Guide Price £1,500,000 - Available
Pangbourne station 2 miles ● Reading 8 miles ● M4 (junc12) 5 miles (all distances approximate)
3,296 sq ft / 306 m²
Gardens & Grounds approaching 2 acres / 0.75 hectares
(All measurements are approximate)
A modern 6 bedroom country house, occupying one of the finest positions on the outskirts of Pangbourne. Overlooking its own gardens and land and enjoying magnificent views over rolling countryside to wooded hillsides in the distance.
The house was constructed by a previous owner in the 1970s. It has enormous potential for redevelopment, extension or refurbishment with extensive permitted development for enlargement of the present property, and also for planning permission for a large new dwelling on the site if so required (see note 3).
It is hard to imagine a more tranquil, beautiful and sleepy rural location and yet only a few minutes driving distance to the centre of Pangbourne with its excellent facilities, schools, restaurants, riverside pubs and amenities. Pangbourne station offers fast commuter links to London Paddington and to Reading which will provide Crossrail services estimated for completion at the end of 2020, linking this area to the City, which must have an effect on increasing the value of property in this area.
The house as is, with a small amount of cosmetic work offers spacious family accommodation, with high ceilings and large windows giving lots of light. A long private driveway access is owned by the property.
This is an excellent family house set in an outstanding and beautiful semi-rural area, with no feeling of isolation with high quality family properties nearby which do not invade the privacy of Bere Court Farm.
Note : A further 14 acres/5.6 hectares (approx.) of adjoining pastureland may be purchased by separate negotiation.
● The large gardens and grounds which surround the property (1.86 acres approx), with the option to purchase separately a further 14 acres of adjoining pastureland which the farmhouse directly overlooks
● The peace and tranquillity of the location
● The spacious family accommodation
● The large galleried landing
● The very large reception hall
● There is a summer dining terrace enjoying south westerly aspect over its garden
● The spacious sitting room, dining room, family room and kitchen/breakfast room
● The wonderful views over the gardens grounds and pastureland which could belong to the property
● The spacious first floor bedroom accommodation, with bedroom 1 having an ensuite shower room and dressing room and Juliet balcony
● 6 double bedrooms
● The family bathroom and ensuite shower room to bedroom 1 have modern units fitted
● Kitchen/breakfast room is fitted with a range of shabby chic freestanding cupboard and drawer units, breakfast table with 6 chairs, dresser unit, preparation table, dishwasher, new condition Rangemaster Kitchener with double ovens, warming draw and ceramic 6 ring hob, new condition Rangemaster American style fridge/freezer with ice maker and a Blue Ice wine cooler
● The dining room has a fireplace fitted with a wood burning stove and the drawing room features a large open fireplace
● Before the front of the house there is a large circular turnaround with plenty of car parking and also access to the attached double garage
● The grounds feature a disused full size hard tennis court which might be restored quite simply
● 5 bar gated access from the main drive to the gardens of the main house, with a further 5 bar gate giving access to the pastureland if purchased with the house
● The pastureland which is available by separate purchase, has a 5 bar gate access from Bere Court Road
Summary of accommodation: Large reception hall with first floor gallery over, sitting room with large open fireplace, family room, large kitchen/breakfast room, dining room, utility room, cloakroom, oil fired boiler supplying central heating and domestic hot water, 6 bedrooms, bedroom 1 has a dressing room and ensuite shower room, family bathroom, large attached double garage, integral garden store with disused bore hole.
Note 1. The pastureland: The boundary to the pastureland on the eastern side will be post and rail fenced by the owners prior to completion of the sale. Water laid on.
Note 2. The private driveway is very beautiful lined by an avenue of majestic lime, horse chestnut, beech and oak. It is owned by the property gives access to only a few other country houses of high quality, there is also a public footpath lying adjacent which gives access to wonderful walks to natural unspoilt countryside.
Note 3. Full planning permission for a replacement dwelling was passed on 13th February 2015, now lapsed. Plans available and may be viewed at the offices of Singleton & Daughter in Pangbourne.
Local facilities: Pangbourne is a wonderful period village with a fine selection of award winning independent shops, a small supermarket, health centre, dentists, library, hairdressers, riverside pubs and fine restaurants. Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens is a lovely place for young families with amazing animals, birds, gardens, play parks, a splash pool and miniature train. Basildon Park is a National Trust property featuring a splendid Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
There are also plenty of facilities for the golfing enthusiast in the area; Streatley Hills, Mapledurham and Calcot to name but a few. Pangbourne offers superb transport links with a fast train service to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading, the imminent Crossrail offering fast links to the City in the coming years, as well as buses to all local areas. Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only five minutes driving distance.
There is a first class fitness centre at Bradfield College, which is open to membership, with a very fine indoor swimming pool, gymnasium, squash courts, indoor tennis courts and 9-hole golf course. The large supermarkets of Waitrose and Sainsbury`s are within easy driving distance.
Excellent schools: Bere Court Farm is located within easy reach of a number of fine schools. Pangbourne College, Bradfield College and St Andrew`s Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory School, Downe House, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School. There are bus pick up points in Pangbourne for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon, and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey. Pangbourne Primary School and Englefield
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left, proceed over the mini roundabout, and turn right at St James the Less Church, proceed up Pangbourne Hill, turning left into Bere Court Road. Proceed along the Bere Court Road, the pastureland of Lot 1 will be found on the right hand side towards the end of Bere Court Road. At the crossroads turn right into Tidmarsh Lane, proceed along the lane until you see a sign for South Lodge on your right, carry on a little further and you will see a driveway, with another signpost to South Lodge and a notice on a tree denoting access to Bere Court Farm, turn right and the property will be found some way down on the right hand side.
Post Code: RG8 8HT
Services: Oil fired central heating, electricity, modern septic tank drainage, estate metered water supply
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band H
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.
- Modern country house
- 2 bathrooms
- Magnificent views over open countryside
- Enormous potential for extension and or redevelopment
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
- 6 bedrooms
- Spacious family accommodation
- Approx 2 acres gardens and grounds
- Lapsed planning fro a replacement dwelling
The Energy-Efficiency Rating is a measure of a home's overall efficiency. The higher the rating, the more energy-efficient the home is, and the lower the fuel bills are likely to be.
The Environmental Impact Rating is a measure of a home's impact on the environment in terms of carbon dioxide (C02) emissions - the higher the rating, the less impact it has on the environment.