- 2 double bedrooms with a 3rd single bedroom or study
- 150 ft (approx) garden enjoying the southerly sunshine
- In superb order throughout
- Single garage with hard standing for parking
- Excellent ceiling heights
- Walk to schools, pub, shop and the very beautiful Ridgeway
- bathroom & shower room
- Catchment for the highly regarded Downs secondary school and primary
- Beautiful location. Good sized rooms
- Light & bright
Pangbourne 9 miles ● Newbury 11 miles ● Didcot Parkway 12 miles (trains to Paddington 45 minutes) ● Reading 15 miles ● Oxford 20 miles ● Heathrow 1 hour (all distances /timings are approximate)
1,248 sq ft / 116 m² (all measurements are approximate)
A very pretty 3 bedroom semi-detached 18th century cottage, beautifully restored and valuably unlisted with some recent additions.
Situated on the private Painsbridge Estate and having undergone complete restoration, refurbishment and modernisation including extension of recent times so that the property presents in first class order throughout.
1 Queensborough Cottages is situated within the magnificent Berkshire Downs, part of the North Wessex Downs which are noted to be of outstanding rural beauty.
The property is entered from a private road and set in pretty gardens measuring some 150 foot in depth by 40 foot across at the widest part behind the property, with gardens mainly laid to lawn. The garden enjoys the southerly sun and has a pretty stone laid patio for summer dining and barbecues,
● The interior of the property has been tastefully refitted with a modern kitchen with an extensive range of cupboards and drawers, with a hardwood work surface, 1.5 bowl enamel sink unit and a double electric oven with 4 ring propane hob and extractor hood over
● The sitting room has an original open fireplace with bread ovens, presently fitted with a wood burning stove
● There is a door from the dining room leading directly out onto the garden and a door from the kitchen leading to a rear patio
● The first floor has a spacious landing, a good-sized family bathroom and 2 double bedrooms with lovely views
● Both the bathroom and the shower room are of modern design and fittings
● The property has replacement primary double-glazed windows throughout with a substantial hardwood part glazed panelled door giving access to the garden
● There is a single garage to the rear of the front garden
● The private lane giving access has a remote-controlled access gate, with a pedestrian button (see note)
● There is a right of way access from the Wallingford Road
● A modern Worcester propane fired gas boiler supplies central heating and domestic hot water
Summary of accommodation: Ground floor: kitchen/breakfast room, dining room, sitting room, 3rd bedroom - study/child`s bedroom with ensuite shower room, utility room with plumbing for washing machine and vent for tumble dryer.
First floor: 2 double bedrooms with family bathroom.
Single garage, hard standing areas for further parking.
Gardens: Pretty gardens measuring approximately 150 foot in depth, including the garage and hard standing, by 40 foot across the widest part behind the property with the gardens mainly laid to lawn. The rear garden enjoys the southerly sun and has a pretty stone laid terrace for summer dining and barbecues.
1. The electrically operated entrance gate to the Painsbridge Estate, which also gives privacy and security to 1 Queensborough Cottages, is owned by Painsbridge Barn and the owners of the barn are responsible for maintenance and repair. The gate is operated at a minimal cost from a mains power supply control within the garage of 1 Queensborough Cottage and runs on a a12v battery which has an auto recharge control when required, annual amount of £100 is to be paid to 1 Queensborough Cottages to cover the cost of the small amount of electricity used by the gate.
2. 1 Queensborough Cottages is presently let on an Assured Shorthold Tenancy Agreement, with 3 months- notice period required for tenants to vacate.
Local facilities: Compton is a quiet rural village on the edge of the Berkshire Downs, which is part of the very famous North Wessex Downs, an area noted to be of outstanding natural beauty. Situated just north of Newbury, yet extremely conveniently located with excellent access to major road and rail routes.
Mentioned in the Doomsday Book, Compton has a beautiful 13th century flint walled Parish church and many period buildings reflecting its long architectural heritage. There is a Post Office with a village general store, a barber, surgery, village hall, a play group, crèche, a Scout/Guide hut and a sports and recreation Centre. There is a cricket club and a running group. For the walker and equestrians there are many lovely footpaths and bridle paths around the village and on the Ridgeway.
Compton has long been associated with horse racing, and the village pub is named after the famous Grand National winner Foinavon, the pub has a restaurant and boutique hotel accommodation.
Schools: The village has two highly regarded schools with the same head teacher. The CE primary school and The Downs secondary school which is Ofsted rated `Outstanding`. There are excellent schooling facilities within easy driving distance to include; Pangbourne College, Bradfield College, St Andrew`s Preparatory School, Downe House, Brockhurst & Marlston House Preparatory School and Elstree Preparatory School.
Directions: In the village of Compton, with the Foinavon Public House on your left, turn into Horn Street, proceed along this road and bear round to the right into the Wallingford Road. Proceed to the end of this road and you will come to a bridge on your right, bear left before the bridge and there is an electric gate with a push button control to open, proceed onto the track, past Queensborough Cottage, proceed along the drive to the very end where Meadow Farm will be on the right, and on the left, the entrance to Painsbridge Barn.
Post Code: RG20 6PU
Services: Full propane gas fired central heating, hot water and for hob cooking, modern sewage treatment plant drainage, mains electricity and water. The propane gas tank is concealed underground.
EPC Rating: E
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band D
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.