- A modern character country house beautiful views over fields
- 5 bedrooms
- 3 top quality bath/shower rooms
- Impressive reception hall
- Drawing room with open fireplace fitted with wood burning stove
- Modern large kitchen/breakfast room
- Large well maintained sunny gardens approaching half an acre
- Detached double garage
- Ample parking
- Pangbourne office 0118 9842662
Pangbourne shops & train station 5 minutes' drive - Reading 10 miles - Newbury 12 miles - M4 (Junction 12) 5 miles (all distances and times are approximate)
3,475 sq ft / 323 m² (including garage)
Gardens & Grounds: 0.44 acre / 0.18 hectare
(all measurements are approximate)
A splendid modern 5 bedroom country house, set in large gardens enjoying fabulous views to the rear over open farmland. Set within the heart of this period village on a peaceful sleepy semi-residential lane, within walking distance of the primary school, church and village hall.
Chailey House was individually designed and built to the highest specifications and with an attention to detail and a stunning interior and exterior design. The present owners have made some important alterations to the house in both front and rear extensions.
There is a long private entrance drive, flanked by mature trees and herbaceous borders which lead to a large and impressive forecourt to the central landscaped island, one side giving access to a detached double garage block.
The large sunny gardens have well-maintained sweeping lawns to the rear with a flag stoned summer dining area and sun terrace, with a further raised summer dining area which takes full advantage of the westerly sun for evening BBQs. The rear gardens are very private with spectacular views and enjoy the sun all day.
The attention to detail has been a labour of love and creates a fine setting for this elegant country house. The interior design has been created with simplicity and is discreetly and expensively elegant, with a fantastic flow of accommodation.
Chailey House is truly a superb family house. It was built at the end of 1987 and set in the heart of the oldest part of this pretty period village. The original brickwork was from a very old and well-known brickmaking company in Sussex and the bricks used were called Chailey, hence the name of the house.
* The fine and impressive reception hall is a tremendous feature with a centrally positioned staircase rising to the first floor with access to the main reception rooms on both sides
* The elegant decoration
* The drawing room, with its fine Minster stone carved fireplace and hearth fitted with a wood burning stove, which is Fensa registered and approved
* The newly constructed sitting room has a vaulted ceiling, lots of windows to the front and sides, and Velux windows to the ceiling, with French doors which give access onto a front patio. There is also a door giving access to a large laundry room, part of which is presently used as a gym
* The superb modern large kitchen/breakfast room, which has an extensive range of cupboards and drawers, large fitted Neff fridge, freezer, fitted Stoves cooker range with 3 ovens and ceramic 5 ring hob, fitted Neff microwave, pot drawers, china drawers, fitted dishwasher. A large central island preparation unit, with drawers under and sink. Extending from the preparation area is a large breakfast bar which can easily seat 6 people. All working surfaces are in a polished composite granite. There is an additional double bowl sink with a waste disposal unit. A sliding primarily double-glazed door gives access to the rear terrace, summer dining areas and garden. The windows and sliding door are fitted with white painted wooden plantation blinds.
* A door from the kitchen/breakfast room leads into a garden room which is a new extension created by the present owners, with windows directly overlooking the gardens and French doors opening onto the rear terrace, this is a very pretty room
* Bi-fold doors from the garden room to a large dining room with open fireplace presently fitted with a propane fuelled coal effect fire
* The first-floor accommodation is accessed by way of a graceful wide staircase reaching to a galleried landing, with spacious bedrooms, one of which is presently used as a study
* The master bedroom has direct views over the rear garden to the fields beyond with a sliding primarily double-glazed door creating a picture window and opening in summertime secured to the exterior by a glazed panelled Juliet balcony. The window is fitted with white painted wooden plantation blinds. There are Velux windows to the vaulted ceiling, electrically operated with rain sensors and electric blinds. There are twin glass doors each side of the bed giving access to an ensuite dressing room and a separate shower room with underfloor heating
* All the other bathrooms and cloakroom are of top-quality, the guest bathroom with its free-standing modern oval bath tub and large shower area
* The sunny gardens to the front and rear, gaining the southerly and westerly sun, extending to just under half an acre
Summary of accommodation:
Ground floor: Wide entrance porch, reception hall, drawing room, sitting room, large kitchen/breakfast room, garden room, dining room, play room, utility/boot room, cloakroom, large laundry room/gym, study.
First floor: Galleried landing, five bedrooms, one presently used as a study, principal bedroom with separate dressing room and shower room, family bathroom with shower, ensuite large guest bathroom
Outside: Detached double garage, 3 timber garden stores, fenced area concealing the central heating oil tank.
Gardens and grounds: The large sunny gardens have well-maintained sweeping lawns to the rear, a flag stoned summer dining area and sun terrace, with a further raised summer dining area which takes full advantage of the westerly sun for evening BBQs. The rear gardens are very private with spectacular views and enjoy the sun all day.
The front driveway is flanked by mature trees and herbaceous borders giving privacy, there is a large gravelled forecourt with plenty of parking for a number of cars with central island, car turnaround and remotely operated wrought iron entrance gates, with pedestrian gate. Front patio with access to sitting room, wide vehicular side access to a double garage with a pair of remote control up and over doors, and also a door to one side of the property giving access to the boiler room, and a further door to the boot room.
Gardens and Grounds extending to: 0.44 acre / 0.18 hectare (approximately).
Local facilities: Upper Basildon is a much sought-after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has a football club and an excellent tennis club. Various clubs and activities use the church centre and or the main church.
For the equestrian enthusiast, Chailey House is within walking distance of Blandy's Farm Livery Yard, and there are many bridle paths surrounding the village, there is also a riding school at Cullinghood Equestrian Centre, a short drive away. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes' drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities, and a splendid selection of specialist shops including; a butcher, bakery, cheese shop, organic farm shop, supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. There are farm shops at Tidmarsh and Ashampstead.
Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 45 minutes), Oxford and Reading (Crossrail to give fast links to The City). Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only 5 miles, giving easy access to Heathrow.
Schools: There are plenty of schools in the area; Upper Basildon Primary School is a 5-minute walk. St Andrew's Preparatory School and Pangbourne College are within easy driving distance. Bradfield College, Brockhurst & Marlston House Preparatory School, Elstree Preparatory School, The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, are all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Singleton & Daughter, proceed over the mini roundabout passing the front of The Elephant hotel, turn right at St James the Less church. Proceed up Pangbourne Hill, pass the entrance to Pangbourne College on the left, fork right to Upper Basildon. On reaching the village church on the right, turn right before the village green. Chailey House will be found a short distance along on the right-hand side just after a fork in the road with a triangle of grass and opposite Darby Lane.
Post Code: RG8 8LS
Services: Mains water and drainage, electricity, oil fired central heating, propane fuelled gas fire to sitting room. High speed Gigaclear connected.
EPC Rating: C
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Fixtures and fittings: Only those mentioned in these sales particulars are included in the sale.
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that: 1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale. 2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor. 4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn. FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.