- Early Victorian detached house
- Original period features including flooring and fireplace
- 3 bath/shower rooms
- Large single 25ft length garage and ample parking
- Primary double glazed windows
- 5/6 bedrooms
- Across the road from the fabulous Arthur Newbury Park
- Pretty gardens with a beautiful park just over road
- Access to all local amenities
- Pangbourne office 0118 984 2662
½ mile to Tilehurst station ● Reading 3 miles ● M4 (junction 12) 6 miles ● Pangbourne 3 miles ● Opposite the beautiful Arthur Newbury Park - a wonderful park for children to play in and for walking (all distances are approximate)
2,926sq ft / 272 m² (all measurements are approximate)
A splendid detached 5/6 bedroom period house in one of the most sought after tree-lined roads in Tilehurst.
Oaktree Cottage was one of the first houses to be constructed in this pretty road with the property dating back to the early Victorian period, with some later additions. Opposite the Arthur Newbury Park - a wonderful park for walking and children to play in. This charming family house has been cared for with love and dedication for many years, it is well set back from the road with plenty of car parking and part of the front boundary shows an attractive red brick and flint wall. Within the front garden is one of the ancient oak trees, after which the road is named.
The property was constructed in the early Victorian period, and at this time there were only 2 properties in this road, Oak Tree Cottage and an adjacent property which was locally known as Twopenny Pightle.
Oaktree Cottage is situated almost directly opposite the entrance to Arthur Newberry Park giving lots of walks and family enjoyment for all ages.
There's easy access by road to the centre of Tilehurst with its shops and the station is within easy walking distance, offering a fast train service to London Paddington, Reading and Oxford.
There is an excellent Waitrose just along the road and Pangbourne has a wonderful village centre with shops, a health centre, dentists, hairdressers, excellent restaurants and pubs.
● The pretty construction of the main original building of handmade red and blue clay brick, under a clay tiled roof. The extension has been careful to carry on the same style
● The gardens are very pretty with lawns, wild flower beds, herbaceous borders and a vegetable patch. A red herringbone path runs along the side gardens to the rear where there are further lawns, fruit trees and a raised decking area for summer dining
● The reception hall is very pretty with its traditional black and white tiled flooring and a staircase rises gracefully to the 1st floor
● The drawing room has an original polished hardwood parquet floor and an original fireplace with brick hearth and white painted mantel and surround, fitted with a wood burning stove. There is a door from this room onto the covered veranda which is open and leads directly to the decked terrace area and rear gardens
● The sitting room has a pretty bay window overlooking the front gardens and an original red brick open fireplace with old polished planked pine flooring
● The cloakroom is large and very pretty with traditional black and white tiled flooring
● Golden oak flooring will be found in the spacious kitchen/dining room which has a large selection of white painted kitchen units with granite working surfaces, ceramic salt glazed sink unit with mixer taps, a fitted Fisher and Paykel stainless steel double oven range with 5 gas rings, stainless steel cooker hood over and a fitted Fisher & Paykel dishwasher, there are double doors to a large fitted pantry and windows overlooking the rear gardens. This kitchen/dining room can quite easily take an 8 seater table
● The oak flooring continues into a spacious utility area with a door to the garden and walk through access to a rear lobby, with door to the garage and a further door to the study
● The study has further examples of old pine planked golden polished flooring, and has windows overlooking the front garden
● The bathrooms and shower rooms have all been tastefully refitted with modern Victorian style units
● Master bedroom, which is very large, has a dressing area and the ensuite has a large Victorian style bath tub and walk in shower
● There is a large landing to the first floor with fitted airing cupboard and further examples to the front bedroom of the original large pine planked flooring with pretty Victorian style fireplace
● All windows have been replaced with primary double glazing
● There is a pressurised water system throughout the property with a Megaflo tank and gas fired central heating
Summary of accommodation: Spacious reception hall, large cloakroom sitting room with open fireplace, drawing room with open fireplace, large kitchen/dining room fully fitted, utility room, study. 1st floor; 5 bedrooms, 4 of which are doubles, 1 single, plus a babies bedroom/dressing room, 2 bathrooms and a shower room to include the large ensuite to bedroom 1 which also has a dressing area. Large integral single garage.
Gardens: The gardens are very pretty with lawns, wild flower beds, herbaceous borders and a vegetable patch. A red herringbone path runs along the side gardens to the rear where there are further lawns, fruit trees and a raised decking area for summer dining.
Local facilities: A short driving distance down the Reading Road is Tilehurst train station, giving fast train connections to London Paddington, Reading and Oxford. There is an excellent Waitrose just along the road at Tilehurst and Pangbourne has a wonderful centre full of shops, health centre, dentists, specialist shops, excellent restaurants and pubs.
Reading town centre is approximately 3 miles away and there is a regular bus service along the Oxford to Reading road, the M4 Junction 12 at Theale is approximately 6 miles.
The Arthur Newbery Park is very close by and offers a superb green space, great for recreation, dog walkers and a playground for younger children.
Schools: There are excellent schooling facilities in the area to include; Ofsted rated Purley Primary C of E School, Denefield secondary school, Little Heath secondary school. Pangbourne College, Bradfield College, St Andrew's Preparatory School and Brockhurst & Marlston House Schools are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory School, The Abbey Girls School, Cranford House, Queen Anne's, Moulsford Preparatory School, Reading School (Boys) and Kendrick school (Girls).
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter; turn left and at the mini roundabout turn left again. Proceed out of the village and pass through Purley, pass the Roebuck, some new terrace houses, pass a Peugeot garage on the left, and carry on to the roundabout, take the 3rd exit into Overdown Road, then first left into Kentwood Hill and first right into Oak Tree Road. Proceed along Oak Tree Road passing Argyll Road and the property will be found on the right hand side, just before the left hand bend.
Post Code: RG31 6JX
Services: All mains, including gas, electricity, water, drainage and high speed broadband
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: Reading Borough Council, Tax Band G.
EPC Rating: D
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.