Guide Price £1,250,000 - Sold
Pangbourne centre & railway station 10 minutes` walk (fast trains to London Paddington 47 minutes) ● Easy access Reading (6 miles) & Oxford by rail & road ● M4 (junc 12) 6 miles ● Heathrow 45 minutes by car (all distances approximate)
2,873 sq ft / 267 m²
(all measurements are approximate)
Thomas Edwin Brown wrote of his garden in 1830-1897; `a garden is a lovesome thing, God wot.` This poet might have been describing the magical walled garden in which this property is set.
Old Wall Cottage is a wonderful 4 bedroom period country house set in this secret walled garden, once part of Walliscote Farm. The property has been restored with lavish, dedicated and tasteful care by the present owners who have also continued to landscape and maintain the very beautiful walled gardens.
It is rare that a property of this elegance and quality is put to the market.
The property is pleasantly positioned in a completely private and secure location entered from electrically operated gates through the walls of the garden. Part of a small group of period properties within the heart of this Thameside village.
The attention to detail within this property is without parallel, from the quality of the oak flooring, to the Amdega conservatory with travertine marble flagstone flooring, to the pretty log burning stove in the drawing room, and the fabulous bespoke craftsmen constructed kitchen. The décor has been chosen and designed with tasteful care and Old Wall Cottage is valuably unlisted.
● The lovely ancient 10 foot high walls which surround this garden, part of the original period kitchen garden once belonging to Walliscote House
● Beautifully fitted kitchen/breakfast room with its slate flooring, modern 2 oven red fronted AGA with remote control timing system, auxiliary Bosch 2 ring ceramic induction hob, fitted Bosch dishwasher, fitted American style John Lewis Fridge freezer with water and ice dispenser, pretty high level plate racking, pretty composite marble work surfaces, pretty dresser unit, white painted exposed beams to ceiling
● Wide walkthrough from the kitchen/breakfast room into a large dining room with windows giving far reaching views across the adjacent pastureland belonging to Walliscote Farm
● Remote control music system with speakers fitted to the ceiling of the drawing room, also Rako (app.) remote lighting system
● The fine Amdega conservatory with 2 pairs of French doors opening directly to the garden
● The very high quality up to the minute large wet room to the ground floor adjacent to the guest bedroom 4
● Fine quality modern family bathroom to the first floor
● All the bedrooms are doubles, 2 have bespoke fitted wardrobes
● Plantation shutters fitted to all the first floor rooms
● The drawing room has pretty hardwood venetian blinds to a number of the windows
● There are splendid views from the drawing room, dining room, kitchen, also bedrooms 2 and 3 overlooking Walliscote Farm pastureland
● Laundry room fitted with Miele washing machine and tumble dryer and deep freeze
● Gardens with well-maintained lawn, the formal gardens surrounded by herbaceous borders with a date palm flourishing to one side and to the other a large fig tree flanked by white wisteria climbing the walls
● Pretty herringbone brick paved forecourt with French doors giving access from the study and utility room with a circular raised fire pit in the form of a well with a copper cover, operated by mains gas
● Further Yorkstone terrace with access from the main house and conservatory with summer dining area and fountain
● Secret corner enclave created as a quiet place for meditation
● Pair of oak framed remote and electrically controlled entrance gates giving access through the wall into the garden for vehicles, flanked by another electrically operated, arched oak framed door for pedestrians
● The fine double carports with Yorkstone flagstone flooring
● Wide gravelled forecourt for guest and family parking
● Hive remote control system for central heating and hot water
● Remote controlled lighting to the garden
● Remote controlled fountain
● The roof has been removed, relined and insulated of recent times
● 8 meter / 26 foot River Thames mooring
Summary of accommodation:
Reception hall, drawing room, dining room, conservatory, kitchen/breakfast room, large fully fitted boot room, cloakroom, further internal laundry room, study with French door to garden, gymnasium area, large wet room adjacent to the ground floor
bedroom 4, first floor; 3 double bedrooms, large family bathroom.
Gardens & Grounds: Lovely ancient 10 foot high walls surround this beautiful garden which was part of the original period kitchen garden once belonging to Walliscote House. The formal gardens are surrounded by herbaceous borders with a date palm flourishing to one side and to the other a large fig tree flanked by white wisteria climbing the walls, there are well-maintained lawns and a pretty herringbone brick paved forecourt with a circular raised mains gas fired fire pit in the form of a well with a copper cover. There is a further Yorkstone terrace with a summer dining area and remote controlled fountain. A secret corner conclave has been created as a quiet place for meditation and a pair of oak framed remote and electrically controlled entrance gates give access through the wall into the garden for vehicles, flanked by another electrically operated, arched oak framed door for pedestrian access.
Local facilities: Old Wall Cottage is within easy walking distance of Pangbourne village centre with its fine selection of award winning independent shops, a supermarket, health centre, dentists, library, hairdressers, riverside pubs and fine restaurants. The River Thames runs between the villages and has riverside meadows, part-owned by the National Trust, the Thames Path, a children`s play area, tennis courts, football pitches, a bowling club and Pangbourne Adventure Dolphin centre offering canoeing and climbing instruction. Whitchurch-on-Thames also has two fine character pubs in The Greyhound and Ferryboat.
Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens is a couple of miles up the road and is a lovely place for young families with amazing animals, birds, gardens, play parks, a splash pool and miniature train. Near to Beale Park is Basildon Park, the National Trust property, featuring a splendid Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
Pangbourne offers superb transport links with a fast train service to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading which will benefit from the upcoming Crossrail, offering fast links to the City, as well as buses to all local areas. Waitrose can be found at both Tilehurst (approx. 4 miles) and Wallingford.
Schools: Whitchurch-on-Thames is located within easy reach of a number of independent schools; Pangbourne College, Bradfield College and St Andrew`s Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory, Downe House, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School. The property is in the catchment area of Langtree Secondary School at Woodcote, and Whitchurch Primary School itself has an outstanding record.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left at the mini roundabout, turn left again at the George Hotel turn left, and continue over the River Thames and the toll bridge into Whitchurch-on-Thames, passing The Greyhound pub on the right and a few yards down on the left hand side there is a wide gravelled access and the entrance to the property is immediately in front of you.
Post Code: RG8 7EP
Services: Mains water, electricity, gas. Gas fired central heating.
Local Authority: South Oxfordshire
Council Tax Band: Band G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.
- Period country house set in a secret walled garden
- 4 Double bedrooms Modern bathroom and wet room
- Amdega conservatory
- Double detached carport
- 8 m /26 ft River Thames mooring
- Restored and beautifully fitted throughout
- Remote music and lighting systems
- Beautiful landscaped walled garden
- High quality and security
Nearest train stations (distances are in a straight line)
The Energy-Efficiency Rating is a measure of a home's overall efficiency. The higher the rating, the more energy-efficient the home is, and the lower the fuel bills are likely to be.
The Environmental Impact Rating is a measure of a home's impact on the environment in terms of carbon dioxide (C02) emissions - the higher the rating, the less impact it has on the environment.