- Period detached cottage
- En suite shower room and family bathroom
- 3 Reception rooms
- Detached double garage with bedroom 5 over
- Ample parking for numerous cars
- 5 Double bedrooms
- Large kitchen/ breakfast room
- Period features including fireplaces and wonderful flow of accommodation
- 2.7 acres of gardens /grounds and small paddock.Pretty views to the rear
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
Pangbourne 8 miles ● Reading 8 miles ● Newbury 9 miles ● Theale train station 4 miles/8 mins drive ● Heathrow 45 mins drive (all distances & timings are approximate)
2,974 sq ft / 276 m²
Gardens & Grounds extending to 2.7 acres / 1.1 hectares (all measurements are approximate)
A splendid 5 bedroom detached cottage, valuably unlisted, which started life in the 17th century and has of recent times undergone first-class alteration and extension.
Mariners Cottage is set on a very pretty and peaceful semi-rural lane overlooking open countryside in an area noted for its tranquil rural beauty and is in excellent decorative order throughout.
Within easy walking distance of the village primary school, the village shop and post office which are community owned and run, the village hall, village green, tennis courts, cricket pitch, the Montessori Nursery School and The Queen`s Head, the village pub.
A very pretty and unusually spacious property with lots of family accommodation and well-maintained grounds.
● The peaceful location
● The property is completely private with pretty views to the rear and side over natural pastureland
● There is lots of potential for further extension. A planning permission granted in 2013, now lapsed, could be reinstated for conversion of the garage area into a self-contained cottage
● There is a pretty heated 5m x 11m approx. swimming pool, flanked by a hot tub and pool store room with a raised deck with loggia over for summer dining
● A very large garden/living room with French door access onto the large paved sun terrace
● There is a wonderful flow of accommodation with an excellent dining area just off the very large kitchen/breakfast room which has an extensive range of painted high and low level traditional cupboard and drawer units, hard wood working surfaces, double bowl ceramic sink unit with mixer taps, dishwasher, fitted Rangemaster cooking unit with double oven, grill, ceramic hob with five rings, Rangemaster extractor hood over, fitted stainless steel Smeg steam oven, and the range area is flanked by a pair of high level decorative and useful plate racks. There is an American fridge freezer with water and ice dispenser, lots of pot drawers, a centrally positioned large island breakfast bar which can easily seat 6 with a range of cupboards under and a polished oak worksurface over and Amtico oak effect flooring throughout this are and the dining area
● The drawing room is very pretty with natural oak flooring, exposed beams and a fine bay window to one end with views over the gardens on three sides, centrally positioned fireplace fitted with wood burning stove built of brick with log beam over
● Large reception hall with wide staircase rising gracefully to the first floor
● All the sanitary fittings throughout the property are modern, and of good quality
● Bedroom 1has an ensuite shower room, and is fully fitted with an extensive range of wardrobes, matching dressing table flanked by drawers, cupboards and matching bedside units
● Unusual for a cottage of this period all the bedrooms have fitted wardrobes
● Primary double-glazed windows throughout
● There is a 5th bedroom/gym/games room with internal staircase from the attached double garage with access from the dining area
● New boiler fitted to main house 18 months ago
Summary of accommodation: Large reception hall, cloakroom with utility, drawing room with open fire fitted with wood burning stove, large garden room/living room, spacious dining area, walk through access into large kitchen with breakfast area, French doors opening onto rear gardens, 4 double bedrooms, family bathroom, ensuite shower room to bedroom 1. Attached double garage with electric up and over doors with internal staircase to bedroom 5/gym/games room.
Gardens and grounds: There is a 5m x 11m approx. heated pool with insulation cover, bounded by a large paved sun terrace, to one side there is a loggia with raised deck, an entertainment area for summer dining and beside this a hot tub. There is a pool store to one side and a pathway leads to a pretty summer house. Lawns surround the property and there is a gateway to a small paddock, parking to the forecourt for approximately 15 cars flanked by shrubberies, access for pedestrians and vehicles to the garage.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 2.7 acres / 1.1 hectares approx.
Note. The drawing room might benefit from the floor being lowered and as the property is unlisted would only need building regulations.
Local facilities: Bradfield Southend has a wonderful vibrant community. There is a community owned and run Village Store/Post Office, together with a cricket ground and a recreation ground. There is an excellent riding school, a village hall with all sorts of events and a children`s play area, floodlit tennis courts and a popular tennis club. A fine health centre is a short drive along the Avenue of Oaks.
Bradfield College has a fantastic sports complex open to public membership, with a fine indoor pool, indoor/outdoor tennis courts, squash, gym and fitness centre. There is a 9-hole golf course at Bradfield College which is open to public membership. Bradfield College also has a famous Greek amphitheatre which hosts various ticketed performances during the course of the year. Vicar`s farm shop is a short drive with its fine butchers, delicatessen, grocery section and fishmonger.
The M4 Junction 12 at Theale is within easy driving access, as is M4 Junction 13. Reading and Newbury are equidistance and Pangbourne village is nearby with its tremendous selection of specialist shops and a train station. There is easy access to bus services which run along the Bradfield Southend Road.
There are a number of very good pubs in the area; The Bladebone at Bucklebury, The Old Boot Inn and The Bull in Stanford Dingley, offer excellent food as does the The Queen`s Head village pub.
Schools: Walking distance to Bradfield Church of England Primary School and the Montessori Primary School. Bradfield College and Pangbourne College are nearby, with Downe House, St Andrew`s Preparatory School, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory School for Boys, The Oratory School, Brockhurst & Marlston House Preparatory School and Elstree Preparatory School all within easy driving distance.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left, over the mini roundabout and pass out of the village, through Tidmarsh, over the M4 and turn first right signposted to Bradfield. Proceed along this road passing through the centre of the buildings belonging to Bradfield College, arriving at a T-junction with a War Memorial on your left, turn right. A short distance down the road you will see a sign on the right for Tutts Clump. Turn right here and this is Mariners Lane, proceed down, passing some housing on both sides, some white cottages on the right, after Pococks Cottage on the right, Mariners Cottage is on the right, with a wide entrance and signposts on both sides of the drive.
Post Code: RG7 6HX
Services: Mains electricity, mains pumped drainage, mains water. Full security system, oil fired central heating (new boiler installed in the house 18 months ago), oil fired heating for the pool. Water softener.
EPC Rating: D
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.