the mini roundabout. Turn first right at St James the Less Church and proceed up Pangbourne Hill. Just after you pass the entrance to Pangbourne College, turn right signposted to Upper Basildon. Proceed along the road until you see a 30mph restriction sign, and a white boundary gate, turn immediately left into the driveway of 1 Little Bowden Cottages. Walk immediately down the side of the house, this is the rear entrance, more generally used by the family.
Post Code: RG8 8JG
Services: Mains water, electricity and drainage. LPG gas for the cooking range. Oil fired central heating and hot water. Underfloor heating to the first-floor family bathroom.
EPC Rating: D
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band E
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.