- Grade II listed cottage
- Two large reception rooms
- Useful store rooms
- Pretty Gardens
- Pangbourne office 0118 9842662
- Five bedrooms
- Character features throughout Oak plank flooring and fireplaces
- Garage and parking
- Walk to Pangbourne shops and station.
Whitchurch-on-Thames village centre, a few minutes` walk to Pangbourne shops and train station ● Fast trains to London Paddington (47 minutes) ● M4 (junc 12) 6 miles.
Heathrow 45 mins. Reading 6 miles (all distances and timings approx.)
2,717 sq ft / 252 m²
all measurements are approximate)
Number 2 Duchess Close is quite likely to be one of the oldest cottages still in existence within the heart of this splendid period Thameside village. Within easy walking distance of the two village pubs, the River Thames and the wonderful facilities that Pangbourne offers, including the train station.
This 5 bedroom cottage is the centre of a terrace of three; it is Grade II listed and dates back to the 17th century where there was a small single storey cott on the site believed to be built by the Stone family who later erected a much grander timber frame Yeoman house. Through the ages this wonderful old house has had many different uses including storage for carts for the Blacksmith across the way, it was owned at one time by Sam Gardner who was Lord of the Manor and from the 1700s to the late 1800s, it was a doctors surgery for a succession of doctors.
So unusual in a wonderful period property of this type, there are excellent ceiling heights throughout. There are fine examples of original open log fires, one fitted with a wood burning stove and the sitting room enjoying a large working log fire. All rooms enjoy lots of light from large windows, a number of them sash.
Duchess Close shares a private access drive which leads round to a single garage with additional designated car parking space beside the gate to the high street.
There is a wonderful opportunity here for further restoration and improvement, although there is no doubt this property could be lived in as is.
This is a very special and rare property, steeped in history within an idyllic location.
● Kitchen/breakfast room is large with some pretty examples of original shutters to the sash window, a large open fireplace with Bessemer beam across a raised hearth fitted with a wood burning stove, presently converted to gas
● The whole of the kitchen/breakfast room is quarry tiled with a large hardwood breakfast bar, lots of oak cupboards, drawers and once again, very high ceilings
● A door from the dining room gives access to an original staircase rising to the first floor with a fine original oak balustrade and a window overlooking the front gardens
● The first floor airing cupboard containing a modern gas boiler
● Pretty examples of original pine doors
● Bedroom 1 has fine examples of oak timbering to the walls, a walk in wardrobe and ensuite shower room with a modern shower and lovely old fashioned tub
● There are some wonderful examples of original oak planked flooring
● The staircase to the second floor is in carved pine
● The second floor landing is spacious with good ceiling heights, there are two double bedrooms on this floor with pretty examples of early leaded light windows and pretty views across the village rooftops to the Chiltern Hills rising in the distance
● There is a brick laid path from the high street and a further path leading to the front door from the private drive access which leads passed the front of the house round to the rear where there is a single garage owned by the property
● There are pretty gardens to the front and rear with an ancient wisteria climbing the front walls
● There are a number of useful garden store rooms of good size which might have potential to be used as a small studio or office
Summary of accommodation: Entrance lobby with coat hanging area, large dining room, cloakroom, large kitchen/breakfast room, sitting room, small conservatory and rear gardens with access to garage.
First floor; landing with fine old balustrade, 3 bedrooms and study area in inner hall, family bathroom, ensuite shower room to bedroom 1.
Second floor; landing, 2 double bedrooms.
Gardens and grounds: The gardens have been maintained for many years with love and care, with fine herbaceous borders and shrubberies. The gardens are mainly to the front, but there is a pretty small conservatory to the rear leading to a secret walled garden with clematis climbing the wall, a herb garden and a productive strawberry bed. There are a number of useful garden store rooms of good size. A path leads to the rear gate to the garage owned by the property.
Local facilities: Duchess Close is within easy walking distance of Pangbourne village centre with its fine selection of award winning independent shops, a small supermarket, health centre, dentists, library, hairdressers, riverside pubs and fine restaurants. Pangbourne offers superb transport links with a fast train service to London Paddington, Oxford and Reading, the imminent Crossrail offering fast links to the City in the coming years, as well as buses to all local areas. Whitchurch-on-Thames also has two fine pubs in the Greyhound and Ferryboat. The River Thames is close by with the river meadows, part-owned by the National Trust and a footpath giving fabulous Thameside walks. A short drive away is Beale Wildlife Park & Gardens, a lovely place for young families with animals, birds, play parks, a splash pool and a miniature train. Also nearby is Basildon Park, a National Trust property featuring a splendid Georgian mansion surrounded by 400 acres of parkland.
Excellent schools: Whitchurch-on-Thames is located within easy reach of a number of fine schools. Pangbourne College, Bradfield College and St Andrew`s Preparatory School are within easy driving distance, as are The Oratory School, Downe House, Cranford House and Moulsford Preparatory School. The property is in the catchment area of Langtree Secondary School at Woodcote, and Whitchurch Primary School has an outstanding record.
Directions: From the offices of Singleton & Daughter turn left, left again at the mini roundabout and left at the mini roundabout at The George Hotel. Cross over the River Thames toll bridge, proceed along the High Street and pass The Ferryboat pub, pass the Greyhound pub, turn immediately right, there is a pedestrian entrance on the left hand side marked number 2 Duchess Close, there is private parking only for 1 and 2 Duchess Close in this area, and there is a pedestrian entrance gate along on the left hand side, directly off the private driveway with a rear entrance to the garage and gardens.
Services: All mains including gas.
Post Code: RG8 7EN
Local Authority: South Oxfordshire Council Tax Band: G
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.