- Period semi-detached cottage
- Sitting room with fine views
- Pretty, secure gardens
- Peaceful location
- Downs School catchment area
- 3 double bedrooms
- First floor bathroom
- High ground with fabulous views
Within the catchment area for The Downs School.
Pangbourne village & train station 6 miles ● Newbury 20 minutes ● Reading 13 miles ● Thatcham train station 6 miles (all distances & timings are approximate)
1,212 sq ft / 113 m² (all measurements are approximate)
A pretty, 3 double bedroom semi-detached period cottage, set on high ground enjoying fabulous views over natural rolling countryside.
Substantially constructed red clay brick under a red clay roof, the property is well-fitted and is in excellent decorative order. Set in pretty landscaped gardens, with raised decked patio area, with direct access from the sitting room.
The rear of the garden is entered through a beech archway, and there is further raised decking providing a BBQ area for evening entertaining.
This is a wonderful sleepy rural location.
● A well fitted kitchen/living room with oil-fired Rayburn cooking range, plenty of fitted pine panelled high and low level cupboard and drawer units and a large dresser unit
● Spacious reception hall with original staircase rising gracefully to the first floor
● The sitting room is large with windows overlooking the garden and also enjoying some fine views over the surrounding countryside
● The sitting room can easily accommodate a dining table and at one end there is an open fireplace on a raised hearth and a French door gives access to the rear garden
● Most of the windows have been replaced with primary double glazed units
● To the first floor the doors are original pretty stripped pine
● All 3 bedrooms are doubles and have fitted wardrobes
● Bedroom 1 has an original fireplace
● There is a courtyard to the rear of the property, with original arched entrance porch, presently used as the main entrance. The courtyard also holds a secure store, a modern plastic tank holding central heating oil and a log store
● There is parking to the front boundary
● This is a peaceful lane and the property enjoys fine, far reaching rural views, from the garden and all major rooms
Summary of accommodation: Reception hall, entrance lobby, cloakroom, large sitting room with dining area, kitchen/living room, 3 double bedrooms, bathroom with shower to first floor, full oil fired central heating, parking, rear courtyard with log store, secure garden store and oil tank.
Gardens and grounds: Pretty gardens with well-maintained lawns, 2 decked areas, small fishpond, courtyard with garden store, log store and oil tank.
Local facilities: Hawkridge Hill is on the edge of Frilsham village, just outside the well-known village of Yattendon. Yattendon has a first rate and highly regarded primary school, the famous Country House Hotel & Restaurant; The Royal Oak, and what is now one of the most important focal points of village life at Yattendon; The Village Stores and Post Office. There has been a shop in Yattendon since the 1600s and it currently offers a Post Office counter and provides a wide range of convenience foods for local residents including produce from Vicars Game, West Berkshire Brewery and The Wineman. Yattendon has a thriving community and a popular tennis club.
Nearby is The Pot Kiln, regarded as one of Britain's best country pub restaurants, run by celebrity chef Mike Robinson.
Bradfield College has a fabulous sports complex is open to public membership, with a fine indoor pool, indoor tennis courts, squash, gym and fitness centre. There is also a 9-hole golf course at Bradfield College which is open to public membership.
For extra shopping and amenities, Pangbourne village is just 6 miles away and has a fabulous selection of award winning specialist shops, restaurants, riverside pubs, a health centre, dentists, hairdressers and a train station giving a fast train service connection to London Paddington.
Schools: Frilsham is within the catchment area for the highly sought after The Downs School at Compton and the highly regarded Yattendon Primary. Within easy driving distance of Bradfield College, Pangbourne College, St Andrew's Preparatory School, Cranford House, Moulsford Preparatory, Elstree, St Gabriel's Girls School and Downe House Girls School.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left, pass over the mini roundabout passing The Elephant Hotel on the right. Turn right into Pangbourne Hill, continue for as far as you can go (approximately 3 miles), and at the T-junction turn right signposted to Yattendon. On entering the beginning of Yattendon Village, turn left opposite Yattendon Church down a narrow lane and left at the T-junction. Continue over the motorway and take the turning on the right hand side signposted Frilsham. Continue through the village of Frilsham until you come to a signpost to Hermitage and Bucklebury, turn left into Hawkridge Hill and 2 Hawkridge Hill Cottage will be found on the left hand side, just before a cream painted cottage.
Services: Mains water, electricity, modern bio-septic drainage (12 years old) – note this drainage is shared between 2 Hawkridge Hill Cottage, Dragon Cottage and Hawkridge House. Emptied once a year and 2 Hawkridge Hill Cottage pays approx. £100 per annum.
Post Code: RG18 9XA
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band E
Viewing by arrangement with vendor's agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.