- 17th century cottage
- Set in the heart of the village
- Pretty south facing garden.
- Kitchen could be relocated to the dining room creating a good sized kitchen
- Three bedrooms
- 2 minutes walk to the station
- Parking space in the village hall car park (1 minutes walk)
- Pangbourne office 0118 9842662
Within 1 minute level walk to Pangbourne village centre ● Reading 6 miles ● M4 (junc 12) 5 miles ● Heathrow 45 mins drive ● Fast trains from Pangbourne station to London Paddington (47 minutes) (all distances/times are approximate)
978 sq ft / 91m² (all measurements are approximate)
A delightful semi detached 17th century 3 bedroom cottage. Set within the heart of this famous Thameside period village within easy walking distance to village amenities, fine selection shops and the train station.
Overlooking the wonderful and ancient church of St James the Less to the front with very pretty south facing private gardens to the rear.
This cottage is probably one of the oldest dwellings still in existence in Pangbourne and was once the River Keeper`s accommodation, and later a bakery.
The interior of the property is full of charm expected of the age, with exposed ceiling beams, open fireplace with Bessemer beam across and many rooms enjoy high ceilings.
May Cottage has had considerable updating to include; new electrical consumer unit, new sockets and extensive re wiring, roof repairs, redecoration, a new ensuite bathroom with new shower, built in wardrobes and new carpets throughout.
● May Cottage is a delightful Grade II listed cottage
● Very pretty, secluded and private south-facing garden measuring some 57`deep x 30` in width approximately, with a useful greenhouse and garden store
● Well-maintained lawns, fruit trees and high hedges on both sides at the rear giving seclusion
● A very sunny paved patio area immediately to the rear of the property, a natural sun trap
● As this is an end of terrace there is a side entrance to the garden, handy for dustbins and access for garden and house maintenance
● The gas fired boiler which supplies central heating and domestic hot water is approximately 7 years old and regularly serviced
● There are 2 fireplaces within the property, one is currently blocked in, the other is an open log fire
● Bedroom 1 has a large ensuite bathroom with built in wardrobes and within the bedroom there is useful under eaves storage
● Secondary double glazing throughout the ground floor
● Parking space in the village hall car park which is only 1 minutes walk from May Cottage (approx.) – licence issued by the Parish Council, currently costs £40 per month – copy of the licence available upon request.
Summary of accommodation: Reception hall, dining room, sitting room with open fireplace, kitchen, 3 bedrooms, ensuite to bedroom 1, family bathroom to ground floor, large storage area to bedroom 3. It should be noted that the reception hall, kitchen, dining room, first floor bedroom and bathroom all have excellent ceiling heights as this part of the cottage was of later construction to the remainder.
Gardens and grounds: Very pretty, secluded and private south-facing rear garden 57`deep x 30` in width approximately, with greenhouse, garden store, well maintained lawns, fruit trees, high hedges on both sides at the rear giving seclusion and a very sunny paved patio area immediately to the rear of the property, a natural sun trap.
Note: The existing kitchen is in need of updating but a new vendor may consider relocating the kitchen to the existing dining room creating a much larger kitchen/ breakfast room and the existing kitchen could become a study or playroom.
The Principal Conservation & Design Officer, Development & Planning Service at West Berkshire has confirmed by email to the vendor the following statement :
I am able to confirm that relocation of the kitchen to the dining room, essentially requiring fitting out and no structural changes to the property, and affecting later extensions to the property, is acceptable without the need for a formal application for Listed Building Consent, since the works described are not considered to impact on the special architectural and historic character of the listed building or any elements of significance of it.
Local facilities: Pangbourne is a wonderful Thameside period village with a mainline train station, buses, schools and library, an extensive selection of independent shops, dentists, hairdressers, butcher, cheese shop, doctors` practice, pubs and fine restaurants. Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only five minutes driving distance and Pangbourne station gives commuter access to Oxford, Reading and London Paddington, if so desired.
Schools: Excellent schools are to hand with Pangbourne College just up the road; Bradfield College, St Andrew`s Preparatory School and Brockhurst & Marlston House Schools are nearby. The Oratory School, Downe House, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory School are within easy driving distance. May Cottage is walking distance to the Pangbourne Primary School, which has foundation stage 1.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton turn left, pass over the mini roundabout, past The Elephant, pass St James the Less Church and turn right and May Cottage will be found almost immediately on the left hand side.
Post Code: RG8 7AS
Services: All mains including gas.
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: West Berkshire. Tax Band D
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN. Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.