- A stunning and elegant 4 bedroom period house
- Set in large gardens/ grounds
- In superb order throughout
- Walk to village store/ cafe and pub/ restaurant
- The Downs school catchment
- Gigaclear super fast high speed broadband connected
- Within the heart of this highly sought after village
- Detached garage
Walking distance to the village shop & café, primary school & pub ● Pangbourne village & train station 8 miles ● Newbury 9 miles ● Thatcham train station 8 miles ● M4 (jct 13) 5 miles ● M4 (jct 12) 10 miles
(all distances/times are approximate)
1,712 sq ft / 159 m² (excludes cellar)
Gardens & grounds extending to 0.38 acre / 0.15 hectare
(all measurements are approximate)
A very handsome 4 bedroom Georgian period house. The property in the past has been used as a Vicarage but has been a private residence for many years, and has been recently restored and renovated to a very high standard. See notes.
The Grange is attached to a property of the same period. is a light, bright period house of immense charm, set in the heart of one of the most sought-after villages in this part of the world. Constructed in the 18th century and Grade II listed with features typical of the period, including wonderful high ceilings with original cornicing, many large sash windows, original shutters in the drawing room, and the entrance hall is large and imposing.
The property is within walking distance of the sought after and highly rated primary school, the village community shop, café, hairdressers, beauticians, church, and the public house. There is a large village hall with excellent facilities, a football pitch, a cricket pitch and children's play area. Hampstead Norreys is noted for its wonderful village pub, The White Hart, serving good food. The village also hosts the Good Life Hub, a fabulous shared office and co-working space.
• The kitchen is a special feature. With a large central island with a quartz working surface and seating for 5. To the island there are lots of drawers and cupboards and a fitted dishwasher. An original range area is fitted with a Rangemaster stainless steel cooker with double oven, and a ceramic 5 ring induction hob with extractor over. Elsewhere the working surfaces are polished oak. There is a Neff washing machine and LG American style fridge freezer. The flooring is in naturally stripped pine and there are French doors giving access to the rear gardens
• The old laid gardens are a very pretty setting for this charming period house. With weeping silver birch, magnolia, pine, well-maintained lawns and a bridge crossing the River Pang which sleepily meanders across the rear garden
• Drawing room is very beautiful, fitted with a Stovax Huntingdon 40 wood burning stove on a raised slate hearth with marble surround, and a pair of large windows overlooking the rear garden, taking maximum advantage of the wonderful views to the countryside beyond
• There is a ground floor room presently used as bedroom 4, but could also be used as a family/dining room
• Principal bedroom has pretty views over the rear gardens to the fields beyond, with an ensuite shower room and lots of fitted wardrobes
• Spacious family bathroom has been fully modernised and has a shower unit fitted over the bath and an airing cupboard
• Bedroom 2 has very attractive original stripped and polished floorboards
• Wide original staircase rises to a large landing, presently used as a study area
• The large cellar has restricted headroom and a submersible pump to control any high-water conditions
• A number of the doors are original pine panelled
• There is a high red brick wall on the boundary stretching from Church Street which continues along the right-hand side of the garden to just before the Pang
Summary of accommodation: Reception hall, cloakroom, drawing room, kitchen/breakfast room, family room/bedroom 4, cellar, landing/study area, 3 further double bedrooms, family bathroom, ensuite shower room to bedroom 1.
Gardens & grounds: Pretty, mature gardens with the River Pang meandering across the garden. There is an attractive, ancient brick and stone constructed gazebo/summer house to one side and a patio immediately to the rear of the property for summer dining. At the far end of the garden is a garden store and a tree house.
There is a wide vehicular access with parking for a number of cars, and access to a brick constructed single garage.
Notes: Restoration and renovation works completed by the present owners:
• January 2017 Sash window refurbishment – all sash windows refurbished, fitted with new weights and draught insulation system. Other non-sash windows in sitting room and bedroom 4 also refurbished
• August 2019 Roof stripped back to the bare timbers, some joists replaced, all timbers treated with wood treatment, damaged tiles replaced and new skylight fitted.
• September 2019 Pointing to the front and rear walls and chimney removed and re-pointed with lime mortar
• January 2020 heating system; gravity tanks removed, new pressurised system fitted, with Hive to manage heating and lighting
• July 2021 Electrics; main consumer unit replaced, new lights and sockets in bedroom 4 and electrical system tested. September 2018, new sockets and lights in recently fitted kitchen
• 2022 Refurbished bathroom and shower room. Extensive re decoration. New flooring/ carpets to some rooms.
Local facilities: Hampstead Norreys is a small picturesque village in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty amidst the lovely Berkshire Downs. The Icknield Way offers very pretty walks and runs to Goring and Streatley. It is noted for its wonderful village pub, The White Hart, serving good food.
There is a large village hall with excellent facilities, looking out over a football pitch, a cricket pitch and children's play area.
Hampstead Norreys is positioned with convenient road links to the A34, M4 and A4. Heathrow airport is an hour's drive. There is a choice of train stations within easy reach: Goring, Didcot, Pangbourne, Thatcham and Theale. It is a short drive from the market town of Newbury with its excellent shopping centre, leisure facilities and the well-known Newbury Racecourse. Yattendon village is just a couple of miles away with the famous country house hotel and restaurant; The Royal Oak, an excellent post office and village store.
For extra shopping and amenities, Pangbourne village is 10 minutes' drive and has a fabulous selection of award-winning specialist shops, restaurants, riverside pubs, a health centre and dentists.
Schools: The property is within the catchment area for the highly sought after 'The Downs' School at Compton and within walking distance of the highly regarded Hampstead Norreys C of E Primary school. Within easy driving distance of Bradfield College, Pangbourne College, St Andrew's Preparatory School, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory, Elstree, St Gabriel's Girls School and Downe House Girls School.
Directions. Upon arriving at Hampstead Norreys, with the White Hart pub on your right, follow the road past the village shop, just before the mini roundabout turn right into the property.
Post Code: RG18 0TB
Services: Mains water, drainage, electricity, oil fired central heating. High speed Gigaclear broadband connected.
EPC Rating: n/a
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band F
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
0118 984 2662
Websites: singletonanddaughter.co.uk rightmove.co.uk, mayfairoffice.co.uk, onthemarket.com, countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors.
(i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.