- Immaculately Presented Detached Family House
- Prime Village Location with Glorious Surrounding Open/Wooded Countryside
- Entrance Hall with Feature Oak Staircase & Adjacent Cloakroom
- Triple Aspect Sitting Room with Wood Burning Stove & French Doors
- Lovely Double Aspect Kitchen/Dining Room Featuring Range Cooker & French Doors
- Family Room Also Enjoying French Door Access to Gardens
- Five Bedrooms & Three Bath/Shower Rooms
- Master Bedroom with Dressing Room & En-suite
- Guest Bedroom/Bedroom 2 with En-suite
- Garage/Store with Utility Area, Driveway Parking & Delightful Walled Gardens
Pangbourne shops & train station 3 miles ● Reading 10 miles ● Newbury 12 miles ● M4 (Junction 12) 5 miles (all distances are approximate)
2,206 sq ft / 205 m²
Gardens & grounds extending to 0.17 acre
(all measurements are approximate)
A splendid 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom detached, unusually spacious family house, situated on the edge of this pretty semi-rural village, within an area noted to be of outstanding rural beauty.
9 Captain's Gorse enjoys a generous plot, with high hedges and part-walled giving seclusion, occupying an important corner position on a pretty close of just a few houses, with lovely views over the lane to pastureland, outside the village envelope.
This is a fabulous village in which to live for all age groups, and Upper Basildon has a very active and thriving family community. With wonderful walks through beautiful countryside and easy access to the village primary school, village hall, community post office, church and within walking distance to The Red Lion pub which also serves food.
Just a few minutes' drive is the riverside village of Pangbourne with its specialist shops, supermarket, health centre, and station giving fast commuter links to London Paddington, and Reading which is soon to have fast Crossrail links to the City.
• The pretty reception hall with polished oak flooring and a fine oak staircase rising to the first floor and a designer radiator
• Sitting room has triple aspect windows, polished golden oak flooring, originally part of this room might have been a dining area, brick log fire fitted with a wood burning stove, French doors to the gardens and patio which is a wonderful area for summer dining and BBQs
• Kitchen/dining room has underfloor heating. The dining area can easily sit 6 people. Kitchen is fitted with range of cream painted units to both high and low level, inset stainless steel dishwasher, inset Rangemaster professional 110 cm range cooker with 6 ring ceramic hob, stainless steel splashback, extractor over and 2 ovens, a grill and a warming drawer. Fitted fridge, free standing Siemens stainless steel fridge freezer, undermounted ceramic butlers sink, highly polished oak surfaces with drainer, designer radiator, French doors to gardens
• All the windows have been replaced with primary double-glazed units. The French doors to the sitting room are single glazed
• The TV room has French doors leading directly onto the patio and garden
• Landing is spacious with a window overlooking the rear
• All the bathrooms have been refitted of recent times to a high standard
• Principal bedroom is spacious and light, with ensuite bathroom with Victorian style tub and separate pumped Aqualisa shower and underfloor heating, archway access to dressing room which has a window overlooking the front, extensive fitted wardrobes
• Separate utility area with plumbing for washing machine and tumble dryer, wall hung gas fired boiler for heating and hot water, door giving access from inner hall
• Décor is elegant and the house as a whole is beautifully maintained
Summary of accommodation: Reception hall, sitting room, TV room, cloakroom, kitchen/dining room, 5 bedrooms, 3 bath/shower rooms, double attached garage, currently used for storage, with utility area.
Gardens: Sunny gardens mainly laid to lawn with patios on two sides, a magnolia and a number of specialist trees, with a timber constructed garden store
Gardens and grounds extending to 0.17 acre (approx.).
Local Facilities Upper Basildon is a much sought-after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village Market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has playing fields, a football club and an excellent tennis club. The Red Lion is a popular pub serving local ales and food. Various clubs and activities use the church centre and or the main church.
For the equestrian enthusiast there are many bridle paths surrounding the village, Cullinghood riding stables, and a livery stable. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes' drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including a butcher, cheese shop, organic farm shop, supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 45 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City). Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only 6 miles drive giving easy access to airports.
Schools: There are plenty of schools in the area; Upper Basildon Primary School and St Andrew's Preparatory School is only a few minutes' drive, as are Pangbourne College and Bradfield College. There is also The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for The Downs School and sixth form in Compton, Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon, and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for Girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left, proceed over the mini roundabout turning first right into Pangbourne Hill. Proceed to the top of the hill, just after the entrance to Pangbourne College on the left, turn right signposted Upper Basildon. Continue through the heart of the village passing the church, the green and past The Red Lion pub on the right. Turn next left into Ashampstead Road, proceed to the crossroads, and turn right, then first left and number 9 Captains Gorse is on the left-hand side.
Post Code: RG8 8SZ
Services: Mains water, drainage, gigaclear, electricity and gas, water softener. Zoned gas central heating.
EPC Rating: D
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire Band G
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.