- 4,180 sq ft / 388 m² - lots of potential
- Pretty period features including Parquet flooring
- Unusually large kitchen/dining room
- Large garage/carport with basement and workshops
- Ample off road parking
- 4 bedrooms plus potential for further bedrooms
- Secluded property with a long driveway setting it well away from the lane
- Imaginatively landscaped gardens to three sides.
- Indoor heated swimming pool
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
Pangbourne shops & station 3 miles ● Reading 6 miles ● Heathrow 50 mins drive (all distances/times are approximate)
4,180 sq ft / 388 m² (all measurements are approximate)
Gardens & Grounds 0.19 acres / 0.08 ha (all measurements are approximate)
A very pretty and delightfully unique 4 bedroom Victorian house, set within the heart of this sought after period village on one of the most important semi- rural residential lanes within Upper Basildon. In need of some updating.
The property has been the subject of tasteful extension by the present owners, creating a spacious, light character country house with high ceilings and large windows giving lots of light.
All the rear gardens face south-east, with further gardens to the side facing west with a summer dining brick laid terrace with sun shade and a brick constructed BBQ area.
The gardens have been imaginatively landscaped and separated into various different areas; a vegetable garden, Japanese water garden, BBQ area, well maintained lawns, a children's play area with swing. This property has its own private drive and is well set back from the lane, tucked away with total privacy from its neighbours, with the gardens surrounding the property on 3 sides. Landscaped with care and imagination the gardens will be a delight in all seasons.
Special attention has been given to the extension to make sure that all the bricks and tiles used are totally compatible with the original building, including the replacement wooden primary double glazed sash windows throughout which are also totally in keeping with the period of the property.
The property is within easy walking distance of the village hall which has many functions during the course of the year, including a farmer's market every month. Beside the village hall are the playing fields and children's playing area, and the well regarded village primary school is only a short distance away.
The open brick car ports have been constructed with similar attention to period detail and beside the car port is the indoor heated swimming pool. The pool complex has double glass and oak doors giving access to the westerly gardens, ideal for summer use.
● The property is in good order throughout.
● The garage with internal staircase gives access to a large first floor which could be further accommodation if so desired, presently used for storage and workshops, might easily become further bedroom accommodation subject to local authority building regulations, there is also a large basement, presently used as workshops and storage and could be a tremendous wine cellar
● The indoor heated swimming pool is another extraordinary feature of this unique property. An attractive modern design with the heating provided by an air source heat pump powered by photo voltaic solar panels all concealed on the roof area which has an access from the first floor of the garage. The indoor pool is attached to the main house, although not at the moment enjoying direct access but this could be easily achieved by the introduction of a doorway from the present cloakroom
● Many of the original features from the Victorian period are still in evidence; pretty fireplaces to the sitting room and the large reception hall area, polished pine parquet flooring to the sitting room and reception hall area
● The property is attached to one side, the adjoining property is accessed from Blandys Lane not Bethesda Street and at first sight it is hardly noticeable that there is an adjoining property.
● Unusually large kitchen/dining room with laminate bamboo flooring throughout, plenty of room for a large table which might easily sit 10 if so desired, large windows overlook the gardens on 2 sides and French doors give access, there are lots of cupboards and drawer units, stainless steel double bowl sink unit, wide working surfaces, concealed in a cupboard is a modern Worcester propane gas fired boiler supplying central heating and hot water, Bosch stainless steel 4 ring gas hob with extractor over, Bosch electric stainless steel fitted oven
● A large study overlooks the front gardens with door giving access from the front, with lots of shelves and cupboard units, this might make a fine play room if so desired
● The 1st floor has wonderful views over pastureland and undulating wooded countryside to the distance
● There is a very large modern fitted bathroom with shower and freestanding roll top bath which could easily be divided into 2 if so desired
● There is a very large store cupboard with access from the reception hall
Summary of accommodation: entrance lobby, cloakroom with utility area, large reception hall with staircase to first floor, sitting room with open fire, large kitchen/dining room with French doors to garden, large study/possible play room, first floor; 4 bedrooms to include 3 doubles and a single, unusually large well fitted family bathroom, boarded loft with lighting. Attached indoor pool complex approx. 21'6'ft by 10'6'ft, with de-humidifier and heating systems powered by concealed solar panels with double glass panelled and oak doors giving access to the westerly gardens. The large garage/car port area with basement and first floor, resin bonded aggregate forecourt for parking and driveway leading to Bethesda Street which is a very peaceful semi-rural residential lane. Full propane gas fired central heating to the house. Integral garden store beside car port, log store, brick constructed BBQ area with foundations suitable for extra summer house, pair of brick raised bed vegetable garden.
NOTE : The current vendors are in the process of applying for planning permission for change of use of the outbuildings to residential usage – timeframe TBC.
Gardens & Grounds: The gardens surround the property on 3 sides, landscaped with imagination and separated into various different areas; a vegetable garden, Japanese water garden, BBQ area, well maintained lawns, a children's play area with swing.
Local facilities: Upper Basildon is a much sought after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village Market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has a football club and an excellent tennis club. The Red Lion is a popular pub serving local ales and food. Various clubs and activities use the church centre and or the main church.
For the equestrian enthusiast there is a large livery yard with many bridle paths surrounding the village. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes' drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including a butchers, cheese shop, organic farm shop, supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 45 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City). Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only 6 miles drive giving easy access to airports.
Schools: There are plenty of schools in the area; Upper Basildon Primary School is within walking distance, St Andrew's Preparatory School is only a few minutes' drive, as are Pangbourne College and Bradfield College. There is also The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left, proceed over the mini roundabout, pass The Elephant Hotel, turning first right at St James the Less Church. Proceed up Pangbourne Hill until you see a sign just after the entrance to Pangbourne College to Upper Basildon. Turn right. Proceed along this road passing the Red Lion public house, School Lane, until you find a signpost on the left for Lower Basildon and Streatley, turn right. This is Bethesda Street, proceed down this road until you see a hanging sign for Claremont House on the right, a brick paved access drive and a stone sign to the Octagon Megheramorne House on the left, and on the right, there are 2 brick built house signs on each side of a drive with a plaque on each with the number 3 shown. Turn right and proceed down this drive and the property will be found at the end.
Post Code: RG8 8NT
Services: Mains water, electricity, mains drainage, LPG gas. Gigaclear ultrafast fibre broadband.
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band F
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.