Guide Price £849,000 - Available
Pangbourne shops & train station 3 miles ● Reading 10 miles ● Newbury 12 miles ● M4 (Junction 12) 5 miles (all distances are approximate)
2,822 sq ft / 262 m² (all measurements are approximate)
Gardens & Grounds 0.5 acre / 0.18 ha (all measurements are approximate)
An unusually spacious Victorian 4 bedroom semi-detached house set in a peaceful location in this highly sought after semi-rural village.
This is a fabulous, character family home, the gardens have been landscaped with wide York terrace for summer entertaining, extensive lawns and shrubberies.
Red Villa was, for a long while, known as the Red Villa Store & Post Office. Set on a peaceful rural lane mainly used as access to neighbouring properties, with wide vehicular access to one side also enabling visiting car parking, with a long sweeping drive leading to the far end of the garden and the double garage.
Upper Basildon is surrounded by countryside of outstanding natural beauty with many footpaths and bridleways. Within the heart of the village there is a pub, church, and an excellent village hall which stages many events during the course of the year. There is also a large recreation ground to the side of the village hall for villagers to use with tennis courts and a , a mini and a full sized football pitch, outdoor ‘gym` , a zip wire and a toddler play area.
● The kitchen has been beautifully fitted, designed with great care, with double white enamel butler sink, granite work surfaces, an island breakfast bar with cupboards under, dishwasher, 6-ring 2-oven range, oak flooring, this room directly leads into a large dining area which could easily accommodate ten people round a table, and a fine stone carved open fireplace, double aspect large windows give pretty views and lots of light
● There is an excellent large cellar
● The drawing room has a fabulous open log fire and a vaulted beamed ceiling and underfloor heating
● The sitting room also has an original log fire and bespoke fitted shelves and cupboards
● The very large cloakroom adjacent to bedroom 4, could hold a bath or shower if so desired
● Large utility room with newly fitted shelves and cupboards
● Typical of the Victorian period, all the rooms are light and spacious, fabulous large windows especially to the drawing room and the ceiling heights will accommodate the tallest owner
● The first floor has a large family bathroom beautifully fitted with shower and under floor heating
● All three bedrooms to the first floor have the original Victorian fireplaces, bedrooms 2 and 3 have fitted wardrobes
● Many of the windows have had replacement windows fitted, which include the French doors from the family room, all in keeping with the period and all these windows primary double-glazed
Summary of accommodation: Ground floor: entrance hall, drawing room, sitting room, family room, kitchen/breakfast room linked to large dining area, inner hallway, bedroom 4, cloakroom with potential to fit a shower or bath, large utility room. First floor: 3 bedrooms, large bathroom with shower. Large cellar. Detached double garage.
Gardens: Landscaped gardens with wide York terrace for summer entertaining, extensive lawns, mature trees and shrubberies; plenty of room to kick a football.
Gardens & Grounds extending to 0.5 acre/0.18 hectare.
Local facilities: Upper Basildon is a much sought after village situated in an area of outstanding natural beauty. Enjoying a very active community; the village hall hosts a number of events during the course of the year including the popular village Market one Saturday a month. The village recreational ground has a football club and an excellent tennis club. The Red Lion is a popular pub serving local ales and food. Various clubs and activities use the church centre and or the main church.
For the equestrian enthusiast there are many bridle paths surrounding the village. There is an excellent sporting complex open to public membership at Bradfield College with indoor tennis courts, squash, indoor swimming pool, fitness centre, etc. There are plenty of golf clubs nearby and the Royal Berkshire Shooting School is within easy driving distance.
Upper Basildon benefits from being a few minutes` drive from the nearby Thames side village of Pangbourne which offers a range of amenities including a splendid selection of specialist shops including a butchers, cheese shop, organic farm shop, supermarket, library, doctors, dental practices, hairdressers, pubs and restaurants. Pangbourne station offers fast train links to London Paddington (approx. 45 minutes), Oxford and Reading (soon to have Crossrail giving fast links to The City). Junction 12 of the M4 at Theale is only 6 miles drive giving easy access to airports.
Schools: There are plenty of schools in the area; Upper Basildon Primary School and St Andrew`s Preparatory School is only a few minutes` drive, as are Pangbourne College and Bradfield College. There is also The Oratory School, St Finians, Cranford House, Moulsford Boys School, Downe House, all within easy driving distance. There are bus pick up points locally for Abingdon Boys and St Helen & St Katharine Girls schools in Abingdon and Reading School for boys and Kendrick School for girls in Reading are easily accessible by a short train journey from Pangbourne.
Directions: From the offices of Dudley Singleton & Daughter, turn left, proceed over the mini roundabout turning first right into Pangbourne Hill. Proceed to the top of the hill, just after the entrance to Pangbourne College on the left, turn right signposted Upper Basildon. Continue through the heart of the village passing the church, the green and past The Red Lion pub on the right. Carry on along The Aldworth Road, and take the first left into Ashampstead Road. At the cross-roads turn right, sign posted towards Upper Basildon, Lower Basildon, Pangbourne and Streatley, a short distance along Red Villa will be found on the left, with parking available outside the gates.
Post Code: RG8 8SU
Services: Mains water, electricity, gas & drainage.
Local Authority & Council Tax Band: West Berkshire, Band F
Viewing by arrangement with vendor`s agent, Dudley Singleton & Daughter, No. 1 Station Road, Pangbourne, Berkshire, RG8 7AN.
Tel: 0118 984 2662
Websites: www.singletonanddaughter.co.uk, www.rightmove.co.uk, www.mayfairoffice.co.uk, www.onthemarket.com, www.countrylife.co.uk
London Office: Cashel House, 15 Thayer Street, London, W1U 3JT.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Dudley Singleton & Daughter for themselves and for the vendors of this property, whose agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are intended to give a fair and substantially correct overall description for the guidance of intending purchasers, and do not constitute part of an offer or contract. No responsibility is assumed for the accuracy of individual items. We relied upon our own brief inspection and information supplied to us by the vendors. (i) The description, including photographs of the property and its contents, are intended to be a guide only rather than a detailed and accurate report and inventory. (ii) Floor plans, measurements, areas and distances are intended to be approximately only. (iii) Prospective purchasers are strongly advised to check measurements. The position of bathroom fittings as shown on the plan is indicative only – sizes, shapes and the exact locations may differ. Wall thicknesses, together with window and door sizes are approximate only and window and door openings are shown without frame details. (iv) Photographs are not necessarily comprehensive or current and no assumption should be made that any contents shown in them are included in the sale.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, references to condition and necessary permission for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith, and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to the correctness of each of them:
3. No person in the employment of Dudley Singleton & Daughter has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for any expenses incurred by intending purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
FIXTURES AND FITTINGS: The agent has not tested any apparatus, equipment, fixtures, fittings or services and so cannot verify that they are in working order or fit for their purpose. The buyer is advised to obtain verification from their Solicitor or surveyor.
From the offices of Dudley Singleton turn left, proceed over the mini roundabout turning first right into Pangbourne Hill. Proceed to the top of the hill, just after the entrance to Pangbourne College on the left, turn right signposted Upper Basildon. This is the Aldworth road. Proceed through the heart of the village passing the church, the green and The Red Lion pub on the right. After approximately 0.5 mile turn left at the second cross roads, signposted to Yattendon and Ashampstead. Red Villa will be found a short distance along the lane on the right hand side immediately after Captains Gorse.
Please note we have not tested any apparatus, fixtures, fittings, or services. Interested parties must undertake their own investigation into the working order of these items. All measurements are approximate and photographs provided for guidance only.
- Victorian semi-detached property
- Spacious ground floor reception rooms
- Period features open fireplaces
- Double garage / cellar
- 4 bedrooms
- Large kitchen/dining room
- Large lawned garden
- Peaceful location
The Energy-Efficiency Rating is a measure of a home's overall efficiency. The higher the rating, the more energy-efficient the home is, and the lower the fuel bills are likely to be.
The Environmental Impact Rating is a measure of a home's impact on the environment in terms of carbon dioxide (C02) emissions - the higher the rating, the less impact it has on the environment.