- 4 bedrooms
- Pretty views to the Chilterns
- Private and peaceful location
- Large double detached garage
- Beautiful location, lots of potential (subject to pp)
- Large gardens/meadow/paddock
- Walking distance to village shop, primary school and train station
Reading 4 miles, M4 (junc 12) 6 miles, Pangbourne 5 minutes drive, Tilehurst train station 1 mile (all distances and timings are approximate)
1,661 sq ft / 154m² Gardens and meadow/paddock 0.7 acres / 0.3 hectares
(all measurements are approximate)
Purley Lodge Cottage is a delightful late Victorian 4 bedroom detached cottage constructed circa 1898, with later additions, that originally was the gardener`s cottage for Purley Lodge.
Enjoying beautiful cottage gardens, it also owns a large meadow/paddock with a separate five bar gate access, ideal for ponies or livestock. There is potential to extend, subject to Local Authority planning permission.
Purley Village borders an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and is set in a tiny hamlet of period and character cottages, and is within walking distance of the village school, the village shop and Tilehurst train station.
This property has been restored and kept in fine order by the present owners over some years and is beautifully fitted and decorated throughout. Its gardens have been lovingly maintained, enjoy considerable privacy and are accessed from the drawing room.
To the rear of the property is an old brick and flagstone laid terrace, ideal for summer dining, with extensive views over the gardens, the ha-ha and the meadow/paddock. From the rear rooms within the cottage the views are far reaching over open countryside and across the River Thames to the Chilterns beyond.
The adjacent bridle path gives access to the gardens and the meadow/paddock by way of a side access, as well as to the brick laid parking area and double garage. The meadow/paddock could easily be used as a pony paddock with its separate five bar gate access. The bridle path gives access to delightful walks bordering natural farmland that eventually leads to the River Thames and along the Thames path to Pangbourne Meadows.
Purley Lodge Cottage is a house of immense charm and quality, and is as useful for a couple as it is for a family.
Note: There has been no flooding in this part of Purley effecting Purley Lodge Cottage.
● Borders an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty with extensive views across the River Thames to the Chilterns
● Tasteful decoration
● The recently fitted ground floor French doors constructed in hardwood with primary double glazing
● Unusual for the period, the property enjoys very large windows, as well as good ceiling heights
● The front windows have been replaced by the highly regarded Messrs Bosher of Cholsey and are hardwood and primary double glazed
● A number of the floors have polished parquet flooring
● The dining room and kitchen have quarry tiled flooring, true to the period
● The fireplace in the drawing room has an efficient and attractive wood burning stove with a cupboard to one side, currently concealing the television
● The radiator in the drawing room is attractively encased in a fitted cover with brass fascia
● Sanitary ware throughout the property is of contemporary design, with the first floor bathroom refitted to a very high standard
● Bedroom 1 has a picture window that takes full advantage of the views across the garden, meadow/paddock and open farmland. Along one wall there is an extensive mirror fronted, good quality wardrobe
● There are 3 double bedrooms and 1 single, with the possibility to turn the single bedroom into another bathroom if so desired
● Two of the bedrooms provide attractive original Victorian fireplaces with pine mantle surrounds
● Ample storage cupboards that are unusual for a cottage of this period
● The dining room features a fine open fireplace, with pretty pine mantle surround and a raised brick hearth
● Kitchen is fitted with a range of bespoke pine-fronted cupboard units and a recently fitted Franke stainless steel sink. There is a Baxi gas-fired boiler that supplies the central heating and hot water, and there is plumbing for a washing machine and dishwasher
● Delightful private gardens
● The meadow/paddock with separate access via the bridle path
● Large double garage with pedestrian access via oak door featuring handmade blacksmith hinges
● Oak gate giving access to the bridle path from the terrace
● The interior of the property has been consistently maintained and lovingly cared for by the present owners throughout their occupation
● Full gas central heating and security alarm
Summary of accommodation: Reception lobby, cloakroom, drawing room, dining room, kitchen, 4 bedrooms, modern bathroom with power shower, double detached garage.
Gardens and grounds:
Delightful cottage gardens with a brick laid path passing well-stocked herbaceous borders, leading to the top lawn that overlooks the ha-ha into the meadow/paddock. The double detached garage has lighting and power with an electric up and over door There are cottage gardens to the front that include a fine wisteria and a red brick retaining wall.
Gardens & paddock extending to 0.7 acres / 0.3 hectares approximately.
Local facilities: Purley has a thriving and active community and is perfectly situated to enjoy the best of the River Thames and surrounding countryside, whilst giving excellent transport links with shops and amenities nearby.
Tilehurst train station is nearby, giving fast train connections to London Paddington and Reading. Reading town centre is 4 miles, with a bus route via the Oxford Road to Reading and neighbouring towns and the M4 Junction 12 at Theale is just 6 miles (all measurements are approximately).
There is a marina in Purley on Thames for the boating enthusiast, and lovely walks to be enjoyed in nearby Sulham woods.
Waitrose is situated a few minutes drive as well as the village shop that incorporates a Post Office. Within a short distance is the thriving village of Pangbourne which has a fine selection of award winning independent shops, a small supermarket, a health centre, dentists, a library, hairdressers, riverside pubs and fine restaurants. Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens is enjoyable for young families to visit to see the interesting animals, the birds, the gardens, the play parks, the splash pool and the miniature train. The nearby National Trust property at Basildon Park is a Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
Excellent schools: Purley Lodge Cottage is close to the Ofsted rated Purley Primary C of E School and, also, within the catchment is Denefield Secondary school. Pangbourne College, Bradfield College and St Andrew`s Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory School, Downe House, Cranford House, Queen Anne`s and Moulsford Preparatory School.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter turn left and at the mini roundabout turn left again. Proceed through Pangbourne towards Reading on the A329 and upon entering Purley on Thames, turn left at the traffic lights into Purley Lane. Continue down the hill over the railway bridge into Purley Village and Purley Lodge Cottage will be found on the left hand side of the road at the right angle bend by the bridle path.
Services: Mains gas, electricity, water and drainage.
Post Code: RG8 8AT
Local Authority and Council Tax Band: West Berkshire. Band E
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.